Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Streaming audio from my Android-based phone to the car audio

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM
josh6847

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Streaming audio from my Android-based phone to the car audio

I just bought a 2012 G37 Sedan Journey and am very pleased with the car. Couldn't be happier with the quality of the product.

However...

I understand that many people have had trouble streaming audio from their Android-based phone to the car's audio system. The reason for this is because the firmware that the iPod/iPhone contains is not built-in to the Android, so the USB port does not recognize Android-based phones when connected via USB. This is definitely frustrating and I'm not willing to switch to iPhone. Yes, yes, I know, iPhone totally stomps out Android on this one. However, I'm working on finding a resolution to this problem. In addition, the Music Box or using an iPod is not an option for me. I like to stream Pandora/Spotify. I do not own music and I'm sure there are many other people out there just like me. I also do not have the navigation system, so bluetooth audio is not a capability either.

So far, the only thing I tried was buying a USB to 3.5mm headset jack. Here it is:
Mazur USB to 3.5mm jack Mazur USB to 3.5mm jack
. This did not work. When switching the USB via the Auxillary button in the car, the behavior was just like when I connect my Android phone, "Check Connected Device" shows on the screen. I also have this adapter on the way:
Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter
. I read that this worked for one person, but did not work for another person. I guess we shall see.

Does anyone have any good input on how I can stream audio from my Android-based phone (using Pandora/Spotify) to my car's audio system? I am willing to pay for someone to install the 3.5mm jack, but I need to know if that is the only option.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:05 PM
grazsrootz

Originally Posted by josh6847
I just bought a 2012 G37 Sedan Journey and am very pleased with the car. Couldn't be happier with the quality of the product.

However...

I understand that many people have had trouble streaming audio from their Android-based phone to the car's audio system. The reason for this is because the firmware that the iPod/iPhone contains is not built-in to the Android, so the USB port does not recognize Android-based phones when connected via USB. This is definitely frustrating and I'm not willing to switch to iPhone. Yes, yes, I know, iPhone totally stomps out Android on this one. However, I'm working on finding a resolution to this problem. In addition, the Music Box or using an iPod is not an option for me. I like to stream Pandora/Spotify. I do not own music and I'm sure there are many other people out there just like me. I also do not have the navigation system, so bluetooth audio is not a capability either.

So far, the only thing I tried was buying a USB to 3.5mm headset jack. Here it is: Mazur USB to 3.5mm jack. This did not work. When switching the USB via the Auxillary button in the car, the behavior was just like when I connect my Android phone, "Check Connected Device" shows on the screen. I also have this adapter on the way: Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter. I read that this worked for one person, but did not work for another person. I guess we shall see.

Does anyone have any good input on how I can stream audio from my Android-based phone (using Pandora/Spotify) to my car's audio system? I am willing to pay for someone to install the 3.5mm jack, but I need to know if that is the only option.

Thanks in advance.
I have an iphone fortunately so i am not pressed with this problem, I feel for those who do have this problem. I have heard a rumor there might be an aux in on the back of the stereo if you take the dash apart. If i were in your shoes i might consider buying a cheap used ipod touch just for the car. Tether it to your android for internet and you should be able to listen to spotify and pandora. You can tether your phone for free, just gotta download certain apps for android. I dont know if anyone has tried to do this but i tapped into the audio line on my satellite radio on my g35 to get an aux input
Old 01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
jco23

have you seen this:

DockBoss+: Plug Android phones into iPhone docks | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
Old 01-03-2013, 05:14 PM
grazsrootz

Its only 30$ definitely worth a shot. if it doesnt work return it
Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM
dholmblad
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really wish the audio interface was USB instead of whatever cord plugs into my iphone. Mine doesnt charge.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 PM
TruLux

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2013 G37xS w/Nav and I can stream music via Bluetooth (samsung galaxy).

Just go through the Bluetooth settings.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
RUsum1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by TruLux
I have a 2013 G37xS w/Nav and I can stream music via Bluetooth (samsung galaxy).

