G37 Sedan
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought a G37x Sedan, want to mod. Limited car knowledge. Where to go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:12 AM
sd404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a G37x Sedan, want to mod. Limited car knowledge. Where to go from here?

A poster from reddit (dnovz41) referred me to here to get some help/insight with my G37x and modding it.

Recently bought a 2013 G37x Sedan with 23.5k miles. I like the car so far, but the drive just feels a bit boring after the first month. I would like to get a more involved feeling while not totally diminishing the ride quality. I don't know as much about cars as I'd like to, so I don't know exactly how to achieve what I'm looking for. Or at least have enough knowledge to know which parts are better than others.

Coming from 250hp to 328hp is a big leap. I'm no professional driver, and still getting used to the hp upgrade. So I'm happy with the performance right now. The engine and exhaust note are amazing, so that is a low priority for me. Plus I'm the type of guy who has more fun at 40 than 80. Also I do a lot of dirt/country/clay road driving on the weekends. They're all well tended to, so I don't have to worry about bottoming out at all. I use to drive my old A3 down them, and that was a lot lower than my current g37x.

From my little bit of time reading through the forums I've seen that If I want to upgrade the breaks, to go for the akebono(sp?) upgrades. I'm still on the fence about those. Also sway bars are a going to be a good start to upgrading the handling without lowering ride quality. I think front/rear struts would be next? But I don't know exactly what that would affect besides handling. I plan on adding paddle shifters as well. From what I've seen it's very simple to do. I would like to add a remote start if it fit's in the budget as well. Recommendations on a good brand/price for that would be appreciated.

Other than finding new wheels/tires I'm not sure what else needs to be done to achieve what I'm looking for. I know I'm not going to keep my original ride quality while upgrading the handling and diminishing body roll.

The poster on reddit mentioned electronically controlled suspension that can be changed on the fly. I really like that idea, being able to set the suspension to my mood at the time. I've also been looking at air ride suspension, but I haven't found much on how different it is in comparison to traditional suspensions handling. Just that it's adjustable, and generally softer.

I'm not too sure if I'm interested in any exterior mods either. I really like the stock look as is. The g37 sedans I've seen with 18"s and a 1" drop is a great look that I would like to emulate. The sport package front end doesn't look that much better IMO, so another low priority if at all. I'm on the fence about the OEM style spoiler right now.

If I left anything out let me know. My budget is 10K, and most of the work will be done by a shop. I'm physically incapable of doing most of the work except for the paddle shifters and remote install(unless its other than plug-n-play)
Old 07-17-2015, 07:31 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
A set of sway bars will only enhance your driving experience. I went with Hotchkis sways and have been very happy although I do try and ensure to hit the grease fittings every couple months. I went with the lifetime alignment at Firestone so generally get realigned every few months and have them do while they have it.

For wheels I bought two sets of forged Rays from the G35 coupe. Aesthically I like them a lot and the fact that they're fairly light made a difference with a little unsprung HP according to my butt dyno.

Having the X you'll be fairly limited as to suspension choices. Air is always an option if you want to be able to run heights and, if done right, doesn't have an adverse impact on your driveability. I went with a Fortune 500 coils and swift springs but am going to swap out the springs so I can raise my ride height a bit and while I'm doing that I'll also go from 10/8 to 12/10. The only real option for us X'ers for struts in the front would be OEM or KYB and the difference is negligible in my opinion, my OEMs started leaking and I have a set of KYBs we pulled off when I went with coils. You do have some cash so if you don't want to go coil overs you could consider going Koni yellow in the back and having Koni revalve a set of the fronts for you. You'll be spending roughly th same amount of money as you would for coilovers IIRC. On the X sedans I think the Swift springs drop is about perfect, it's a little lower with what I think is a very nice rake to it.

I did upgrade to the Akebonos and haven't looked back. It's a personal preference I'm sure but aesthetically and functionally it's a mod I'm glad I did.

Paddle shifters... I added them too, and will actually be swapping them out today or tomorrow. They work but don't get your hopes up too high, there is a bit of a lag in shift response. I found that cleaning my throttle bodies and adding a grounding kit helped but not as much as getting the car tuned did.

