Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Clutch slave cylinder issues - clutch replacement in Frederick MD

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 01:09 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clutch slave cylinder issues - clutch replacement in Frederick MD

Hi all!

2009 G37 6MT, in Frederick MD area.

My clutch pedal has been sticking recently ( it won't always return when pressed), brought it to a shop and it's a problem with the Slave cylinder. They recommended replacing flywheel and everything while doing it (car is just over 100K miles now), gave a quote of $4K for the whole job. That's including pressure plate, cylinders, flywheel, parts & labor.

So I'm trying to get the cash together and in the meantime I called the dealership who quoted $3K for the whole job, which is slightly better. The place I tried originally uses OEM parts and I guess there's a markup. I'll probably try a few other local private shops and see if I can do any better on the quote.

Any advice? Has anyone had this service done in the Frederick MD (DC) area or that can recommend a place?

Also another option, I've seen some good aftermarket clutch kits recommended on this forum for much less than the parts price quoted to me already but I'm not sure where or how I'd go about getting installed and not sure of everything I'd need to order for that...
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
you may have a few options. are you the original owner, and do you plan to keep it for a while? do you want to keep everything OE-equivalent (stock parts)? the dealers will all use OEM parts. independents will use OEM or aftermarket depending on what you direct them. even better, many independents will allow you to provide your own parts and they'll just do the install labor. they just won't warranty the parts - you essentially provide your own warranty from whomever you buy the parts from.

the flywheel is a big ticket item, but it does not necessarily need to be replaced. if the shop knows their stuff they can tell what condition the original flywheel is in and if there are hot spots on it. my flywheel was fine when i had some gearbox work done a couple years ago - so it is not a given that the flywheel must be replaced. a lot of shops will not resurface a dual mass flywheel but some will if they are experienced.

if your friction disc is worn then it makes sense to do the whole pressure plate assembly as a unit (it comes with a disc). but that's if it is worn. at 100k if the disc is original it may be getting worn. that all depends on you and your commute (hills, etc) - or the guy before you.

if the real issue is the CSC then you have to re + re that part. but you'll hear a lot of guys tell you to upgrade to the Z Speed HD CSC. a bit more but it is supposedly bulletproof. the good (or bad) news is to re + re the CSC they have to drop the gearbox. that's a lot of labor, but at least it allows access to the other clutch parts so you don't pay labor twice.

if you are doing the CSC, do the master cylinder at the same time, and flush the system with fresh fluid.

so, you may be able to get away with just the CSC + MC replacements if your flywheel and clutch is ok. but if all the parts are worn you may be looking at $2-3k depending on which route you take.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:07 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
at 100K miles might as well change everything when you are dropping the transmission to change the CSC.
Please pdo not skip the clutch master cylinder after dropping big bucks to change the CSC. It is absolutely a must to change the MC as well. Highly recommend you get the HD CSC from zspeed or equivalent from z1 or other vendors if you plan to keep the car for a while.

OEM CSC will fail again eventually. If you will keep the car for a long term, might as well change the clutch and flywheel as well.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:58 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Presto
Please pdo not skip the clutch master cylinder after dropping big bucks to change the CSC. It is absolutely a must to change the MC as well.
Don't forget that Ryan@RJM has designed a MC replacement:

370Z/G37 Clutch Master Cylinders - RJM Performance.com

Originally Posted by Presto
OEM CSC will fail again eventually.
Not necessarily... OP has 100k miles on his car. Also, RJM claims there's a relationship, where the OEM clutch pedal exasperates the design flaw in the OEM CSC. So maybe replacing the clutch pedal assembly is a good idea too, as part & parcel to the total job.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-19-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 AM
mikec442
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if he's still there, but John Potter who owns Quality Transmissions on Highland Street (behind the Fairgrounds) rebuilt the 5MT in my 2000 Maxima before I bought my G37.

Replaced clutch, etc while he was in there. Did an awesome job at a real good price but it took him a while to do it since he was by himself for a while after his other mechanic left. Really honest, nice guy.

His number is 301-620-1090.

Mike
Old 01-19-2017, 01:44 PM
SM_Shadowman

Thanks everyone for their input so far
Old 01-19-2017, 02:42 PM
SM_Shadowman

Update: I did some calling and found a shop (well-recommended) closer to home (last one was in Montgomery Co) that will do the whole shebang for under $2K, parts and labor.

They are fine with me bringing in parts also -- in that case I probably will want to get the upgraded Z-speed CSC, maybe the MC also? What exactly do I need to buy here? E.g. would I need to buy both the Zspeed CSC and the RJM Master Cylinder that was recommended?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:42 PM
ZSpeedPerformance
Former Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Check out Hills Garage as well, Not sure how close they are to you but they know these cars very well.
You can upgrade to the HD CSC or our CMAK CSC delete kit. I would recommend a new master with either one to prevent problems down the road.

Here is a link to our Stage 1 Complete kit, Basically everything you'll need to make it bulletproof!
ZSpeed Performance Nissan Infinti OEM & Performance Parts
If you think you need more clutch than this (this is fine for stock or bolt ons) you can look into our Stage 2 Kit below it.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I have a new master cylinder for cheap in the classifieds..
Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 AM
SM_Shadowman

Originally Posted by ZSpeedPerformance
Check out Hills Garage as well, Not sure how close they are to you but they know these cars very well.
You can upgrade to the HD CSC or our CMAK CSC delete kit. I would recommend a new master with either one to prevent problems down the road.

Here is a link to our Stage 1 Complete kit, Basically everything you'll need to make it bulletproof!
ZSpeed Performance Nissan Infinti OEM & Performance Parts
If you think you need more clutch than this (this is fine for stock or bolt ons) you can look into our Stage 2 Kit below it.
Thanks for the links. I found Hills, they are close to an hour away, but might be worth it anyway since they seem to specialize in Nissan/Infiniti and know the cars well. I contacted for a quote at least
Old 01-20-2017, 10:31 AM
Bocian
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Welcome to the failed csc club. I had mine go out at about 76k. After all the research I did, everyone has said that the master cylinder needs to be replaced too. When the csc blows out, shrapnel can travel to the master and then back to the new csc which seems to be a lot more vulnerable to failure. Me and a friend dropped the transmission and my clutch/flywheel were good so I left it all alone, but if I were you, at that mileage I'd definitely replace it all, especially if you're planning on keeping the car and you're paying someone for the labor, no sense in paying twice for the clutch later on. Also with the new csc, I'd say either go for the upgraded one or get the rjm clutch pedal assembly. The rjm pedal not only vastly improves the clutch feel but it also helps with the wearing out of the csc. Sorry to see another csc out of pocket victim, good luck