Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Motordyne G37 M370 Intake Manifold questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM
MR_L

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motordyne G37 M370 Intake Manifold questions

I was looking to do some bolt on mod for my 2013 infiniti g37x sedan and I started with the usual getting a k and n air intake , ordered some headers , etc. I was told I should look into upgrading my intake manifold to theMotordyne G37 M370 Intake Manifold. Has anyone put one on there vehicle and if so is it a bolt on the doesn't require tuning? Also since I am upgrading the intake manifold should I be upgrading the throttle bodies as well?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:55 PM
jroyalty7
Premier Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I upgraded my manifold to the m370 and definitely happy with the results! Definitely need to get a tune but not until you are done with bolt ons completely, unless you don't mind paying for a retune. I now have stillen gen 3's, m370, and FI catback with hfc's. Going to get my tune in 2 weeks. I've been debating about the tb's but honestly just cleaning mine at 31000 miles made a nice difference (did that during m370 install). However if you're going to do tb's you mine as well do the lower plenum as well imo...
Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM
MR_L

I was going to do a tune after all my bolt ons, I would like to twin turbo the car in the future so I would like to buy parts that are going to stay on the car and not have to change out during the turbo upgrade.
So far it's
K &N typhoon 69 12hp
stillen exhaust headers 12hp
stillen 2.5 full exhaust system 12hp

So if I add this intake manifold it would add another 12 hp but is it worth the cost to get the throttle bodies? After all this it's going to get a tune.
The following users liked this post:
jtspea2 (12-21-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by MR_L
I was going to do a tune after all my bolt ons, I would like to twin turbo the car in the future so I would like to buy parts that are going to stay on the car and not have to change out during the turbo upgrade.
So far it's
K &N typhoon 69 12hp

So if I add this intake manifold it would add another 12 hp but is it worth the cost to get the throttle bodies? After all this it's going to get a tune.
LOL you must be new to modifying cars. Hp isn't simply calculated the way you think it is.

Just because a intake manufacturer claims 12 hp gains and a exhaust manufacturer says 12 hp for cat back exhaust it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GAIN 24HP total.

Also I heard your steering rack has to be removed to install the drivers side header. Judging from your post it's clear you don't have enough knowledge to do it yourself, but did you do thorough research to make sure the steering rack won't have to be removed?

If it has to be removed expect a expensive price for labor and installation.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
I started with the usual getting a k and n air intake , ordered some headers , etc.
In no reality that I'm familiar would replacing the OEM headers be considered "usual".

To your question about the M370, the consensus that I've gathered over the last few years is a boost in mid-range, with a potential loss at top-end. I had phenolic intake spacers on my last VQ engine, and that's pretty much what I experienced, in that kind of similar situation. And to make it worthwhile, you should get a tune. Take that with a grain of salt... I've not done it.

Not yet.

Originally Posted by qmantran
Just because a intake manufacturer claims 12 hp gains and a exhaust manufacturer says 12 hp for cat back exhaust it ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GAIN 24HP total.
Amazing how many people don't get that. I have a buddy who has owned BMW's for two decades, always performing the basic bolt-on mods. One day he started adding up HP for various mods according to manufacturer's best claims, and he seemed totally serious. SMH.

But hey, every lesson begins with the first step.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-02-2015 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:48 PM
MR_L

Originally Posted by qmantran
LOL you must be new to modifying cars. Hp isn't simply calculated the way you think it is.

Also I heard your steering rack has to be removed to install the drivers side header. Judging from your post it's clear you don't have enough knowledge to do it yourself, but did you do thorough research to make sure the steering rack won't have to be removed?

If it has to be removed expect a expensive price for labor and installation.
Lol those are just some base numbers , I have a fair bit of experience when it comes to mods just have never changed out the exhaust manifold or throttle bodies before. This is the first car I plan on keeping for the long haul so I want to do everything proper. Also I have heard the about the header but I have to wait for my headers to come in to test fit
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
In no reality that I'm familiar would replacing the OEM headers be considered "usual".

To your question about the M370, the consensus that I've gathered over the last few years is a boost in mid-range, with a potential loss at top-end. I had phenolic intake spacers on my last VQ engine, and that's pretty much what I experienced, in that kind of similar situation. And to make it worthwhile, you should get a tune. Take that with a grain of salt... I've not done it.
p.
You're spot on. There's additional power available along the majority of the curve but it's especially noticeable in the midrange.

If you're going to do it I would suggest doing it last just before a tune.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Yes, You wil get mid range power, Might wanna search and read my thread I did a VS the Z1 plenum with dyno sheets, BTW selling mine. Brand new never installed M370. PM me
Old 07-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
I agree with RexHavok here. If your gojbg to buy the M370 get it just before your tune. I got the M370 as my 2nd mod. I felt like it may have gained some midrange for me but sometimes I wonder if I was just telling myself that bc I needed to justify the purchase.

I am confident that when I get my tune done that I'll be very happy with all the bolt ons. But if I had to do it all over again I would've skipped the M370 for a while and purchased some other mod. Eventually I would've gotten it still. Just not for my 2nd (or 3,4,5th) mod.

This is just my humble opinion.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:29 AM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
I like many others upgraded my breaks and sway bars before adding power mods and I would fully recommend doing that first.

With that said, I bought my CAI and M370 and installed them at the same time so it's hard for me to Guage what part provided what but lower and midrange seems to pull a bit more than prior to install. Without a tune it feels almost like a waste of money but from what I've seen by others dyno results, it pays for itself after a tune.
The following users liked this post:
Redfire32 (07-04-2015)
Old 10-25-2015, 10:42 AM
Pgwn-g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. But the OP says he wants to do upgrades for a TT setup in mind, but doesn't want to waste money or do the all famous "REWORK". It's about the header upgrades. I've seen turbo kits that give you a new header with an extra outlet for your piping. Is there a different way to do the plumbing or was that the way they RnD their own kit? Talking about Fast Intentions kit.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:15 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
I think this is an old thread but "K &N typhoon 69 12hp"

not likely you get 12hp with the intake there is even a possibility that you got zero HP with that mod..

"I have a fair bit of experience when it comes to mods"

really?

with the stillen g3 CAI you may get 12HP and possibly a little more but with the K&N not a chance.

So far it's
K &N typhoon 69 12hp