G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to make G37xs as quick and sound as good as Q50xs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:38 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
How to make G37xs as quick and sound as good as Q50xs?

Second time I got a Q50 as my loaner. Isn't the Q50 engine basically the same engine as in the G37?

It seems the Q50 really gets up and goes smoothly, like a small rocket, while my 2013 with 18,900 miles feels like it struggles to get up and go. While the Q50 goes without effort, the G37 feels like it takes some effort to get going at the same pace.

Also, the exhaust sound on the Q50 really sounds like a sporty car should sound. Did they really enhance the sound that much on the Q50 vs the G37xs sedan?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's exactly same engine.
The only difference that I can think of is transmission. Did you do latest update on your 7at?
Old 11-07-2015, 09:30 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Michael440
The only difference that I can think of is transmission. Did you do latest update on your 7at?
I thought they were exactly the same engine. The Q50 just feels like 328hp, gets up and goes quickly and smoothly. My G37 does not feel like a 328hp car, does not have that smooth push you in your seat feel like the Q50. My car is at Infiniti and I asked them to check the transmission to see if there was a software update, hopefully there is.

Last edited by mjnoles1; 11-07-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:37 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
Loaner cars always feel faster. If you go to the Q50 forum, you'll see the same thread about Loaners cars accelerating faster.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:42 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Reset your ecu
Old 11-08-2015, 10:09 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
The Q uses a single traverse muffler like the coupe, so it should sounds similar to the coupe, not our sedan. As others have mentioned, the drivetrain is otherwise identical on the non Hybrid sedan. It is possible that Infiniti programmed the transmission slightly different on the Q so that it responds more favorably in low speed driving (our version requires that you drive aggressively), but it seems that if they figured that bit of programming out, why wouldn't they just apply it to the Q40/G37 sedan as well since they are identical from a drivetrain perspective.

The 2013 version of the G normally edges out the Q (non-Hybrid) in 0-60 comparisons (by an insignificant amount), so there may be a weight difference as well.

I do like the look of the front on the Q much better, but the rear has not grown on me yet (looks utilitarian).

The interior is hands down better on the Q, especially how they made the front seats thinner to create just a tiny bit more rear legroom. Makes the car feel larger.

Last edited by socketz67; 11-08-2015 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:58 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
I do like the look of the front on the Q much better
Man, I was SO close to agreeing w/ your entire post
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (11-09-2015)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:29 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

I actually like the whole exterior and interior of the G37 better. The sport seats in the Q50 doesn't give look (I know they are however) like real leather. They look like vinyl, besides the seats the rest of the interior looks like its trying to be a Lexus ES350 and not a sport sedan. The exterior also looks more luxury and less sport.

However, is there an exhaust that is plug and play for our sedan that makes it sound more like a Q50 stock exhaust? Isn't there an Infiniti performance exhaust? Does that sound like the Q50?

Hopefully the transmission thing can be programmed to move like the Q50, because to me it is a night and day difference. The Q50 just gets going and keeps pulling, while the G37 needs some effort to get going.
Old 11-08-2015, 01:30 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Really. I felt this way the first time I saw it, but I'm starting to appreciate it more and accept the 'modern' look (at least they did not overdo it like the IS). With that said, I still feel the look of the 09-13 G37 sedan is timeless. Many will say the look is a bit long in the tough, but it's really hard to find anything wrong with the design. Add the OEM spoiler and Sport front fascia, it's one of the better looking cars on the road. Without those two items, it unassuming, but still handsome.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:34 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Agreed, the G sedan's design is pretty solid, doesn't take many risks, just a pretty classic Japanese sport sedan. Very easy to make it subdued, but it can be tricky to make it look a bit more aggressive without going overboard and/or making the whole car look disharmonious.

That said, think the "L" shaped headlights will make it look older than any other specific design feature, nearly all new cars have been using very forward and horizontally oriented headlights.

Also the front end profile ... due to new regulations, most cars have pretty flat front bumpers, so a lot of cars from the immediately prior generation will seem to look old due to the more sloping front ends that they were allowed to get away with.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:38 PM
Awgd8

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I am currently driving a 2015 Q40 and before that I had 3 loaner in a span of 5 months.
1st was a 2015 awd Q50 base then next was a 2016 Q50s awd and lastly, 2016 Q50s hybrid awd.

Both none hybrid Q50's do not have a soul. It is not enjoyable to drive. Definitely no connection to the driver. Engine is too quiet. The Hybrid on the other hand feels like a freakin UFO! Whooooooosh!!!! It pulls and passes on the highway so effortlessly.
From a dig, it is amazing! (There is a trick to launch it from dead stop- just partly press the brake so you do not see the battery mode kicks in) then floor it! The gas and battery will provide you an instant 473 F-Ibs of torque!

I prefer the Q40 better than the basic Q50 non hybrid ones. If the G37/Q40 only has the smoothness A/T of the Q50, it should have been perfect! Forgot to mention, the Q50 seat is a lot better too!

Last edited by Awgd8; 11-08-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
I thought they were exactly the same engine. The Q50 just feels like 328hp, gets up and goes quickly and smoothly. My G37 does not feel like a 328hp car, does not have that smooth push you in your seat feel like the Q50. My car is at Infiniti and I asked them to check the transmission to see if there was a software update, hopefully there is.
I felt the same thing too. For some reason my loaner Q50 felt strong, just like a 328HP should be, where my 2013 g37x with the same engine felt a bit slower. I didn't pay much attention to the exhaust as I was cruising down a noisy highway, and I wasn't revving much. But I do not mind the sound aspect much. However the low RPM get up and go felt much better.

Glad to see I am not the only one. If you do happen to find out the cause, and fix this, please do report back; will be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Michael440
How do I know whether I have the latest update on the transmission? where can I find the latest version number that exists and the current version number on the car? I am very eager to do this if this is going to make my car a bit more peppy at low rpm's.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:00 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by sharmelan
I felt the same thing too. For some reason my loaner Q50 felt strong, just like a 328HP should be, where my 2013 g37x with the same engine felt a bit slower. I didn't pay much attention to the exhaust as I was cruising down a noisy highway, and I wasn't revving much. But I do not mind the sound aspect much. However the low RPM get up and go felt much better.

Glad to see I am not the only one. If you do happen to find out the cause, and fix this, please do report back; will be greatly appreciated.

How do I know whether I have the latest update on the transmission? where can I find the latest version number that exists and the current version number on the car? I am very eager to do this if this is going to make my car a bit more peppy at low rpm's.
Your G37x may have the same engine but it weighs almost 200lbs more than a regular a Q50/G37 due to awd system.

That is probably the difference your noticing
Old 11-10-2015, 07:27 PM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sharmelan

Bring it to your dealership and describe your concern and that your car doesnt feel like a 328hp car, etc.

The dealership updated my ECM and TCM and so far it now feels like the Q50 felt. So far, much improved. I asked my dealership if they just reset it or was it an actual software update, he stated it was an actual software update.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:25 PM
sharmelan

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mjnoles1
Bring it to your dealership and describe your concern and that your car doesnt feel like a 328hp car, etc.

The dealership updated my ECM and TCM and so far it now feels like the Q50 felt. So far, much improved. I asked my dealership if they just reset it or was it an actual software update, he stated it was an actual software update.

That sounds fantastic. I'll be sure to schedule an appointment if possible sometime this week, preferably with a loaner again, so that I can try the Q50 to commute to work and back to dealership, then the G37 back home to get a feel for it immediately.

Fingers crossed that it is a success as it is for you.

Quick Reply: How to make G37xs as quick and sound as good as Q50xs?