He said he doesn't have navigation/bluetooth so that's not an option for him

Originally Posted by jco23
have you seen this:

DockBoss+: Plug Android phones into iPhone docks | Android Atlas - CNET Reviews
This looks like it only plugs into iPod specific jacks. My car is basic USB to the radio so how would it work?
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM
enj808

Hi guy's new to forum just bought a 2012 g37 no navi and actually signed up here to find an answer to the bluetooth android issue. Anyone solve this yet? Thanks
Old 01-24-2013, 05:10 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres a blackberry BT module you can buy that a buddy of mine used to connect. He has an 08 G Coupe and doesnt have AD2P capability.

Basically he would connect via BT to the BB module, and the module would connect through the car as if it was making a phone call.

unfortunately that DockBoss will NOT work....because the end port requires a Male ipod connector. our G's do not have that kind of slot available

Originally Posted by TruLux

you must have nav to have bluetooth streaming support..............no nav just has basic telephone BT streaming
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
9whiteG

I acutally purchased an RCA to 3.5MM cord. It's a bit annoying, but was able to find a 3 foot cord. I just plug right into the audio portion of the RCA input and plug into my headphone jack on my Galaxy S3. Works perfectly, only problem is I have to charge the phone with the regular car charger at the same time. Works great for music on the phone as well as Pandora.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3449316

Last edited by 9whiteG; 03-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:19 PM
Joe'sG37x

Originally Posted by 9whiteG
I acutally purchased an RCA to 3.5MM cord. It's a bit annoying, but was able to find a 3 foot cord. I just plug right into the audio portion of the RCA input and plug into my headphone jack on my Galaxy S3. Works perfectly, only problem is I have to charge the phone with the regular car charger at the same time. Works great for music on the phone as well as Pandora.

3-Ft. 1/8 Stereo to Dual Phono (RCA) Plug Y-Cable : Y-Cables | RadioShack.com

Where did you plug the RCA to? I don't think our car has any RCA plugs ??
Old 03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
cribbsjy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe'sG37x
Where did you plug the RCA to? I don't think our car has any RCA plugs ??
Pre-2010 G37's have RCA input. 2010+ have USB input.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:58 PM
vidg37

Originally Posted by josh6847

However...

So far, the only thing I tried was buying a USB to 3.5mm headset jack. Here it is:
Mazur USB to 3.5mm jack Mazur USB to 3.5mm jack
. This did not work. When switching the USB via the Auxillary button in the car, the behavior was just like when I connect my Android phone, "Check Connected Device" shows on the screen. I also have this adapter on the way:
Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter Syba USB Stereo Audio Adapter
. I read that this worked for one person, but did not work for another person. I guess we shall see.

Thanks in advance.
@josh6847 Did anything work for you? I am facing similar issues with my HTC One
Old 12-25-2013, 11:07 AM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You could tap into the XM satellite module and use it as an aux port. Why Infiniti decided to remove Aux ports on 2010+ models behooves me. Search the forum as someone did a DIY on tapping into XM radio. I have an 09 and it has RCA jacks. I connected an Auris Bluetooth unit and stream to that. A cool feature on my Galaxy S4 is that I can dedicate calls to my cars BT and media to the Auris. This allows me to use my cars Bluetooth when makings calls and play music on the Auris. Although the Auris does have a built in microphone and I could use it to make calls, my cars BT works better.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 PM
vdpinc01
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, I'm going to bring this thread back. I'm a newbie, just purchased a 09 g37 journey non nav. I have been searching for days about how to do a video bypass and I keep finding all different types ways and modules but nothing current. Also, I have an android that I connected to the RCA's and hit the ebrake just to see if it would work but that didn't work. Probably because the car is old and technology has surpassed it. But has anyone found a new way of bypassing and making the stock non nav work with the newer androids?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vdpinc01; 01-17-2016 at 11:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Streaming audio from my Android-based phone to the car audio