Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Dropped on Swift's Sport Springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
No, I'm from S. Cal. I don't use any carwash with spining anything. The so called automated carwash is basically a handwash. You drive through the tunnel on a rail and there are 2 guys inside handwashing your car with chamois washmits. Then your car comes out and another guy dries it.
If you don't keep an eye on them they will pick up long handled brushes when they cant reach!!

The guy drying your car wipes your car down with the same towels he uses to wash the windows and interior.

Then comes the fingernail to remove the bird poop!!
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by TVPostSound
If you don't keep an eye on them they will pick up long handled brushes when they cant reach!!

The guy drying your car wipes your car down with the same towels he uses to wash the windows and interior.

Then comes the fingernail to remove the bird poop!!
i saw one of those. my gf took her company car to a so called hand wash and they used one of those long brushes. so ya, they use their "hands" to pick up the long brush.

but seriously, i only go to one of these handwash places and they actually wash your car right. i drive 10 miles just to go to this one. i watch them everytime and not once did i see a long brush. the towels might not be of best quality, but so far, i haven't had any issues with them in the last 8 yrs going there with 3 cars.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I noticed at my local carwash (dont want to bash them on this forum yet) they use the long broomstick/brush to remove hard stains, bird shytt, and salt right before you go thru the wash. The long brush sits in a barrel of dirty soapy water, and all the grime/salt from the car in front of you is still embedded in the bristles. They re-dip it in the solution and then swirl your paint with it. I'm very firm about them not going anywhere near my car with that filthy long brush. Does anyone want to start a carwash nightmare thread so we can share experiences there, and not take over this Swift spring thread?
Old 03-02-2013, 12:45 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimTV
I noticed at my local carwash (dont want to bash them on this forum yet) they use the long broomstick/brush to remove hard stains, bird shytt, and salt right before you go thru the wash. The long brush sits in a barrel of dirty soapy water, and all the grime/salt from the car in front of you is still embedded in the bristles. They re-dip it in the solution and then swirl your paint with it. I'm very firm about them not going anywhere near my car with that filthy long brush. Does anyone want to start a carwash nightmare thread so we can share experiences there, and not take over this Swift spring thread?
Agreed, Dragions' thread has gotten so far off the tracks we could rename it Amtrack
Here's a good carwash nightmare thread to migrate to
https://www.myg37.com/forums/car-car...i-carwash.html
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (09-13-2014)
Old 03-02-2013, 11:23 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That's truly a shame, dragion. Hope you don't think I was being judgmental about you personally. I see washing, drying, claybar, wax & polish as kind of a Zen-moment thing more than a chore, and would be deeply sad if I weren't able to do it anymore.

That said, I imagine I'll always own a car that I'm proud of. And if I can't take care of it by hand anymore, then I'd probably have a lifetime carwash membership, and pay for detailing twice a year.

Peace.
None taken.
I appreciate you understanding.

I too take pride on having a well maintained vehicle, but things in life changes and need to make the best of it...miss the days that I would spend half the day washing & waxing to a showroom shine!
True beauty when you can take pride in doing the work yourself and doing it right.

As for a drive thru car wash, Waves isn't too bad...rather have Selina clean then caked with salt & sand!

Originally Posted by SlimTV
Waves usually cleans the rear of your car with the long handle brush before entering the automatic wash, but they know not to use it on mine.

Still need an answer to my original question that brought all this up...

Originally Posted by dragion
I went to my local carwash Waves located in West Roxbury, MA today.
I wanted to know if the Swift drop would be too low...and I found out that upon entering the wash the front end was clear, but once it reached near the rear there was a clankin' noise!
Something wasn't right and both of the attendants shouted out with a ooOH!
Once the car was fully inside the wash bay it was fine.

Coming out of the wash was problem free.

I quickly pulled over to the side to inspect if there was any damage...none visible.