You may want to consider an intake and a set of high flow cats. It will change your tone a little bit but I think it's a good change. If you're a midrange person I would suggest R2Cs over a Stillen but other people may think differently. The cats are probably the biggest bottleneck, opening them up will give you a butt dyno approved changed with little change to the exhaust note.

To me 10k seems like it should be more than enough to accomplish what you're looking for but i suppose that also depends on what the shop will charge you for the work. I've been fortunate here, I pay $50 an hour, usually a little less, for my guy to work on the car and can also use his shop if I want to work on it.

There's a wealth of knowledge here in forum, keep reading! Several of the forum vendors are top notch also though some of us have found other vendors and sources we can get better pricing and rare parts from also.

Welcome and congratulations on your car! We will expect before and after photos and updates just so you know.
The following 2 users liked this post by RexHavoc:
jroyalty7 (07-17-2015), sd404 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 08:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Sways for handling. Slam dunk. (Hotchkis, Eibach, etc.)

Long-tube Air intake for sound and a bit more HP. (Stillen Gen3 or Takeda.)

Lightweight wheels for handling and performance. (Enkei RPF1 are very light.)

As a DD, the very very heavy Akebono BBK isn't worth it, but it looks fantastic.

Resonated high-flow cats will give you noticeable bolt-on power gains without all the racket.

Flappy paddles... meh. Whatever. Might as well.

Your budget seems way more than your declared wants, unless you get some really high-end wheels.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
Old 07-17-2015, 08:54 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, nice introductory post
Great advice form those guys (as always). One thing I'd add is since you're in Orlando I'd be sure to invest in some high grip summer tires w/ whatever wheels you decide on. If there is a BBK in your future be sure to keep that in mind when shopping for wheels. Even many large 20" wheels won't clear those big Akebono calipers so finding 18s that clear does require some homework.

Here's a site that has a lot of nice 18s and many different price points
Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Wheels
And here's a couple templates that you might want to bookmark when the time comes, these will show how much clearance the wheels will or won't have at the caliper.
https://conceptzperformance.com/imag...nttemplate.pdf
https://conceptzperformance.com/imag...artemplate.pdf
The following 2 users liked this post by blnewt:
Old 07-17-2015, 09:00 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Welcome. I'm new here too I have the same car as you.

Here is what I am doing on mine:

Eibach springs, SPC F&R camber kit, Hotchkis sways, mount new wheels and tires. The tires are Conti Extremecontact DWS 06 245/45/R18. The wheels are a modestly priced ASA 18x8 offset 40. The wheels I'm getting won't clear a serious brake upgrade, but I'm happy so far with the brake performance (aesthetics aside...)

All of the above was about $3700 with labor at a very reputable performance shop. That leaves you a lot of headroom in your budget for brakes, better wheels and some of the other stuff mentioned above.

My gear is being installed Wednesday. So I will provide feedback.

Sean

Last edited by VIVID; 07-17-2015 at 09:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VIVID:
Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 AM
Dnovz41

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Nice post, and glad to see the veterans making there way in here to give more perspectives on their mods!
The following users liked this post:
sd404 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 10:18 AM
VIVID
Pyroclastic Flow

Received 358 Likes on 277 Posts
Major oversight on my part:

It should be noted that the mods I am doing were decided on with the help and knowledge of our more experienced members. Several of which have posted above.

The ideas for these mods didn't just fly out of rear-end one afternoon. :-)

Again, welcome,
Sean
Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by VIVID
The ideas for these mods didn't just fly out of rear-end one afternoon
Should you ever start a FS thread, be sure to preface the sale with, "This mod did not fly out of my rear end."

Always GTK details like that.

Old 07-17-2015, 02:42 PM
sd404

Originally Posted by Rochester
Sways for handling. Slam dunk. (Hotchkis, Eibach, etc.)

Long-tube Air intake for sound and a bit more HP. (Stillen Gen3 or Takeda.)

Lightweight wheels for handling and performance. (Enkei RPF1 are very light.)

As a DD, the very very heavy Akebono BBK isn't worth it, but it looks fantastic.

