Eibach Springs + spacers review

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 02:51 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^ so you removed the spacers and springs and reverted back to stock because those mods were deteriorating the life of your tires?

I think some people get an alignment and camberkit which solves the problem?
Old 12-07-2016, 03:22 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by zonnie
^ so you removed the spacers and springs and reverted back to stock because those mods were deteriorating the life of your tires?

I think some people get an alignment and camberkit which solves the problem?
Yeah, a proper alignment was his only issue. Camberkit would have helped too.

I have -2.3 degrees of camber in the rear, -1.9 (i think) in the front, and i literally have no camber wear at all after almost 10,000 miles. Having a little bit of camber doesn't kill tires, having the toe badly off does.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:39 PM
zonnie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
Yeah, a proper alignment was his only issue. Camberkit would have helped too.

I have -2.3 degrees of camber in the rear, -1.9 (i think) in the front, and i literally have no camber wear at all after almost 10,000 miles. Having a little bit of camber doesn't kill tires, having the toe badly off does.
I am looking to set this up real soon,

what is the recommended specs?

is the goal to achieve 0 toe? I know nothing about alignment.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:49 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by iCrap
I could have written that. Although my fronts aren't as consistent to one another as yours are.

When I removed the summer wheels for winter, I was expecting my rears to be trashed after 10k miles (or thereabouts)... but nope. Still more life in the old shoes.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:03 AM
Surge Shamray

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
newb here

So for someone who has a g37 2013 AWD sedan should I get the eibach springs with the Koni struts or what would you guys recommend
Old 01-15-2017, 10:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Surge Shamray
newb here

So for someone who has a g37 2013 AWD sedan should I get the eibach springs with the Koni struts or what would you guys recommend
For AWD Sedans the Swift springs seem to get the best overall reviews and they have a nice even drop. AFAIK Koni doesn't have the front struts for AWDs. There's also decent coilover options from KSport, Fortune 500, and Stance.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:29 AM
Surge Shamray

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
For AWD Sedans the Swift springs seem to get the best overall reviews and they have a nice even drop. AFAIK Koni doesn't have the front struts for AWDs. There's also decent coilover options from KSport, Fortune 500, and Stance.
I read on here there is an issue with some of the coilovers in the rear making a clunking noise, how true is this?
Old 01-16-2017, 10:43 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Surge Shamray
I read on here there is an issue with some of the coilovers in the rear making a clunking noise, how true is this?
There's been issues with coilovers from BC & Fortune w/ clunking noises, but there's been reports that BC has fixed the issue and the Fortune sample size was small so it may have been an exception???

Nice to know you're doing your homework, and welcome to the site BTW
Old 01-20-2017, 11:19 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Nothing at all wrong with -1* camber (or -2*, for that matter). I wouldn't get all worked up about that.

Last year, blnewt directed me towards Tein Basis coilovers to replace my Swift springs. For what I was trying to accomplish with the rear of my car, it was solid advice from one old guy to another...

...to another, LOL.
and another taking it. You and blnewt convinced me to do the Teins as well. My thing is this. I can't do both wheels and coilovers right now. So my questions are (some are just opinions)
  1. Will I need the camber arms with coilovers?
  2. Do you have them (yes/no) and what are the results?
Here's the "opinion" part. I really DO NOT like the wheels on my car. not enough size and width and they have curb rash and belong on an older G. I don't want to go above 19" but I want them 9-10" wide either squared or staggered. I also prefer my cars to sit closer to the tires and I like the enhanced handling from a proper setup.
I don't have the money for both, so do you recommend doing wheels/tires or coilovers 1st?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Will I need the camber arms with coilovers?
I needed the rears. So... maybe yes. I would even go so far as to say probably yes.

Do you have them (yes/no) and what are the results?
I still haven't replaced hardware in the front because I'm still using Swift lowering springs up there, because the height is right, and the handling is balanced. (Front CO's are in the attic.) When the CO's do go on the car up front, I'll be replacing the control arms, too. At the moment, I have a full 1/2 degree camber discrepancy left-2-right on the front wheels. Not happy about that, but not losing sleep over it either.

I don't have the money for both, so do you recommend doing wheels/tires or coilovers 1st?
Do the suspension first. Reason being, you'll be in a better position to figure out wheels and offset after dialing in the height you want with the suspension components you want.

That said, your OEM wheels are going to look silly dropped and tucked. Consider a set of spacer adapters until you get wheels. I use 15mm wheel spacers in the winter, and take them off in the Spring. It's an annoying little dance, but necessary. We'l, maybe not "necessary" per se...

Similarly, aftermarket rims are going to look silly without the drop or flush fitment. But the other approach is more easily fixable for less cost. Wheels and tires can be a huge expense, more so than the suspension parts you have there.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

That said, your OEM wheels are going to look silly dropped and tucked. Consider a set of spacer adapters until you get wheels. I use 15mm wheel spacers in the winter, and take them off in the Spring. It's an annoying little dance, but necessary. We'l, maybe not "necessary" per se...
Fortunately, I live (now) in the South and don't have a need to change Summer/Winter wheel setups. Why do you say to remove spacers after Winter though? Curious about the reasoning.

I do agree and was thinking similarly about suspension vs wheels. I normally do suspension 1st, or gather it all for a nice "transformation".
Old 01-20-2017, 12:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Why do you say to remove spacers after Winter though? Curious about the reasoning.
I use spacers with my 18" OEM rims during winter, and they look better flush because of the drop and the neg camber. In the summer, I don't use the spacers because the offset on Vossens is pretty aggressive already.

If you use a set of wheel spacers in between plans for suspension mods and aftermarket wheels, keep in mind how easy it would be to sell the spacers with a pretty good recoup of the original expense, which would only be around $200 anyway.

First things first... mess with your suspension and then reassess things. Bear in mind, this was not the advice I took some years back. First I bought the wheels, and it looked so wrong that I dropped the car a month later. I spent the next year quibbling about the rear fitment, finally buying the Tein Basis kit.

So if you're reading advice here, it's based on what not to do.

Last edited by Rochester; 01-20-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:55 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Best thing to do is set the ride height first, then get the wheels. I had to put on 15mm spacers to make my aftermarket wheels sit flush, but if i dropped the car FIRST i could have just gotten wheels which fit perfectly. Oh well.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Chops130

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had Eibach lowering springs as well and for the most part I did enjoy them. First they really do bring the car to the height it's meant to be. The overall ride wasn't too bad either, but I do agree on the back being soft at times.