I think that the mid-pipe might have rubbed against the inside rail of the wash...that was the only part I could see that could have had contact.

Any ideas?

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
The flange between the cats, and Y-Pipe is always the first to hit.

I know!!
Will this be a problem?

Now back to regular scheduled forum...
Old 03-02-2013, 04:10 PM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
I wish I still could justify the time to do hand washes. I like doing it, but its time away from my kids. Just not worth it. Plus they are a PITA around here with water restrictions...can only use outside water on Tuesdays and Saturdays, etc.

Going to have to keep this in mind when i am choosing springs since I use auto washes pretty much exlusively. I assume the Eibach's drop is lower?
Old 03-02-2013, 04:47 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by brizey
I wish I still could justify the time to do hand washes. I like doing it, but its time away from my kids. Just not worth it. Plus they are a PITA around here with water restrictions...can only use outside water on Tuesdays and Saturdays, etc.

Going to have to keep this in mind when i am choosing springs since I use auto washes pretty much exlusively. I assume the Eibach's drop is lower?
After some extensive researching, Swift's are probably the least drop for the G sedan...that is one of the main reasons why I chose them.

Eibach's will be lower.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 PM
Boywdr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
he is right ^^^
Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 AM
mathnerd88
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Let me know what your alignment results are!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:07 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Let me know what your alignment results are!
Will do...won't be until I purchase/install my 20mm spacers.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Will do...won't be until I purchase/install my 20mm spacers.
I know almost zero about spacers, having never installed them. But 20mm makes me nervous. 10mm not enough, eh?
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM
brizey

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
After some extensive researching, Swift's are probably the least drop for the G sedan...that is one of the main reasons why I chose them.

Eibach's will be lower.
Thanks for the info!

Gonna be a while...I am going to do everything at once--new brake pads, new tires, springs, maybe konis, tower brace. Gonna get some more wear out of the tires and pads first.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:23 PM
alanz
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dragion congrats on the swift drop. Car looks a lot sexier.

I wanted to get Koni but I am not sure if it's worth it over the coil. My car rides really harsh now on the 20" rim and Swift drop, I really need to make decision soon.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I know almost zero about spacers, having never installed them. But 20mm makes me nervous. 10mm not enough, eh?
I've had past experience with 20mm spacers on my FX's and never had any issues...just as long as they are installed correctly.
The only concern is the ones I ordered are DRM...the ones I have on my FX's were more akin to the "DRS" style, where you are to replace the wheel studs with longer ones, rather than the "DRM" style, where you bolt the spacer to the rotor/hub, and there is a new set of wheel studs coming out of the spacer itself.

Originally Posted by brizey
Thanks for the info!

Gonna be a while...I am going to do everything at once--new brake pads, new tires, springs, maybe konis, tower brace. Gonna get some more wear out of the tires and pads first.
Your welcome!
Sounds like a good plan.

Originally Posted by alanz
dragion congrats on the swift drop. Car looks a lot sexier.

I wanted to get Koni but I am not sure if it's worth it over the coil. My car rides really harsh now on the 20" rim and Swift drop, I really need to make decision soon.
Beauty hurts!

I wasn't aware that Koni has shocks for the AWD sedan...only coupes.
Your only choice might be going to coil overs.

Good Luck on your decision.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:09 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Went back to Waves today for another carwash.
As I entered the entrance to the wash, I slowly made sure that I was perfectly straight going between the rails.
Observing that there wasn't anything that protruded above the rails...it all looked clear.
On entering, I heard that clanking noise again.
I rolled down the window and asked the attendant if everything was ok and if he could tell me why/what is causing the noise.
He told me that it always happens to lowered cars and it was just the rollers that guide the car along the track...not to worry.
He told me that several of the employees are lowered and it always happens to them too.
He reassured me that it sounds worst than it is and there is no harm being done to the car...just the rollers are making the noise.

DOMO

Quick Reply: Dropped on Swift's Sport Springs