Rear Sway Bar Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 11:18 AM
jason05gt
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I installed a 370Z RSB on my X and it is the best bang for buck mod I've done in a long time. I paid $50 off of ebay shipped and installed it myself with a buddy. The car is much more responsive!
Old 05-04-2016, 06:56 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I've noticed a HUGE amount of oversteer on my car since installing the Stillen F/R sways. I also added SPC camber arms and lowered on Tein Basis coils at the same time so I can't attribute it to any one thing but I don't trust my car anymore to not kick the *** end out around a corner. feels better in most aspects but still uneasy about it overall.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Received 151 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack
I've noticed a HUGE amount of oversteer on my car since installing the Stillen F/R sways. I also added SPC camber arms and lowered on Tein Basis coils at the same time so I can't attribute it to any one thing but I don't trust my car anymore to not kick the *** end out around a corner. feels better in most aspects but still uneasy about it overall.
What setting are the sways set at?

Try setting the front sway softer and see if that helps.
You might need to experiment a bit on both to get where you feel it handles the best.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:03 AM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I'd have to check, I had them installed by a shop when they did my camber arms since it was all right there. Thanks for the tip though.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:30 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Stiffer in the front to combat oversteer, not softer. Or, softer in the rear.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
^ yep.

If your car oversteers too easily stiffen up the front or soften the rear.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:50 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Stiffer in the front to combat oversteer, not softer. Or, softer in the rear.
Originally Posted by iCrap
^ yep.

If your car oversteers too easily stiffen up the front or soften the rear.
My bad...I meant the other way around.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2016, 06:02 PM
Rr1982
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Is the awd Sedan front sway bar bigger than a sport sedan's?
Old 05-05-2016, 11:53 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rr1982
Is the awd Sedan front sway bar bigger than a sport sedan's?
Yes.

Ok...here it goes (dirty minds will be whirling now!)

The G37x(S) has the thicker and stiffer bar in front than any other G37...but has the thinnest in the rear.
By upgrading the rear sway to any of the RWD G37's sway will give you the best OEM combination.

This was the choice I made when I had my G37xS.
The following 2 users liked this post by dragion:
Coltrane1 (03-27-2017), DavidTB (10-24-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 12:59 AM
Rr1982
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dragion
Yes.

Ok...here it goes (dirty minds will be whirling now!)

The G37x(S) has the thicker and stiffer bar in front than any other G37...but has the thinnest in the rear.
By upgrading the rear sway to any of the RWD G37's sway will give you the best OEM combination.

This was the choice I made when I had my G37xS.
Superb! Thanks
Old 05-06-2016, 02:33 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rr1982
Superb! Thanks
Welcome!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:18 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dragion
Best summer OEM combo. The AWD models are aimed at drivers who want extra confidence in inclement weather where softer is better. The smaller rear bar helps insure the car understeers and goes off the road nose first when traction is poor.

My one Autocross win in my CSP Sentra SE-R was during a deluge. The normal winning cars were set up for dry weather and their stiffer springs and shocks prevented them from hooking up. My almost-stock suspension allowed the tires to maintain traction, even when blasting through a huge puddle at the exit of the "fast" 180º turn.

I crewed for a friend getting his SCCA racing license in another Sentra SE-R. The final school session was at Texas World Speedway on a cold and wet February day. The decision was made to unhook both sway bars to make roll transition slow. We even went so far as to put eight-year old OEM tires on the car. My friend was slicing and dicing through the field like he was a god...only because almost all the other drivers went stupid and ran the course on race tires. He was amazed at how well the old, skinny tires hung on. 110 mph through small rivers running down the banking before braking for turn 1. Like Joe Piscopo in Johnny Dangerously my buddy thought about that once...ONCE.

The message here is that while you're making the car better for fair weather conditions, when the going gets ugly, you've reduced the usabilty of your car. Be sure to consider that when performing mods.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM
dragion
Registered Member

Best summer OEM combo. The AWD models are aimed at drivers who want extra confidence in inclement weather where softer is better. The smaller rear bar helps insure the car understeers and goes off the road nose first when traction is poor.

My one Autocross win in my CSP Sentra SE-R was during a deluge. The normal winning cars were set up for dry weather and their stiffer springs and shocks prevented them from hooking up. My almost-stock suspension allowed the tires to maintain traction, even when blasting through a huge puddle at the exit of the "fast" 180º turn.

I crewed for a friend getting his SCCA racing license in another Sentra SE-R. The final school session was at Texas World Speedway on a cold and wet February day. The decision was made to unhook both sway bars to make roll transition slow. We even went so far as to put eight-year old OEM tires on the car. My friend was slicing and dicing through the field like he was a god...only because almost all the other drivers went stupid and ran the course on race tires. He was amazed at how well the old, skinny tires hung on. 110 mph through small rivers running down the banking before braking for turn 1. Like Joe Piscopo in Johnny Dangerously my buddy thought about that once...ONCE.

The message here is that while you're making the car better for fair weather conditions, when the going gets ugly, you've reduced the usabilty of your car. Be sure to consider that when performing mods.
What you say is true for the track, but for everyday driving it should be fine.
Infiniti designed the AWD with the smaller rear sway to accommodate better handling for those who buy the vehicle looking for the "safer" ride during those types of conditions.
I reside in New England and we get our fair share of Winter weather...sometimes too much, so I know about the need for better traction during that time.

The rear sway upgrade is a mod which will be beneficial to the driving performance and not hinder the handling in a negative way...either in dry or wet/snow weather...this based on the OEM rear sway upgrade for the G37x(S).
Stiffening the rear sway too much with an aftermarket sway will probably steer toward more oversteer and can be dangerous.

This is based on my own personal experience with this mod.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:55 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Thanks for responding. While my experience does illustrate the issue, and applies just as much to the street as the track, I don't have direct experience with the X in the Salt Belt.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:34 PM
dragion
Registered Member

Thanks for responding. While my experience does illustrate the issue, and applies just as much to the street as the track, I don't have direct experience with the X in the Salt Belt.
Your welcome.
I do agree with you 100% and anyone who plans to mod should research and make logical decisions on how these mods will effect the overall performance/handling/safety of the vehicle before doing so.

Just be thankful that you are in Texas and don't have to deal with our climate during the Winter months!

Quick Reply: Rear Sway Bar Upgrade