Resonated high-flow cats will give you noticeable bolt-on power gains without all the racket.

Flappy paddles... meh. Whatever. Might as well.

Your budget seems way more than your declared wants, unless you get some really high-end wheels.
Paddles are more a preference right now than anything. I just get frustrated when the car decides to downshift more than one gear and it lags along worse than my old 2.7T audi. Plus after 7/8 years of up is downshift and down is upshift I doubt I'll ever get use to the new shift pattern.

And with performance, I'm honestly very happy with the way it is now. I really want to get used to the car and learn its capabilities before I start fiddling with the drivetrain. But thanks for the advice on that. Plus the police around here pull people over constantly for the stupidest things. Then try to search your car and tear it up. Had it happen to me more than once. Another reason why I generally don't want to mod more than suspension. Big reason why I've been looking for OEM style wheels.. Even adding wheels is going to bring a bunch of attention to me :| But hopefully my NRA and Republican urban camo stickers do their job on this car like my old one.(PS I hate the nra and don't give a **** about politics)

I'll check into the brands/items everyone listed.

Last edited by sd404; 07-17-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:43 PM
sd404

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, nice introductory post
Great advice form those guys (as always). One thing I'd add is since you're in Orlando I'd be sure to invest in some high grip summer tires w/ whatever wheels you decide on. If there is a BBK in your future be sure to keep that in mind when shopping for wheels. Even many large 20" wheels won't clear those big Akebono calipers so finding 18s that clear does require some homework.

Here's a site that has a lot of nice 18s and many different price points
Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: Wheels
And here's a couple templates that you might want to bookmark when the time comes, these will show how much clearance the wheels will or won't have at the caliper.
https://conceptzperformance.com/imag...nttemplate.pdf
https://conceptzperformance.com/imag...artemplate.pdf
Any thoughts on these( http://www.ozracing.com/car_wheels_v...GED/25480.aspx ) ? So far I like that look the best. I wouldnt mind getting a different brand if they're visually similar and cheaper, but as of now thats the only one I've found with that design and a recessed lip in a non gauddy color.

Big thank you for the akebono break links. Thats gonna be a HUGE help for me if I decide to throw those on.

One last thing I forgot to mention in the my original post, will all of these mods last me to 100-120k miles(minus regular maintenance, of course)? Or is there going to be a regular interval of changing certain things out? As a computer builder this is the norm for me. Every six months I swap something out, but thats more for upgrades than it is me wearing it out/blowing it up.

and after looking at the akebono brake kit on a couple g37's, I love it. That big brake look is really cool imo. I like how it looks the brakes are almost jumping through the wheels. Now my next question is, can they be found with the infiniti logo or no logo at all? The only ones I've seen are grey with a white nissan lettering, or red with a black red nissan lettering. I wouldn't mind paint/powdercoating/whatever to get the color changed if thats needed as well

I'll get pictures up for everybody later today(If it's stop raining sideways) or sometime tomorrow!

Last edited by sd404; 07-17-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:09 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by sd404
Any thoughts on these( Oz Racing - OZ Racing - TOP CLASS - SUPERLEGGERA III FORGED ) ? So far I like that look the best. I wouldnt mind getting a different brand if they're visually similar and cheaper, but as of now thats the only one I've found with that design and a recessed lip in a non gauddy color.

Big thank you for the akebono break links. Thats gonna be a HUGE help for me if I decide to throw those on.

One last thing I forgot to mention in the my original post, will all of these mods last me to 100-120k miles(minus regular maintenance, of course)? Or is there going to be a regular interval of changing certain things out? As a computer builder this is the norm for me. Every six months I swap something out, but thats more for upgrades than it is me wearing it out/blowing it up.

and after looking at the akebono brake kit on a couple g37's, I love it. That big brake look is really cool imo. I like how it looks the brakes are almost jumping through the wheels. Now my next question is, can they be found with the infiniti logo or no logo at all? The only ones I've seen are grey with a white nissan lettering, or red with a black red nissans lettering. I wouldn't mind paint/powdercoating/whatever to get the color changed if thats needed as well
Here's a link to putting your own brake kit together, and if you want a different caliper color you can do that prior to the install w/ powdercoating (preferable) or a good spray job.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html

