Sponsored by:

Coupe sound - Finally!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Coupe sound - Finally!

After months and months of research and a bit of trial and error, I can finally hear that famous VQ sound coming from the back of my sedan. The solution couldn't be simpler. Replace the stock resonators on the mid-pipe with an aftermarket set. Before I get into the details, let me just give some quick background information.

Ever since I first heard the g37 coupe, I've been in love with how it sounds. If I see one on the road, I'll purposefully roll my windows down just to catch a hint of the noise coming from the tailpipes. Why doesn't my car sound that good?! I'd ask myself that question all the time. Most of you on here know the difference between the coupe and sedan exhaust layout so I'm not going to go into too much detail regarding that but if anyone would like some clarification I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Ok so now back to my exhaust modification. I had a local shop cut out the stock resonators and replace them with a pair that is roughly half the size of the original. There was nothing flashy about these new resonators, they were just a pair laying around on the parts shelf that needed a new home.

They were welded into place along with a new piece of extension piping to mate them to the rest of the mid-pipe. After they checked for any leaks and vibrations, I started up the car for the first time... And it's been smiles ever since.

That signature VQ bellow is now present and I couldn't be happier. There is no drone, rasp, or unwanted rattles in the cabin with this setup. Just pure exhaust music. It is not loud by any stretch of the imagination. If you're looking to increase the volume like an aftermarket cat back would, then this mod is not for you. But if you want a subtle change in exhaust sound that is most definitely noticeable, then this is it.

It's the perfect exhaust note for the sedan in my opinion. It carries essentially the same tone as the coupe and sounds like it goes hand in hand with the car. All in all, it cost me about $280 and just over an hour of my time. I will also post up some pictures to give you an idea of what the setup looks like. Please feel free to ask any questions! I'm totally in love with this car all over again.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:47 PM
g37socal
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for doing this. I'm like you, someone who loves the sound of the coupe and nothing more. I'm going to sit tight and wait for the pics and measurements of the resonators you've used. If you could get a sound clip posted, that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-25-2016, 06:31 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Definitely. I'll get some pics tomorrow morning and a video of a cold start.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:26 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Here a few pictures I took this morning underneath the car. As you can see, the new resonators are roughly half the length of the original ones (the new piece of metal tubing fills in the remaining gap).

Last edited by Nitro15; 09-26-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:44 AM
Nitro15
Registered Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdsc...ature=youtu.be

Camera falls down right after start up but you still get a good idea of the sound. I'll try and take some better videos this week.

Last edited by Nitro15; 09-26-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:02 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice job, and way to keep a viable mod w/ not much coin & time involved. Add the info to this thread when you can, would be a valuable addition. Would also be a good option for those adding HFCs for more volume without the rasp that can occur when combined w/ CBEs. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...st-thread.html
Old 09-26-2016, 12:46 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice job, and way to keep a viable mod w/ not much coin & time involved. Add the info to this thread when you can, would be a valuable addition. Would also be a good option for those adding HFCs for more volume without the rasp that can occur when combined w/ CBEs. https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...st-thread.html
Thanks Blnewt. What do you mean by "add the info to this thread"? I just want this to be as informative/helpful as possible.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:10 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice work man, I did similar, but just used a coupe mid pipe
Old 09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Nice work man, I did similar, but just used a coupe mid pipe
Yes! A video you posted in an earlier thread inspired me to give this a shot. The only thing I regret is waiting so long to finally do it.
The following users liked this post:
ANMVQ (09-28-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 03:51 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
We need a drive by clip
Old 09-26-2016, 04:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitro15
Thanks Blnewt. What do you mean by "add the info to this thread"? I just want this to be as informative/helpful as possible.
That link I posted is for the Sedan Exhaust thread that's a "sticky" on the sedan folder, would be good to add this project to that list.
guy from norcal (09-26-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 12:39 AM
g37socal
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet Nitro! What a difference that has made. This brings a great option to those of us who can't run hfc due to smog regulations. Your cold start up sounded very similar to a coupe at a cold start up.

It looks like you used a 12" vibrant bottle style resonator with a 2.25" inlet/outlet. Could you confirm this nitro?

You've gave me and others a a very nice insight of future mods.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:55 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry but that sounds terrible.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37socal
Sweet Nitro! What a difference that has made. This brings a great option to those of us who can't run hfc due to smog regulations. Your cold start up sounded very similar to a coupe at a cold start up.

It looks like you used a 12" vibrant bottle style resonator with a 2.25" inlet/outlet. Could you confirm this nitro?

You've gave me and others a a very nice insight of future mods.
Thanks! I'm glad you like it... I'm not sure what brand the actual resonator is but I'd have to say its about 12". My mechanic had a spare set laying around the shop and they seemed like a good size so I went for it. I'll take a measurement and let you know for sure.

After driving around for a few days now, it sounds even better. You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:57 PM
Nitro15
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
That link I posted is for the Sedan Exhaust thread that's a "sticky" on the sedan folder, would be good to add this project to that list.
Gotcha, will do.
blnewt (09-27-2016)

Quick Reply: Coupe sound - Finally!