Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the up/down shift points are adaptive, meaning the computer saves parameters as you drive, and tries to optimize shift points to your "driving style" (which is, I'm guessing, a bunch of saved parameters for each gear transition).

So my question is, what about just clearing the "driving style" memory and letting the computer re-acquire the driving style parameters, to see if that fixes it, before changing the program itself via the TSB? On some cars, the driver can clear the memory without going into the dealer.

If, after clearing the memory and letting the computer re-acquire your driving style parameters you still have the same problem, that would be a more solid argument for changing the program itself.

Any thoughts?
I know virtually 100% of the posters here have experienced undesireable transmission performance from the start and although the performance or at least "lessening of the quirks" seems to occur over time (probably due to the adaptive transmission) it's still not to the point where one would be completely happy w/ the trans. Although my 09 does seem to have adapted and smoothed out over time, it's still nowhere near my 07Gs smooth and quick transmission shifting (up & down through the gears). I know the 7spd is more involved and would require a more complex software program but just hoping the car will eventually smooth out to the point of driver satisfaction has run its' course. I'm ready to have the TSB done, and I have no doubt it will be a better drive, it surely couldn't be worse (right????).
Hopefully we can get some feedback on this TSB soon as I can't get to the dealer for a couple months, but it would be reassuring knowing it is indeed a positive step forward for our 7ATs.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone have a printout of this TSB. I can't seem to find it....
Old 12-27-2010, 03:21 PM
surfjax87

Originally Posted by jb606
Hopefully this smooths out the shifting in stop-and-go traffic. The last time I got stuck in traffic I thought that the transmission was going to fall out of the car or one of the prop shafts was going to drop.
Originally Posted by cvroom
im talking about while travelling slow between 15-30 mph and the trans dumps it into the lower gear and you feel a clunk like something almost broke.
This is my only issue with my transmission now. It happens every now and then and scares the crap out of me. The first time it happened I thought the tranny blew.

My only other annoyance is the flare from 3->4. I'm bringing my car in for them to look at the huge bubble I have in my driver seat in a couple weeks, but don't know whether or not to bring up the tranny issue.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:00 PM
1BadAssG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got the program installed in my car as well as few weeks ago another update but this one seems to fix the issue of gear changing from 1 to 2 smoothly but still have that scare down shift if you are going to a stop in DS mode the RPM goes buzurk and revs to 5000. Minor fixes but still issues
Old 12-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Noddy11

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine reflashed last week when I had my first oil change done. I didn't get it just because the update existed, but because it was pissing me off. Since the reflash it seems better but far from perfect. There are still quite a lot of clumsy gear changes but they aren't as violent or as frequent as before.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:46 AM
llee916

Took my G to Infiniti dealership- they test drove it and found no unusual problems. They also said that there were no TSBs for the 2010 model, but just for the 2009 model.

Does this 2010 TSB really exist or was that a TEASER?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llee916
Took my G to Infiniti dealership- they test drove it and found no unusual problems. They also said that there were no TSBs for the 2010 model, but just for the 2009 model.

That's the same response I got from my dealership earlier. Please post any reviews of the 7AT after the reflash and a copy of the TSB.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:34 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by bashirdur
I just got the program installed in my car as well as few weeks ago another update but this one seems to fix the issue of gear changing from 1 to 2 smoothly but still have that scare down shift if you are going to a stop in DS mode the RPM goes buzurk and revs to 5000. Minor fixes but still issues
That is designed like that for DS. I would be extremely surprised if they ever "fixed" it. Just drive in D.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:43 AM
dirtymaf

I brought mine in this morning, their internet service was down and as a result they couldn't do any updates, but they told me that they charge $130 to do an evaluation for any TSBs. Is this standard practice? I was expecting no charge for a TSB related service.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:32 AM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dirtymaf
I brought mine in this morning, their internet service was down and as a result they couldn't do any updates, but they told me that they charge $130 to do an evaluation for any TSBs. Is this standard practice? I was expecting no charge for a TSB related service.
If the car is under warranty, it should be FREE. Take it to another dealer and/or contact Infiniti directly to report them.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:37 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtymaf
i've encountered the "internet service is down" excuse from service departments. Not only from Infiniti, but from Audi, VW, and MB. It seems that's a good excuse to them when they don't feel like doing something. Although I've never heard that excuse when you go in to buy a car from the dealer. Just sayin...
Old 12-28-2010, 10:44 AM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by llee916

Do you notice any unusual problems? I go back to my original statement in this thread, if you aren't noticing any problems then you don't need a reflash. If you are, then keep pushing your dealer to re-produce them, they will find and fix the problems.

I don't think there is a TSB out there for 2010s, we are already on the most recent tranny updates. I could be wrong...but that is what I think.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:49 AM
dirtymaf

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
If the car is under warranty, it should be FREE. Take it to another dealer and/or contact Infiniti directly to report them.
I decided to call Infiniti Corporate about it, they confirmed it should be free and took down the dealer info. Looks like I'll be taking the car somewhere else for the update. It seems like every time I go to a dealer for something they try to screw me. Maybe I look like a sucker .
Old 12-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Almatti

dirtymaf: Did "corporate" give you the TSB issue No? There seems to be a Mystery about this TSB "fix" for the 7 AT.......

On another thread, a member DaMayor from Massapequa Infiniti in Long Island, NY, posted that the TSB about the 7 AT performance just came out 2 weeks ago? DaMayor, can you help?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:25 PM
1BadAssG

Those of you how have hard time getting the TSB, just go to the service department and complain about the transmission lag and hasitant and the rest should be followed by the service advisor. Two times I took my car in and all I had to say was that my transmission is lagging and revs up/down crazily. The service advisor without any questions reflashed my transmission ans ecm twice now with no charge whatsoever.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram