Sponsored by:

Potential New Owner, Reliability Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Potential New Owner, Reliability Question

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, I'm hoping to be driving home in a new (to me) 2010 G37X this weekend if all goes well. I had a question about reliability, the car has 48k miles on the clock and all the service records. The factory warranty is just out. I know extended used car warranties are 90% of the time useless unless you buy a Chrysler... Are there any common reliability issues that would make a used car warranty considerable with G37s?
Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 AM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
One major thing to be weary of when purchasing or looking at g37's produced before 2012 (they upgraded the gasket material...see the later pages in the thread.)

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

This is where buying an authentic Infiniti warranty for peace of mind can pay off... as well as getting an oil pressure test to confirm the pressure is within normal operating spec's under load and at idle.

Yes... These paper gaskets were used in VQ's prior to the g37 and is widely documented on g35driver (lot's of commentary from Infiniti master tech's as well as pictures/repair invoices being shared).

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Originally Posted by krazyfiend
One major thing to be weary of when purchasing or looking at g37's produced before 2012 (they upgraded the gasket material...see the later pages in the thread.)

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...xperience.html

This is where buying an authentic Infiniti warranty for peace of mind can pay off... as well as getting an oil pressure test to confirm the pressure is within normal operating spec's under load and at idle.

Yes... These paper gaskets were used in VQ's prior to the g37 and is widely documented on g35driver (lot's of commentary from Infiniti master tech's as well as pictures/repair invoices being shared).

Cause for the dreaded P0011/P0021 codes that everyone is curious about - G35Driver
Damn it, there's always something to worry about. I don't know that I'll be able to get a pressure test done before buying... I guess I'll have to take a chance. Does Infiniti offer an extended warranty for pre-owned vehicles outside of a CPO?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:48 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Outside of the Nissanish buzzes, rattles and NVH issues, our cars are pretty rock solid.

It's why most of us select the G over the German brands like Audi, BWM, Merc (much more complex vehicles, but with the complexity comes reliability issues).

Personally, I would not invest in an extended warranty for a Japanese vehicle, but that's me. You have to understand your own tolerance for risk.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nonlinearedits
Damn it, there's always something to worry about. I don't know that I'll be able to get a pressure test done before buying... I guess I'll have to take a chance. Does Infiniti offer an extended warranty for pre-owned vehicles outside of a CPO?

Depends on the mileage/age of the car. If it's within the boundaries, a simple multi point inspection at a dealer can allow you to still purchase an Elite Warranty through Infiniti (you can purchase / shop for them at any dealer in the nation ie online)

Apparently the person who posted above me is not aware of the inherent design flaw in the timing cover gaskets of ALL G37's built before 2012. A 1000-1400$ warranty will pay for itself in one trip to the dealer when those oem paper gaskets eventually blow out. Some have had it happen as early as 40k miles. I bought my 8yr/120k warranty to cover electronic repairs as the headunit/navi control is a costly repair as they replace the whole stack more often than not. It's not a common problem, but it does happen and for peace of mind (insurance)... it was worth it to me. First quote of same warranty from my local dealer was $2600. I used knowledge from this site and shopped around. I ended up paying around $1400 for the same exact warranty to give you an idea of the range of markup found on warranty pricing.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Depends on the mileage/age of the car. If it's within the boundaries, a simple multi point inspection at a dealer can allow you to still purchase an Elite Warranty through Infiniti (you can purchase / shop for them at any dealer in the nation ie online)

Apparently the person who posted above me is not aware of the inherent design flaw in the timing cover gaskets of ALL G37's built before 2012. A 1000-1400$ warranty will pay for itself in one trip to the dealer when those oem paper gaskets eventually blow out. Some have had it happen as early as 40k miles. I bought my 8yr/120k warranty to cover electronic repairs as the headunit/navi control is a costly repair as they replace the whole stack more often than not. It's not a common problem, but it does happen and for peace of mind (insurance)... it was worth it to me. First quote of same warranty from my local dealer was $2600. I used knowledge from this site and shopped around. I ended up paying around $1400 for the same exact warranty to give you an idea of the range of markup found on warranty pricing.
The car is a 2010 with 48k on the clock... I believe the factory warranty is out, there may still be a powertrain left on it for a week. How do you shop around the ELITE warranty?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:13 PM
joeltender

