Sponsored by:

First mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:21 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
No offense, but this is terrible advice.

You can get almost the same gains out of drop in filters and post MAF tubes compared to the G3 and not have to drop $500+ and cut holes in your bumper.

A G37X handles well You should talk to WannaBeSport

Sway bars are a solid mod, and your claim that they won't help a lot without lowering is.....wrong.

Koni yellows are a great upgrade. Except they don't fit the X.
I understand your point on the intake, but it's dyno proven that stillens Gen 3 makes very good power. Also i'd like to see dyno results of your intake vs.a gen 3. if you are right I'll be surprised, but please real dyno charts because I didn't find any. I don't like spending $500.00 on a CAi I thought it was too much, but I wanted the best intake I could buy and that seemed to be the best hands down. That is my opinion and I respect yours. My advice was not bad in my opinion. I've been modding cars for 15 years and sways added to a stock suspension has provided negligible handling improvements. However, lowering the cars center of gravity by itself has resulted in a more noticeable improvement. Couple that with sways and your in business. I didn't realized Koni yellows would not fit a G sedan you are right. Another good mod idea is rims/tires and stock S model BBK swap.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:56 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
I understand your point on the intake, but it's dyno proven that stillens Gen 3 makes very good power. Also i'd like to see dyno results of your intake vs.a gen 3. if you are right I'll be surprised, but please real dyno charts because I didn't find any. I don't like spending $500.00 on a CAi I thought it was too much, but I wanted the best intake I could buy and that seemed to be the best hands down.
https://web.archive.org/web/20090228...ing.com/?p=160

Dyno from a 370Z attached.

Nothing wrong with the G3, I'm sure they sound bad *** too, but you can get a majority of the gains for a fraction of the price and not have to cut the bumper.

That is my opinion and I respect yours. My advice was not bad in my opinion. I've been modding cars for 15 years and sways added to a stock suspension has provided negligible handling improvements. However, lowering the cars center of gravity by itself has resulted in a more noticeable improvement. Couple that with sways and your in business. I didn't realized Koni yellows would not fit a G sedan you are right.
Recommending parts that don't fit isn't bad advice??

I've put sway bars as a stand alone mod on several cars, including my G37S. They make a noticeable difference. Saying they don't, unless installed with springs, which I also have, is just incorrect. Sorry man.

Another good mod idea is rims/tires and stock S model BBK swap.
Wheels and summer tires would be a solid mod

BBK as a first mod?

In daily use you probably aren't going to notice the difference. The 08 G37S with sliding calipers had pretty much exactly the same stopping distances as the 09 with the BBK.

For the price of the BBK, you could probably get an intake, swaybars, and an axleback exhaust. The BBK looks awesome, but again, as a first mod, there is virtually no bang for the buck.
Attached Thumbnails First mod-postmaf_dropins.jpg  

Last edited by Lego_Maniac; 09-14-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:57 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
IMO lowering the car increases handling characteristics more than sway bars. I didn't say sways won't improve the handling, just not as dramatically as lowering springs. It's my opinion that sways by themselves do not give a dramatic handling improvement on a stock suspension. On a oproperly lowered suspension it's a major difference maker. My opinion of the definition of dramatic may be different than yours. That's cool if you don't agree with me, but I do not see what I said as bad advice (accept the koni's suggestion
Old 09-14-2014, 11:12 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
My Threads....

Silicon Tubes:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-vs-stock.html
Swift Springs:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...t-springs.html
Rear Swaybar:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...r-upgrade.html

by dragioniii, on Flickr
Old 09-15-2014, 12:24 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree that lower the car first with either springs or coilovers, doing this will drastically improve body roll in the G37x. I was surprised how much difference swift sprigs made even though I had Hotchkis sways and some gtspec braces.

Like dragion said above another cheap but very effective mod is rear sway from a G37S or 370Z. I am considering going back to this setup from Hotchkis sway bars because I feel every single bump, roads are bad here up north.
The following users liked this post:
dragion (09-15-2014)
Old 09-15-2014, 12:29 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Also the stock Goodyear's and Dunlop's are not very good. Better tires will go a long way. You can find Coupe 19" with bridgestones in the classifieds for a good price and they look great on the Sedans.