Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:43 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
R1cky, R1cky, R1cky... you put the passenger side rims on the drivers side, and then there's the maroon carpet behind the rims. Not to mention the unnatural drop.

Silly rabbit.
The following users liked this post:
R1cky (02-25-2014)
Old 02-25-2014, 04:03 PM
alfredo24pr

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
R1cky, R1cky, R1cky... you put the passenger side rims on the drivers side, and then there's the maroon carpet behind the rims. Not to mention the unnatural drop.

Silly rabbit.
lol. it was a good try.

I think its just better to wait until "summer season" starts in NY.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by R1cky
quick ps

I knew you'd drop your G eventually John, looks like you've been fertilizing your lawn too. I thought you said it was freezing there right now
BTW, love the maroon 16" rotors too, bet the calipers must be blowing sparks off the wheels
Old 03-01-2014, 11:05 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Those McGard lug nuts showed up today, and I'm happy to say that my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. They're a narrow lug nut, with a perfectly clean and polished closed end. As a two-piece design, the aluminum base swivels freely. It's really kind of fascinating. And they look fantastic in the VOSSENS.

My only complaint is in the four lock-nuts that came with the kit. They look seriously out of place. So now I'm contemplating not using the lock-nuts, or finding an alternative.

Aside from that, however, I think this was definitely the right purchase. Here are a couple of macro shots.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Rochester
Administrator

And here are some pictures of the lug nuts on one of the wheels... still in my basement.. still very much Winter outside.

Old 03-02-2014, 01:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Those do look real nice, agree about the locks being out of place. I thought that the moment I saw the set. That's one reason why I suggested the gorilla system, all the lugs are locks so you don't have one ugly ducking that sticks out like a sore thumb
I'd just order 4 more regular lugs and sell the set of locks, unless you park your car often in shady places. I doubt you do J.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:14 AM
Deelow
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice J! They look really good in the wheels. Either way you go on the locking lug part you'll do fine. I want to buy OEM-like lugs for my OEM wheels but so far it's been tough to find the same type lugs. Glad you're happy!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Those do look real nice, agree about the locks being out of place. I thought that the moment I saw the set. That's one reason why I suggested the gorilla system, all the lugs are locks so you don't have one ugly ducking that sticks out like a sore thumb
I'd just order 4 more regular lugs and sell the set of locks, unless you park your car often in shady places. I doubt you do J.
That's exactly how I'm leaning right now. I can't find anything that's acceptable yet, so I think I'm just going to buy four more standard spline drive McGard nuts and be done with it.

Also, the McGard spline drive key is unique to McGard. So in that respect, it's a pretty a significant theft deterrent right there. Certainly a deterrent for theft of opportunity. And for those thieves who plan on swiping the rims, there'd have to be educated about the make of the lug nuts... That's asking a lot of your average wheel thief.

I might buy an extra spline drive adapter, too, so I can have a back up myself. [edit] Just did, LOL.

They really do look good against the Vossens, matching the center cap quite well. I'm glad I didn't go down the aluminum lug nut road.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-02-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
They really do look good against the Vossens, matching the center cap quite well. I'm glad I didn't go down the aluminum lug nut road.
This pic right here seals the deal, I don't think you could've pulled off a better look and compliment w/ any other set~

The following 4 users liked this post by blnewt:
ninjitsui1 (03-04-2014), pebkac (03-02-2014), Redfire32 (11-17-2014), Rochester (03-02-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 03:05 AM
ninjitsui1

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, those look really good! Good choice Rochester. I didn't realize what you were talking about with the locking nut until I searched for it. My only thing is I still would want the piece of mind of having some type of locking nut though I don't usually park anywhere shady either.

Man, I can't believe you haven't put your wheels on...I know its winter out there but I'd be itching, especially if I had them in my house. =) Can't wait to see some pics on the G.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Looks,like everything is coming together quite nicely J! Speaks volumes to the value of research and patience.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:40 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ninjitsui1
Wow, those look really good! Good choice Rochester. I didn't realize what you were talking about with the locking nut until I searched for it. My only thing is I still would want the piece of mind of having some type of locking nut though I don't usually park anywhere shady either.

Man, I can't believe you haven't put your wheels on...I know its winter out there but I'd be itching, especially if I had them in my house. =) Can't wait to see some pics on the G.
Thanks, ninjitsui1.

I understand what you're saying about the lock nuts. And if I parked somewhere compromising on a regular basis, then I wouldn't hesitate to use them. (Still can, if I want. I'm not throwing them away or anything.) Fortunately, I rarely drive the car, and when I do, if ever there was a time when I'd park it in a shady location, then the potential for someone to pinch my wheels would be a theft of opportunity, not something planned. With all that in consideration, the 8-sided spline-drive McGard lug nuts would be enough deterrent, IMO. I've thought this through a number of times. Probably over-thought it, (LOL @me).

As for winter... I'm just one of about a 100 million people who are waiting impatiently for this fcked up Winter to end. If I were to make plans based on long-term weather forecasts, it's looking like the wheels won't go on the car until the end of March. At least two more weeks, probably three. I can't be driving on those PSS tires in sub-freezing temps.

It is what it is, man. Just throw your hands up in the air, grin and bear it.

Last edited by Rochester; 03-04-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I can see it now John~ "Honey we're going to uncle Louis' house and he lives in that shady hood, gotta pull over and put on the locks". Good stuff!
Deelow (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
I can see it now John~ "Honey we're going to uncle Louis' house and he lives in that shady hood, gotta pull over and put on the locks". Good stuff!
Well, I do keep the torque wrench in the trunk. Couldn't hurt to keep the lock nuts in the car, too. Writing that last post certainly made me think about it.

Get out of my head.

I hate you.

Deelow (03-04-2014)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Bota36

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Rochester, I can't wait to see the setup on your G. It really looks great Bro.

Quick Reply: Lug Nuts for my VOSSENS - Opinions Welcome