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So your saying that all motors pre 2012 will eventually have this gasket failure?
Sounds a bit far fetched. Im sure there are high mileage motors with zero issues
Old 07-01-2015, 08:11 PM
SurreyG

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by joeltender
So your saying that all motors pre 2012 will eventually have this gasket failure?
Sounds a bit far fetched. Im sure there are high mileage motors with zero issues
I've never heard of this issue before. From the seriousness of your comments you'd think there would be numerous people on this forum who have had this issue. Are there any? Anyone?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SurreyG
I've never heard of this issue before. From the seriousness of your comments you'd think there would be numerous people on this forum who have had this issue. Are there any? Anyone?
I just got done researching this as I have a 2011. I followed his thread and did a few other google searches and came back with not much evidence that this is an issue affecting many. Seems like it was an issue for a moderator here and few of the other members and the thread gained momentum. I'm sure we would have heard of many more cases by now if this was a big deal. In short, the best advice given is to install an inline oil pressure gauge to make sure that IF this does happen you are aware of the problem. The car will only trigger an error code under 5 psi (i think) of oil pressure while the nominal operating pressure should be 20 psi (i think) at operating temp. So you could still drive the car IF you had this leaking gasket while its at 6 psi and you wouldn't know.
The following users liked this post:
micafd3s (07-03-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:28 PM
JDoobie
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" I bought my 8yr/120k warranty to cover electronic repairs as the headunit/navi control is a costly repair as they replace the whole stack more often than not."

How much did you pay for that warranty? They are offering a 100k warranty for $4,500.
My 2013 G has only 19k miles
Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Around $1500. The car had 8k miles on it and I purchased my '11 in the summer of '12.

$4500 is highway robbery. Search on here, there are multiple threads talking about shopping around for warranties and detailing the in's and out's of the whole process.

To answer a couple of the questions posed in other replies above... no, I'm not saying ALL motors will have this issue, but it is an inherent flaw and Nissan clearly changed the material of the gaskets (actually a few revisions of the gallery gasket set, finally settling on metal composite gasket set).

It's an issue to be aware of and certainly have checked (because it's cheap) before getting into a G. Simply a matter of due diligence.

I suggest taking another look at the first post in the following thread.

It's by an Infiniti tech.. he's seeing the issue, plenty of times. G35's (ex35's and fx35's as well) have the same gallery gasket set issue and they replace it with the modern revision set (that was finally settled on in Sept of 2011). Nissan/Infiniti didn't just update the composition for the heck of evolving a part, it's in clear response to having a replacement gasket set that will actually fix the underlying issue (paper gaskets allow the opportunity for oil blow by and eventually choking you engine of proper oil pressure).

It's your choice if you want to consider this something worth your time to keep and eye on or not. Personally, I'm the type of person who likes knowing my used oil analysis reports and such.. I like to be proactive in terms or preventive maintenance and simple checks that can pay dividends in the long run-- rather than reactive approach.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:50 PM
empirepb48

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's by an Infiniti tech.. he's seeing the issue, plenty of times. G35's (ex35's and fx35's as well) have the same gallery gasket set issue and they replace it with the modern revision set (that was finally settled on in Sept of 2011). Nissan/Infiniti didn't just update the composition for the heck of evolving a part, it's in clear response to having a replacement gasket set that will actually fix the underlying issue (paper gaskets allow the opportunity for oil blow by and eventually choking you engine of proper oil pressure).
I've seen a few different dates now. Is there any evidence of that date being the start of the new gasket type?
Old 07-06-2015, 02:25 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Well I pulled the trigger, I got the G37x Anniversary Edition w/ 48k on the clock. Has powertrain left on it out to mid-2017/70k mi. I was able to secure an extended warranty (Infinity Elite) from Circle Infinity for $1,500 with no inspection by Infiniti since there is a still a powertrain warranty active. Thanks for your help guys! I absolutely LOVE this car. I'm so glad I went after this instead of paying twice as much for a 3 series with double the miles and half the features