G37 Sedan brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:28 AM
afar1
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WolfSongX
Like I said in my first post... I don't know this brand, and quite frankly, I don't really care enough to find out more about it...
The point I'm trying to make here is that you are trusting one of the most important safety systems in your car to a manufacturer who may or may not give a rip whether you live or die with their product.
I was involved with the daily operation of a tuning shop for 5 years, two of those as a part-owner and manager, and I handled parts of all types and quality... plus saw enough garbage from eBay come through that I could tell you horror stories that would keep you awake for the rest of the week.
We finally had to implement a "approval policy" on customer supplied parts because of the stuff that was coming in just wasn't safe, and in good conscience, we couldn't install it on a customer's vehicle. Trust me, a lot of shops wouldn't do this, because we also were the shop that fixed the other shop's work when they installed said parts on the customer's car and then shrugged when they had issues. I could write pages on this but I won't.

If you buy on the internet... it's Cavet Emptor, because honestly you really don't know what you're paying for. There's a big difference between a part that was designed from the ground up to work safely on your vehicle, and a physically similar part that will fit, but doesn't have the engineering behind it. And in these cases, it's difficult to even track down who's responsible if there is an issue, and since most of these parts will be part of a DIY install, the companies involved can shrug and say that you installed the parts wrong or they were labelled "for off-road use only" somewhere on the literature of packaging. BTW, if you install something labelled "for off-road use only" it's an illegal modification and you are liable if you drive that vehicle on the street.

Most shops, if they will install customer-supplied parts, will probably not warranty the install because they didn't supply the parts. There are literally thousands of parts available so they can't be familiar with them all, it's impossible, so unless they've had a bad experience with a brand, they may just shrug and install it and as long as it fits, then they'll trust that the company's done their part to ensure it will work when installed correctly. I don't know too many mechanics that will sit there and spend the time looking up a part to see if it's legit, though I'm hoping that they would if they weren't familiar with the brand.

Like I said when I started out, this company could be legit, and could be providing a well-engineered product for an amazingly low price. Or they could be reselling some crap they bought in China and deleting every complaint that comes into their site and having their friends give the products good ratings. If a lawyer shows up, they point to the fine print and say that the product was installed wrong and the lawyer goes away because there's no way that they can irrefutably prove that you didn't screw something up when you installed it, and if a shop installed it for you, then they have their own ways of limiting their liablity in the matter if they didn't supply the part themselves.

I honestly hope that these are good parts and the company stands behind them... but the reality of the situation is that there is NOTHING in place to prevent it from being otherwise except being a smart consumer.
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:02 AM
CPJ LB
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
If you're wanting a replacement set of rotors, check out Brake Motive - they have a site on eBay.... I currently have them on my fronts + Hawk pads... Very good breaking... No complaints. I ran Brake Motives on my 06 M35 - front and rears with Akebono sport pads... Very good and I drive hard... If you don't want to go stock or BBK, this might be a good alternative for you.

I believe you can get a set of front and rears, including pads for $225 shipped... Crossed drilled rotors and pads... I opted just for their rotors and picked up pads elsewhere....

A lot of M35/45 guys ran the Brake Motives without issues....
Old 09-29-2015, 08:20 PM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fennsta_78
Just installed these last weekend. tough to beat for the price and smoother than stockers.

Brake Kits - Slotted & Cross Drilled Kits

1 month and 5k later. Brakes are fantastic. Much smoother than stock and working well. Very pleased with these brakes and the $$ saved on them.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
1 month and 5k later. Brakes are fantastic. Much smoother than stock and working well. Very pleased with these brakes and the $$ saved on them.
Glad they worked out, post a review in the review folder and spread the good news
Brakes & Suspension - MyG37
Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM
Dreamerzcc

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have always done my own brakes jobs. Got a jack, jack stands, caliper tool and I save alot of money. After doing them the 1st time I feel like an idiot for paying some of the crazy prices I have paid in the past. Here are the brakes I upgraded too, to get rid of the shake in my brake pedal.

Duralast Max/Brake Pads - Front DGC888 at AutoZone.com - 3 reviews
Old 03-24-2017, 08:25 PM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Just installed these last weekend. tough to beat for the price and smoother than stockers.

Brake Kits - Slotted & Cross Drilled Kits

Still going strong with this kit. No squeals and stops on a dime and no maintenance since installed.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 PM
fennsta_78
Registered Member

Still going strong with this kit. No squeals and stops on a dime and no maintenance since installed.

Welp, the G now has 138XXX on the odometer and needs pads. Managed to get ~40K on these pads in 24 months. Reminder: I paid $120 for rotors and pads.