Sponsored by:

Fade to Black (Bye Bye Chrome Trimming)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
^ yeah, i'll probably end up doing this over the next while. i did read your DIY (thanks!) so i know i'm in for the better part of a day. or night - i've just installed 6 new light fixtures in my garage for fall and winter car tinkering. now with 2 kids at home, the garage is my retreat.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how easy this one is, cutting out the pieces takes at least 1/2 the time IIRC. As long as it's not too cold in your garage it should go smoothly. I'm rooting for you.

Originally Posted by hizzle101
i think i'm a regular here aswell!! I ordered some vinyl for the interior peices and the grill, and i received it yesterday after a 3week wait, this sunday it's on! also i don't have any experience but i do have some extra vinyl just in case, and a blowdryer haha
Yep, confirmed regular, lol
Looking forward to your project, shoot some pics when you get it done.

Originally Posted by 2011G37JOHNBEST
The title is kind of leading me to think of that song by Metallica-"fade to black"

anyways, nicely done. I like it,

for mine Moonwhite i wouldn't do it though coz the color combination white and chrome looks more fit.
There are certain combos that look just right, and unless you do other black touches the chrome on white looks tight. Couldn't help the rhyme

Last edited by blnewt; 10-17-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by _Invictus
I'm sure it's not an exact match to the OB color code, but on a scale of 1-10, how close would you say the gloss black would be?
I think you want gloss black all around. The matte black, which I mistakenly ordered first, didn't match the B pillar or the OB paint at all.

I'll also take this opportunity to post a couple pictures of the OE duckbill spoiler (color matched), gloss black window trim, and midnight grille--don't forget the fog light trim rings
Attached Thumbnails Fade to Black (Bye Bye Chrome Trimming)-windowtrim2.jpg   Fade to Black (Bye Bye Chrome Trimming)-rear.jpg   Fade to Black (Bye Bye Chrome Trimming)-after3.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (10-18-2014)
Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 AM
_Invictus

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I got notification that everything was shipped yesterday. I'm sure it'll be here by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week.

I told my girlfriend that I'll need to borrow her blow dryer, an extension cord, and her dad's fishing line. She gave me the look of "Do I even want to know?" ...Priceless

I think the most part I'm concerned of is doing the window trim because it looks tedious.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:46 AM
_Invictus

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I think you want gloss black all around. The matte black, which I mistakenly ordered first, didn't match the B pillar or the OB paint at all.

I'll also take this opportunity to post a couple pictures of the OE duckbill spoiler (color matched), gloss black window trim, and midnight grille--don't forget the fog light trim rings
Thanks for the photos man. There was a photoshoot of an OB sedan that had the same look which made me decide.

I saw one Sedan with matte black, but I believe he used trim to cover the B Pillars as well.
Old 12-17-2014, 07:00 AM
H8Me909

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did u black out the fog light trim??
Old 12-17-2014, 02:10 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by H8Me909
How did u black out the fog light trim??
Popped the trim and sprayed them.

Then I tapped someone in a parking lot, which chipped the plastidip off and the body shop sprayed them flat black