Eliminating Wheel Gap without looking stupid or lowering.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM
bsettles

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Eliminating Wheel Gap without looking stupid or lowering.

Hello guys, just looking for a few opinions. I have been waiting to push the button on some swift springs but I live pretty rural drive on crappy STL roads and occasionally have to drive our into the boonies.

Also my wife told me she would be very displeased if it starts rubbing or scraping (we've been through this before with an 05 Colorado)

My question is has anyone upped the rim size but kept the same sidewall measurement? If so does it look really stupid, and if you would be so kind if you have any other suggestions please throw them my way.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:30 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
You can lower wheel size and UP the sidewall sizing, but you cannot UP the rim size and keep the same sidewall, it will throw off your VDC and speedo.

If you got a 19 inch wheel, you can do 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 , but if you move up to a 20 inch wheel, you will have to do a 245/35/20 and 275/30/20

Theres no way to eliminate wheel gap without lowering. You can "lessen" the apperance of wheel gap a tiny bit by just adding wheel spacers, but what you are initially asking for wont work brother.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:38 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
It does come from the factory with a 4x4 suspension, why not put some mud tires on it?

I'm joking. You will run into much less problems with a modest lowering spring than messing with the overall diameter of the wheels and compromising your speedometer and all of the electronics that rely on it. As long as you don't purchase wheels with aggressive offsets, or lower the car dramatically with coilovers, you WILL NOT RUB at all. It has been tested and proven time and time again. I am lowered on Eibach springs and do not have any scrapping problems either. Eibach is generally considered a lower drop than Swift.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:01 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Two good replies there
Here's another option that's in the planning stages, might stay tuned w/ this one~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...acer-help.html
Old 03-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I have 20's, lowered on Swift/Koni, with zero problems. San Diego has some pretty bad potholes and I don't ride through them on purpose, but I've hit a couple. If you stayed on 18's and lowered you would have no issues at all, in my opinion.

Please, DO NOT up the rim size and keep the same sidewall. That will absolutely look stupid.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
OEM coupe springs might give you a very slight drop, or Impul, if you can find them.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Yes it's possible to fill the wheel gap with taller sidewall. But the two cons of doing so are inaccurate speedometer reading and balloon looking tires. However the ride should be better due the extra cushion but handling will suffer.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:52 PM
bsettles

It's an X for sure but man I don't even know if I am going to mess with it. Because bigger tires would look dumb and going with bigger rims and same sidewall will probably look dumb as well.

Mine does seem a bit lower than some X's I have seen so maybe Ill just force myself to live with it.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:16 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bsettles

It's an X for sure but man I don't even know if I am going to mess with it. Because bigger tires would look dumb and going with bigger rims and same sidewall will probably look dumb as well.

Mine does seem a bit lower than some X's I have seen so maybe Ill just force myself to live with it.

If you want to eliminate as much as possible on a spring kit get Eibach springs... you'll keep it close within camber spec and tire ware.. IMO.. as for changing tire heights...not recommended but in all there is not much you can do with either the 19's or 20's with out a minor drop...but as for any other way... not possible... Spacers will give a more flush fender to wheel look but nothing more than that other than really showing more of the gap. (perception wise) If you want a quote on a set of springs...send me a PM....
Old 03-06-2015, 07:07 PM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello guys, just looking for a few opinions. I have been waiting to push the button on some swift springs but I live pretty rural drive on crappy STL roads and occasionally have to drive our into the boonies.

Also my wife told me she would be very displeased if it starts rubbing or scraping (we've been through this before with an 05 Colorado)

My question is has anyone upped the rim size but kept the same sidewall measurement? If so does it look really stupid, and if you would be so kind if you have any other suggestions please throw them my way.
I was in the same boat. I wanted to eliminate the gap but still have a smooth ride and clearance. I dropped on swift springs and never had rubbing or clearance issues. Although I did have trouble going through one car-wash but that's neither here or there. I can clear speed bumps with confidence w/ passengers and I'm a big guy too (6 ft 275lbs). I have 19inch wheels on now and still have zero problems. Potholes will always suck tho man.

Name:  IMG_2529_zpsw1lq58ke.jpg
Views: 8256
Size:  64.3 KB
Old 03-09-2015, 04:15 PM
bsettles

Ordered Swifts today hopefully on by the weekend. Ill post pics then. If I have problems I will just go back. To be honest the curb up into my driveway is my biggest concern, lol!
Old 03-09-2015, 05:00 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Same as my xS. Running 245/40/19s and have same gap. With my driveway and the pain in the *** to jack up for oil changes, I may just deal with it. Lowering would make it problematic. Plus, have to decide between audio mod or springs. I'll go with audio for now and keep the peace with the wife .

Old 03-09-2015, 05:45 PM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 233 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by e3phung
Which spoiler is that?
Old 03-10-2015, 06:53 AM
e3phung

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
Which spoiler is that?
check ebay. its one of the flush mount spoiler which comes painted. I think it was $50 or something. There are a lot of them for sale.
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (03-11-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 01:22 PM
bsettles

So I have my Swift Springs and I am waiting for the rear camber kit and new hardware to hold up my sagging *** engine splash cover. I will post pics when complete but could be a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Eliminating Wheel Gap without looking stupid or lowering.