Body Interior Exterior Lighting

3rd brake light flasher on 2012 sport sedan

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 12:41 AM
OMYG37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3rd brake light flasher on 2012 sport sedan

I recently installed a third brake light flasher after reading about a programmable model that had accelerometers and all sorts of fancy settings.
Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module with brake force monitor Vehicle Brake Light Flasher Module with Brake Force Trigger. [FLSHR_G1] - $29.95 : 3rd Brake Flasher Web Site
you can change just about everything...

initial flash count and speed,
medium braking flash count and speed,
heavy braking flash count and speed,
lockout time,
etc.

i did the initial programming on my bench, it took some time to wrap my head around the menu structure, and i wired a momentary switch to the programming wires to make it easier, but once i had it set the way i wanted it it was time to install.

the kit comes with crimp on bullet connectors and wire taps. in the sedan you remove the 5 locking pins in the top of the trunk liner and pull down to access the wires.

you snip the positive wire, crimp on the connectors, and then tap into the ground wire and thats pretty much it. i used 2sided foam tape to mount the unit in the correct orientation so the accelerometers work properly.

some initial setup issues were worked out quickly and i absolutely love the product now.

it kinda grabs your attention and says "HEY! IM BRAKING!" in a cool, yes-its-modified kinda way.

heres some vids

https://goo.gl/photos/E6FDCFZxqSNyrone6

https://goo.gl/photos/kRNgadvZoYbpJ4qA9
Old 02-12-2017, 11:22 PM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Looks cool. I got something like that but it seems like a PITA to get to the third brake light. How was the process of getting to the third brake light? I know you said remove the 5 locking pins, but was the process hard? I think I was reading somewhere you have to remove the back seat as well to get access there.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:43 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
awesome

so you just got that module, and tapped into positive and negative wire on the third brake light?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:25 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wowwed
Looks cool. I got something like that but it seems like a PITA to get to the third brake light. How was the process of getting to the third brake light? I know you said remove the 5 locking pins, but was the process hard? I think I was reading somewhere you have to remove the back seat as well to get access there.
if you want accecss to the actual third brake light you have to remove the back seat, center rest, plastic covers on the sides of the bench, side pillars, and rear shelf. But the wiring to the third brake light can be easily accessed through the trunk by removing the 4 plastic pins or whatever you call them where the speakers are.
The following users liked this post:
wowwed (02-18-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:15 PM
White_2013_G37x

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ordered one, do you happen to remember the color code for the wiring on the brake light? Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 10:25 PM
OMYG37S
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wowwed
once you remove the 5 pins in the top of the trunk liner, it drops down and you have full access to wires.

Originally Posted by staskz
awesome

so you just got that module, and tapped into positive and negative wire on the third brake light?
thats right! very easy mod.

Originally Posted by staskz
if you want accecss to the actual third brake light you have to remove the back seat, center rest, plastic covers on the sides of the bench, side pillars, and rear shelf. But the wiring to the third brake light can be easily accessed through the trunk by removing the 4 plastic pins or whatever you call them where the speakers are.
this is correct

Originally Posted by White_2013_G37x
I ordered one, do you happen to remember the color code for the wiring on the brake light? Thanks
in mine (2012 sedan) the GREEN wire was positive and black was ground, but please... use a multimeter for your own install. cant be too sure with electronics, you send one magic pixie down the wrong tube and kaput
The following users liked this post:
wowwed (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 07:54 AM
wowwed
Premier Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'll try to install mine sometime next week.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:56 AM
Saltman
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts
That's pretty awesome. Subbed for future mod