Nice taste in wheels, those OZ 3 pc forged are sweet rims, some of the rims with dished style are tough to clear BBK so just a heads-up. That link for Evasive Motorsports should have several wheels that are similar and might be something you like

Here's a link on painting your calipers
Spray-painted Akebono's - G35Driver

All those mods should last 100k, of course you'd need brake pads and other wear items, but the actual parts will last a long time.
The following users liked this post:
sd404 (07-17-2015)
Old 07-17-2015, 04:32 PM
sd404

Originally Posted by blnewt
Here's a link to putting your own brake kit together, and if you want a different caliper color you can do that prior to the install w/ powdercoating (preferable) or a good spray job.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...the-cheap.html

Nice taste in wheels, those OZ 3 pc forged are sweet rims, some of the rims with dished style are tough to clear BBK so just a heads-up. That link for Evasive Motorsports should have several wheels that are similar and might be something you like

Here's a link on painting your calipers
Spray-painted Akebono's - G35Driver

All those mods should last 100k, of course you'd need brake pads and other wear items, but the actual parts will last a long time.

Would there be any sort of work around to have a recessed lip type wheel and the BBK? Or is that a no go/takes way too much money to get to work right? I'm starting to like the recessed lip look over the standard, but if it's gonna be a huge hassle it's not that big of a deal.

Checking out that site you linked, so far I found
Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: ADV|7DC Wheels - Deep Concave

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: LM-R (DBK)

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: ADV|7DC Wheels - Deep Concave

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: LM-R (Silver)

Evasive Motorsports | PH: 626.336.3400 Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm PST: CH-R (Titanium)

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm...ode=ENKEI-RPF1

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm..._Code=57xtreme

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm..._Code=SSR-EX02

I'll add as I find more I like.
yea i know more recessed lips. but i like the look so much more on g37's
I'm preferring 18"s, but to get that BBK on I'm willing to go up an inch to the 19"s

I'm still unsure of the exact size that will fit the g37, most of the wheels I found so far are from sites that have an auto-size checker. Will there be a noticeable traction difference between 8/8.5/9(I believe that part is for tire width)? Will turning radius, or anything else be changed by going wider, and now possibly bigger?

Last edited by sd404; 07-17-2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:21 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
Paddles are more a preference right now than anything. I just get frustrated when the car decides to downshift more than one gear and it lags along worse than my old 2.7T audi. Plus after 7/8 years of up is downshift and down is upshift I doubt I'll ever get use to the new shift pattern.
Do yourself a huge favor and check out the DIY section of this site. You will be amazed at all the awesome contributions people have added to help knowing these cars like the back of your hand. Welcome to the site and check the link below to change the shift position you inquired about.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...n-for-5at.html
Old 07-17-2015, 05:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm preferring 18"s, but to get that BBK on I'm willing to go up an inch to the 19"s
Most 19's won't fit, either. The Akebono BBK is pretty intrusive on most rims. My 19" Vossens left me with about 2mm to spare, so I'm using a 3mm spacer for peace of mind.

But if you're insistent on getting 18's, this is a wheel that actually will fit. (Brad, correct me if I'm wrong here.) Damn attractive, too:

Old 07-17-2015, 06:01 PM
sd404

Originally Posted by Rochester
Most 19's won't fit, either. The Akebono BBK is pretty intrusive on most rims. My 19" Vossens left me with about 2mm to spare, so I'm using a 3mm spacer for peace of mind.

But if you're insistent on getting 18's, this is a wheel that actually will fit. (Brad, correct me if I'm wrong here.) Damn attractive, too:

Thanks a lot for the heads up on those wheels. They are along the design I'd like to put on the G. 18"s that can fit the BBK looks like my best bet for a wheel/brake combo for my personal preference. Plus the black ones should fit nicely with my slate blue paintjob. If you know of any other 18's that fit that design and can also fit the BBK's I'd appreciate it.

What are the extra set of holes near the lug nuts? Can you cover them up?

Quick Reply: Bought a G37x Sedan, want to mod. Limited car knowledge. Where to go from here?