Notices
Body Interior Exterior Lighting

Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 02:34 PM
jgronline

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler

I decided to paint the OEM spoiler and the fallback plan was to wrap it in vinyl. My car is platinum silver so black vinyl would probably be a bit too stark. I also considered getting the OEM painted spoiler but this solution is cheaper.

I removed and then lightly sanded my OEM spoiler with 200 grit sandpaper. I made it look like brushed aluminum by sanding it.

Next, I wiped it down with alcohol and applied 2 coats of primer with 30 minutes between coats.
Dupli-Color BPR0031 Gray Exact-Match Scratch Filler Primer - 8 oz. Aerosol Dupli-Color BPR0031 Gray Exact-Match Scratch Filler Primer - 8 oz. Aerosol
I then used a scotch brite pad to lightly sand it again. I followed with more alcohol and 1 final coat of primer.

I waited 30 minutes and painted 3 coats of color match paint with 30 minutes between coats.
Dupli-Color BNS0601 Silver Metallic Nissan Exact-Match Automotive Paint - 8 oz. Aerosol: Automotive Dupli-Color BNS0601 Silver Metallic Nissan Exact-Match Automotive Paint - 8 oz. Aerosol: Automotive

Then I sprayed 3 coats of clear with 10-15 minutes between coats.
Dupli-Color BCL0125 Clear Exact-Match Automotive Top Coat - 8 oz. Aerosol Dupli-Color BCL0125 Clear Exact-Match Automotive Top Coat - 8 oz. Aerosol

Less than $30 and now my OEM spoiler matches my car.

This video helped in learning how to use Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint. The results are very good and it does match.

I still need to wait a few days before polishing it but it already looks like OEM paint. Oh, I also need to put on my platinum silver Fuji emblem too that I also painted.

- The first picture is the spoiler primed and the Fuji emblem is already painted.
- The second picture is the spoiler just after I added the clear coat.
- Third and fourth pictures are the spoiler back on. Like I said, I still need to put the Fuji emblem back on.
Attached Thumbnails Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler-img_1776.jpg   Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler-img_1777.jpg   Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler-img_1778.jpg   Painting OEM chrome trunk spoiler-img_1779.jpg  
Old 01-28-2015, 03:14 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
What did you do with the camera and trunk release button? Did you remove the camera, or mask it? Was the button removed and painted separately or did you leave it chrome? Hard to tell from the pics.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM
jgronline

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
What did you do with the camera and trunk release button? Did you remove the camera, or mask it? Was the button removed and painted separately or did you leave it chrome? Hard to tell from the pics.
I removed the camera which is held in with two screws. I left the button in place as it wasn't a big deal to sand and finish with it in place. Plus I was concerned I would break the plastic that held it in place if I tried to remove it.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:28 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Looks like you did a very good job painting the rear spoiler.

Congrats..

Just might need a light sand and buff like you stated you are going to do..

Thank you for sharing..
Old 01-28-2015, 04:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice job, just be careful when you polish, the Duplicolor clear goes on very thin so you don't have much thickness to work with.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:40 PM
G37Xtreme

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by jgronline
I removed the camera which is held in with two screws. I left the button in place as it wasn't a big deal to sand and finish with it in place. Plus I was concerned I would break the plastic that held it in place if I tried to remove it.
How did you deal with painting over the seams of the button? When you press it in, does it break the paint?
Old 01-28-2015, 05:15 PM
jgronline

Originally Posted by G37Xtreme
How did you deal with painting over the seams of the button? When you press it in, does it break the paint?
The paint is very thin and easily coats the button even with it in place without filling in the gap full of paint. Maybe plastidip would fill in here but the paint doesn't at all.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:26 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Iv'e been thinking about doing this myself...Great job
Old 01-28-2015, 11:57 PM
tite_tite
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
can someone point me to the vinyl wrap thread for the spoiler? i remember seeing it done on a black car but unable to find it.

thanks in advance.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:26 PM
forrmark

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
My car came with the oem painted full length spoiler so I didn't have to do anything. That said, you did a great job.