Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VDC won't turn off after ECU reset.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 06:44 PM
runit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VDC won't turn off after ECU reset.

Hey everyone. New to the forums, 2011 G37S Sedan 6MT.

I did the ECU reset (the 370z one, 10s instead of 7, 12s instead of 10 etc etc).

Finally got it flashing, and I think I got it to work. However, now I notice when I turn my car on, press the VDC Off button, the VDC actually keeps staying on... I have to stop, turn the car off completely, and then press the VDC Off button again for it to actually turn off. Kind-of a pain, I'd like to get it back to how it was before... do you recommend I do the ECU reset again? Anything like this happen to anyone else?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2015, 03:00 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Disconnect the Yaw sensor in the center console. You'll be so happy that you did.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:02 PM
runit

Is there a DIY for this? I've never heard of such sensor.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:18 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
whats that do, I saw it when i changed my shifter ****, Almost unplugged it
Old 12-01-2015, 04:20 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Try doing the reset again or just leave the battery (Neg terminal) off over night to reset the ECU
Old 12-01-2015, 04:45 PM
runit

Tried the reset a good 10 times afterwards, got it to blink each time, now I either can't turn traction off at all (even restarting the engine), or it seems to turn off momentarily because I seem to get some spin (it's raining today). I did the reset and let it sit for a few hours right now, to see if maybe that makes a difference. If not, I'm going to try the battery.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:18 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
You might need to have the dealership clear the code. I know when a Nissan sat on the showroom for a long time and the battery went completely dead a similar thing happened. We would charge the battery up so it was ok, but the VDC light would stay on. It would only take a few minutes to reset.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:58 AM
runit

Well the VDC light doesn't stay on, I can make it come on and off by pressing the button, and when I start the car it's off by default; however the VDC itself doesn't actually turn off despite the light.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:32 AM
nelledge
n00b

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by runit
Well the VDC light doesn't stay on, I can make it come on and off by pressing the button, and when I start the car it's off by default; however the VDC itself doesn't actually turn off despite the light.
VDC is off by default?
Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 AM
runit

Originally Posted by nelledge
VDC is off by default?
The light, yes. If I press the "vdc off" button, the light comes on, but VDC itself usually doesn't, although last night I was randomly able to turn it off.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:31 AM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
That sounds like normal behavior to me.

The button you are pushing is for traction control. When you first turn on the car, the light should be off. After pressing the button, the light will illuminate and this light is just above the BRAKE light on the dash with an image of a car with wavy lines under it and below that the word OFF. This looks just like the button on the dash too.

With traction control off, you will be able to spin the tires. Accelerating from a stop or when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

If you try to drift the car, the stability control will still work even with traction control off. When this happens, the car will stop the drift by applying the brake to the outside wheel. This system is rather pessimistic so it will do this under normal driving situations where it isn't needed. When this happens, a different light on the dash will flash. It also looks like a car with wavy lines under it but it is located just above the seatbelt light. It will flash while it is applying the brake.

The yaw sensor is one of the sensors used by stability control to determine if you are sliding. With it unplugged, stability control will be disabled and it also will disable traction control. The stability control light will come on and stay on.

The yaw sensor is located in the center console. There are lots of posts on how to disable it. Some people add a switch to let you turn it on and off but the easiest way is to just unplug the sensor. Go back to the factory settings by just plugging it in again.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...2013-g37s.html

Turning off/disabling VDC (For real.) - Page 9 - G35Driver

"HOW TO" VDC Fully Disabled Button - MY350Z.COM Forums
The following users liked this post:
skeener (12-02-2015)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I misread your original post. That does not sound normal at all. I would have that checked out.

Originally Posted by jgronline

The button you are pushing is for traction control. When you first turn on the car, the light should be off. After pressing the button, the light will illuminate and this light is just above the BRAKE light on the dash with an image of a car with wavy lines under it and below that the word OFF. This looks just like the button on the dash too.

With traction control off, you will be able to spin the tires. Accelerating from a stop or when shifting from 1st to 2nd.

If you try to drift the car, the stability control will still work even with traction control off. When this happens, the car will stop the drift by applying the brake to the outside wheel. This system is rather pessimistic so it will do this under normal driving situations where it isn't needed. When this happens, a different light on the dash will flash. It also looks like a car with wavy lines under it but it is located just above the seatbelt light. It will flash while it is applying the brake.

The yaw sensor is one of the sensors used by stability control to determine if you are sliding. With it unplugged, stability control will be disabled and it also will disable traction control. The stability control light will come on and stay on.

The yaw sensor is located in the center console. There are lots of posts on how to disable it. Some people add a switch to let you turn it on and off but the easiest way is to just unplug the sensor. Go back to the factory settings by just plugging it in again.

Maybe my car is different because it is a 2013, but the TCS and VDC (stability control) are both shut off when I hit the button on the dash. I am able to drift just fine with it off. Even my owner's manual refers to the button as the VDC OFF button.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM
runit

Originally Posted by jgronline

Thanks for the reply. I am more referring to TCS flashing when I punch it in lower gears and it cuts throttle - absolutely can't stand it. So, the VDC OFF button isn't doing what it used to. With regards to drifting, I hadn't done a whole lot of that yet, so can't tell that it's interfering - I just hate when it cuts my throttle, even though I'd pressed the vdc off button.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:09 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. I am more referring to TCS flashing when I punch it in lower gears and it cuts throttle - absolutely can't stand it. So, the VDC OFF button isn't doing what it used to. With regards to drifting, I hadn't done a whole lot of that yet, so can't tell that it's interfering - I just hate when it cuts my throttle, even though I'd pressed the vdc off button.
This also sounds abnormal. I can spin my tires at will with the TCS/VDC OFF button turned off.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:37 PM
runit

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
This also sounds abnormal. I can spin my tires at will with the TCS/VDC OFF button turned off.
Well they do spin somewhat, but once this spin is detected, throttle is cut.

Quick Reply: VDC won't turn off after ECU reset.