Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn plug-n-play version now available

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 03:14 PM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn plug-n-play version now available

Not sure if this was already announced/posted but the long-awaited plug n play version of the tail-as-turn module is now on the website. Just got mine yesterday.

DIY seemed simple enough but I know many, including myself, were looking for something plug and play.

For anyone confused - the plug n play version for the coupe has been available for quite some time, but it's been a long time coming for G37 Sedan owners.

EDIT: Forgot to share the link.
http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/c.../category/766/

Last edited by bsanalyst; 09-20-2016 at 04:59 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by bsanalyst:
Kaykoose (09-20-2016), Quiver (09-21-2016), Ra_BiiGGa (09-21-2016), sask83 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 05:22 PM
Kaykoose
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ordered mine last night. Can't wait to get it
Old 09-20-2016, 07:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
It's on my list as something for my kids to get me at Xmas. They don't know yet.

IDK why I want this... It's not like I'll ever see it as the driver. But it's still cool, PnP easy, and the price is right.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:34 PM
ChriSX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow nice !!!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:41 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Been waiting for a while for DD to release this!

Catch is, in the meantime, I heard that doing this mod on coupes causes the front and rear turn signals to awkwardly become out of sync when the brake is applied while signalling.

Can anyone/DD comment on whether or not this is a side effect to this mod?
Old 09-20-2016, 10:54 PM
007pipeline
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
It's on my list as something for my kids to get me at Xmas. They don't know yet.

IDK why I want this... It's not like I'll ever see it as the driver. But it's still cool, PnP easy, and the price is right.

i have no idea why either, but i just ordered them..
Old 09-21-2016, 12:47 AM
G10
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
A group buy might be a better deal. I am hoping someone set's one up.
Old 09-21-2016, 07:39 AM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Been waiting for a while for DD to release this!

Catch is, in the meantime, I heard that doing this mod on coupes causes the front and rear turn signals to awkwardly become out of sync when the brake is applied while signalling.

Can anyone/DD comment on whether or not this is a side effect to this mod?

I asked about this question a while ago and DD gave me the following resopnse. However this was regarding the universal DIY kit, not the PNP kit, so I'm not sure if it's any different.

Originally Posted by dust10
I Noticed that my front and rear turn signals flash in sync until I hit the brake and then they flash out of sync. Once I release the brake they start flashing synchronously again. Is this normal or did I maybe get some wires crossed?
I heard about this as an issue, which was keeping me from pulling the trigger on the DIY module. Could anyone else with the kit advise if they are experiencing the same, or maybe Nick from DD can help shed some light?

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
The tail as turn modules are designed so brake lighting takes precedence over the turn signal. It's safer to have the brake lighting illuminate first vs. the turn signals.

Feel free to give us a call if you would like more information about the kit: (314) 205-3033

Thanks!
Nick C.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G10
A group buy might be a better deal. I am hoping someone set's one up.
It's only $40.

That said, since I'm waiting anyway, I would participate in a group buy. Set one up for $30, and I'll buy it right now.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Thanks for your interest everyone! We will not be offering a group buy on this item.

Originally Posted by STownSaint
I heard that doing this mod on coupes causes the front and rear turn signals to awkwardly become out of sync when the brake is applied while signalling.
That is correct, when brake is applied, the light is already on, so the turn signal activates by shutting off first, then on, so it alternates with the front. Again, this is while both brake and turn signal are applied, just part of the way this kit works. Honestly, I've been running the kit for a long time on my coupe, and it's impossible to notice this feature while you're driving, which is the only time you'd have the brake and turn applied.

Please shoot us an email or PM if you have any further questions!
The following 2 users liked this post by Diode Dynamics:
Quiver (09-21-2016), Rochester (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Thanks for your interest everyone! We will not be offering a group buy on this item.
No problem. Just don't raise the price and you have my order come Xmas.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:03 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Ordered mine this morning for the Q50...after thought and consideration, I'm not sure if it would be any benefit for the Q50.
It looks like the kit only enables the brake LED section on the Q50 and not the whole LED taillight like in the G37.

This is a video I found and it is not from Diode Dynamics, but I'm sure it will be the same result.
Old 09-21-2016, 10:43 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
This is a video I found and it is not from Diode Dynamics, but I'm sure it will be the same result.
That is correct. The larger running light cannot blink as a turn signal because it only serves as a lower power intensity, as the running light. It is not two-stage brightness like the G37. As with all other Tail as Turn kits, the main advantage on the kit is the LED appearance rather than the small circle lit up with incandescent. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
dragion (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 11:08 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
That is correct. The larger running light cannot blink as a turn signal because it only serves as a lower power intensity, as the running light. It is not two-stage brightness like the G37. As with all other Tail as Turn kits, the main advantage on the kit is the LED appearance rather than the small circle lit up with incandescent. Thanks!
Thanks for the reply and explanation.

A bit disappointing to know...I hope that the mod is worthy "upgrade" and has a plus to its functionality over just its looks.
I'm sure it will be a better solution at night where it will be more visible to other drivers, but during the daytime is my concern.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:12 PM
PG-v36_6MT

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
I've tried the universal kit and it works as advertised. It's a great, cheap mod. However, I took it off after I noticed the front and rear out-of-sync signal when brakes are applied.

While it's true you'll never notice it, at least during the day, the fact that other drivers would notice it and I could see it at night when stopped really bugged me. So, I went with JDM tails and Triton LEDs instead.

It all comes down to preference, so if the out-of-sync signal doesn't bother you, then I would jump on this. The universal kit was pretty easy to install, so this plug-n-play version will be cake.

The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (09-22-2016)

Quick Reply: Diode Dynamics Tail as Turn plug-n-play version now available