Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods for improving G37x Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 02:59 PM
towerworld

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods for improving G37x Performance?

Hello Everyone I'm a new G owner and I just wanted know some good mods to improve engine performance for someone on a budget of 500-800$ like perhaps exhuast,intakes,ECU tunes ect.

Was also wondering about coilovers(separate budget), I was looking at Ksport ones but i was wondering if i need any other suspension components to be used with them?
Also was looking for REALLY cheap Rim's if anyone knows where i can find used 18inch ones for like 50$ each.

Edit: Maybe not 50$ but anything less than 100$ for used crappy ones?
This is also the AWD version and it is a 2013 if that makes any difference.

Last edited by towerworld; 05-02-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:06 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Welcome to the forum man. You should post up an introduction of yourself in the newbie section of the forum so everyone can greet you and know who you are.

As for your question here's a great beginner thread on different types of mods... and wheels for $50?? You might be able to buy the center caps for that price but highly doubt ever getting actual wheels.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/newbie-...read-this.html
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
$800 will get any one of those. Only one.

$50 rims! It's been a long time since I was that poor.

In my opinion, enjoy the car as is until you can afford good stuff. I'd start with a catback as most feel that's the most significant bottleneck in engine performance. Then get good tires as any performance gains have to get to the road through them.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:09 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by towerworld
Hello Everyone I'm a new G owner and I just wanted know some good mods to improve engine performance for someone on a budget of 500-800$ like perhaps exhuast,intakes,ECU tunes ect.

Was also wondering about coilovers, I was looking at Ksport ones but i was wondering if i need any other suspension components to be used with them?
Also was looking for REALLY cheap Rim's if anyone knows where i can find used 18inch ones for like 50$ each.
Welcome to the forum, there's not much you can do with that budget on performance but you can try to find a used catback exhaust for that price with time. If you only care about sound then a axleback will be a good option for you. Second option a cold air intake such as takeda and Stillen cai. I would prefer a catback and if you really want wheels I would keep the ones you have instead of buying some wheels that cost 50 bucks each, they wouldn't be appealing and probably poorly made which can affect safety imo
Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM
towerworld

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Welcome to the forum, there's not much you can do with that budget on performance but you can try to find a used catback exhaust for that price with time. If you only care about sound then a axleback will be a good option for you. Second option a cold air intake such as takeda and Stillen cai. I would prefer a catback and if you really want wheels I would keep the ones you have instead of buying some wheels that cost 50 bucks each, they wouldn't be appealing and probably poorly made which can affect safety imo
Thanks for the response:
Which one would give me the biggest HP gains and where would you find used ones?

Reason why i want new wheels is because mine are the lame 17inch ones and with high ride height makes it look very altima-ish, how about anything for less than 100$?
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
You can find a used Cat/Axleback Exhaust for $500/ $600 and buy some Eibach lowering spring which are a fraction of the cost compared to coilovers. And boom you're at your budget marker. Check out the private classified here on the forum for a bunch of good deals.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private-classifieds-329/
Old 05-02-2016, 03:35 PM
towerworld

Originally Posted by kennyz424
You can find a used Cat/Axleback Exhaust for $500/ $600 and buy some Eibach lowering spring which are a fraction of the cost compared to coilovers. And boom you're at your budget marker. Check out the private classified here on the forum for a bunch of good deals.

Private Classifieds - MyG37
Oh cool which one gives better performance? I was thinking of lowering springs but i heard that they cause shocks and struts to die early so it seems that just getting coilovers in the future would be smarter.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:51 PM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
I got some wheels off a shopping cart I can sell you for $50...may need some spacers for them to fit flush
Old 05-02-2016, 04:02 PM
VQpoppa
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
The performance of the X is great (I own an X Sport). What are you trying to get out of your car? Honestly the G is expensive to mod. That's just the plain truth. The X is harder to find parts for, but they are out there. If it were me. Sway bars (Hotchkis $350). RC2 Intake ($360ish). And call it a day. If you have more money left over, get high flow cats and exhaust but that's going to cost you, a tune is going to cost you. The money you throw at it just isnt worth the HP you get, IMHO.

*gets ready for the rock throwers*
The following 2 users liked this post by VQpoppa:
abrecos (01-21-2019), dbeachy1 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:55 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Like VQpoppa said, the VQ platform is very expensive to mod and you will see minimal gains. If I were you OP I would stop targeting mods for more HP and think about what's going to be the most fun for you.

If you want a throatier exhaust that'll put a smile on your face, a catback or axleback is the way to go. A long tube intake will give you some more engine roar and some power but you'll be paying a pretty penny. Especially if you opt for the splash shields to prevent your intakes from sucking in water. A short tube like the R2C is cheaper and easier to install with less maintenance, but is little more than a noise maker. (I have one though and it sounds great).

Better handling and cornering? Do springs or coils and upgrade the rear sway bar to the G37S model's. The X cars have a tiny rear sway and it is a cheap upgrade that many say is one of the best things they've done to their car. Springs will probably reduce the life span of your struts but not by much unless you drive like an idiot and bottom out the suspension every chance you get. A nice set of tires will be one of the most noticeable changes you can make. Definitely +10 to the butt dyno.

Better looks? Save up for some nice wheels. You can find second-hand stuff in the classifieds all the time. Maybe get one of the IPL front bumpers that are on ebay, or the midnight grille and sport spoiler (through Infiniti). Tints are always a good option as well.

Once you've done these basic things high flow cats and a tune will bring you to pretty much your full potential without doing forced induction. I'd start with the above and see how you feel. Then think about the cats and tune.

Last edited by JUMBO PALACE; 05-02-2016 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:21 PM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Someone might have said this (sorry I sort of skimmed the content) but remember that your stock 17" wheels and tires are fairly light (i think around 50lbs a corner). $50-$100 rims typically mean they weight a crap ton. Every few pounds you add to rotational mass will be felt in your acceleration and butt-dyno. Just mentioning this because you might spend $800 on an intake and good used exhaust but then add 50 more pounds of weight via the wheels and tires and your car will feel slower then what you started with.
The following users liked this post:
SkysG37 (10-27-2021)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:48 PM
Strokelessone
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Best mod for money

The two best mods you can do would be sway bars and a set of HFCs.
The following users liked this post:
VQpoppa (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 08:53 PM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by kennyz424

Private Classifieds - MyG37
+1 ^

agreed on checking the classifieds to keep within your budget

1. used sway rear sway bar (from RWD or adjustable aftermarket brands)
2. aFe air filter - drop ins
3. post MAF intake tubes (HPS, Z1, Mishimoto...)
4. used lowering springs - SWIFTS

*exhaust shop: muffler delete.

save up for the bigger budget items: wheels/tires, tune, CBE, HFC's, etc...

Good luck and Welcome to the forum!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:28 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Get swift springs, then save your money and watch the classified section here for a $1000.00 set of decent looking aftermarket wheels and tires. 19-20" look the best on these cars. That will completely transform the way your car looks and it will handle better. Next year get sways and new end links and it will handle great too. Chassis before performance always.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Strokelessone
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Not trying to flame on anyone's suggestions, but the best mod for your money is a cold air intake and HFCs, dyno proven. Muffler deletes, axle back, drop in and even short ram intakes are a waste of money, dyno proven. I have seen a couple sets of HFCs in the classifieds, so for around 350-400 exhaust wise that is the biggest performance improvement you can make.

Quick Reply: Mods for improving G37x Performance?