Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My only real complaint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Hayabusa02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My only real complaint

I must say that my only real complaint about the G so far is the paddle shifters. I like them and have used them on other high end sports vehicles in the past...but could someone please tell me WHY THEY ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THE WHEEL! I mean, really, how am I supposed to shift while cornering? The paddles are not there anymore and I have to leave one hand loose on the wheel to be able to do it. For those who track there cars has this been an issue to you or were most of you smarter than I was and got the 6MT version?
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't tracked the car (yet, if at all) but I got the 6MT out of the gate best decision I've made
Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
honestly....id rather have them not attached to the wheel. The paddles on my Jag are attached and I find it difficult to find and press (especially when the wheel is turned and positions switched)

however the paddles on the G are big enough so that you can easily grab them even while turning
Old 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM
The G

Originally Posted by Hayabusa02
I must say that my only real complaint about the G so far is the paddle shifters. I like them and have used them on other high end sports vehicles in the past...but could someone please tell me WHY THEY ARE NOT ATTACHED TO THE WHEEL! I mean, really, how am I supposed to shift while cornering? The paddles are not there anymore and I have to leave one hand loose on the wheel to be able to do it. For those who track there cars has this been an issue to you or were most of you smarter than I was and got the 6MT version?
LOL, that's the whole point of not attaching them to the wheel, so one finds it easier to shift while cornering. Honestly if they weren't built like that, my engine would be destroyed by now.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:57 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hell no.. why would u want it to be attached to the wheel.. it's not arcade :P
Old 04-12-2010, 10:58 PM
mswistak14

I'll just wait for my 458 Italia for paddle shifters.....heh
Old 04-12-2010, 11:00 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I've tracked the car plenty of times and I must say it is much better having them not attached. You always know where they are and they are big enough that you can hit them from almost any position. If they are attached to the wheel it's much easier to lose place or hit the wrong one. Look at Ferrari or other high end/exotic cars, they pretty much all have them seperate from the wheel.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 PM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seperate from the wheel is definitely the best. Of course, I find myself using the console shifter to shift most of the time in manual mode....
Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 AM
mw09g37

cause that's where they're supposed to be. =P j/k

I think on our cars we have a pretty tight turning radius and power steering response (at least the sport trims do) I haven't ever had to let go of my steering wheel to make a pretty sharp turn. but yeah F1 is column mounted

The IS350 is steering wheel mounted and I constantly miss the paddles when I drive it like I want to... lol (They corrected this problem on the LFA: they're column mounted)

but yeah it's a question to why a company like Porsche doesn't do that on their column mount them on their pdk's

Maybe it's a materials thing... I mean the paddles (from what i've seen) on column mounted setups are really big... lol I mean I can pull the G's w/ my pinky, if not I use the stick

Last edited by mw09g37; 04-13-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:22 AM
Hayabusa02

I'm getting used to it for daily driving. Car is still too new for me to track it yet. I can see peoples point about find them. I guess I 'm just used to not taking my hand off the wheel that much when driving so the paddles have always been close to my fingers. I can see where it might be easier if they are in a fixed location, especially for around town driving where you have to turn the wheel much more than 180 degrees.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:15 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the paddles where they are. But I only use the paddles on the hwy.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:46 AM
mw09g37

plus you aren't really supposed to go into a turn in a higher gear. you want the extra RPM for the grip and to take you quick out of a turn. which actually means you shouldn't have to ever hit the paddles with the wheel turned.

what I hate is how the stupid TCM is programmed. in normal D it has to go through all 7 gears to get the 60-70... We should only need 5 to get to 60. with 6 being an over drive it only gets to after acceleration. followed by 7th when you're coasting at a high speed. Which is why I just drive in DS. it'll solve most of your problems with the 7AT

Last edited by mw09g37; 04-14-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 AM
STOOF

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I was smarter than you and got 6mt.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:13 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stoof@180Custom
I was smarter than you and got 6mt.
Good for you, you get a star for the day.
I like my G sedan with an auto. The sedan is too big IMO for a stick, but a coupe or a car no bigger than a 3 series needs a stick.

And just for the record here's a list of the cars I owned before my G that were stick:

83 GTI
87 scirocco 16V
98 Honda Prelude
02 WRX Wagon

Until I bought my first G in august of 08 I had driven nothing but stick since Nov of 82, that's 25 years straight.

I think I should also qualify for a gold star.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Hayabusa02

Well, I think what you mean is you are supposed to downshift before the turn to a low gear and accelerate out of the turn. There are plenty of turns on the road and track I have had to take in 2nd or 3rd gear and found myself needing to shift while having the wheel turned coming out of the turn. It all depends on the RPMs when you downshift. Too low and you can't accelerate out properly, too high and you bump into the red line. I find that this car, in low gears, is geared very close and I end up needing to shift before coming out of the turn.

In hind sight I wish I got the 6MT, but there is nothing I can do about that now. I'll just have to learn the 7AT

Quick Reply: My only real complaint