G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 PM
Superteeth

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It seems like thus far everyone who has mentioned that they had this problem had it occur on a 2008-2010 model year Infiniti. Apparently there is also a metal gasket available as a replacement for the paper one, so here is my question: Does anyone know if 2012+ Infiniti engines started being manufactured with the metal gasket, or if they continued to use the paper gasket? It would not be fun to come across this problem in my 2012 Infiniti G37 Coupe.

The reason I ask is because I have not heard of such a serious, widespread issue for Infiniti G37s (maybe I have not looked hard enough). I don't mind very minor issues like seat bubbling and whatnot (even if these things aren't expected in what is supposed to be a luxury brand), but major engine issues like oil pressure loss are the kinds of things I am trying to avoid by purchasing an Infiniti.

Another question: I am not an engineer, so I can't say why Nissan decided to use paper gaskets for an area with high oil pressure, but is there a good engineering reason why they didn't use a metal one?

Black Betty, I totally feel your pain on the issue of going in to dealerships to perform routine maintenance for "brownie points". I do maintenance on my vehicles because I feel I am the only one who cares enough to take the time to do it right. The dealerships have time constraints, and aren't as likely to pay attention to detail. However, like you I will never go in to a dealership for routine maintenance, especially considering that my local dealership is Austin Infiniti, which despite the glowing reviews it has online treated me like I was some homeless guy browsing their car lots when I was looking to purchase my Infiniti. I called around, got a great deal at Southwest Infiniti in Houston, and drove down there to pick the car up.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Last edited by Superteeth; 04-25-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:41 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
True. I got off track thinking about that whole goodwill / right thing to do mentality versus the business case of a recall.
Yes, I agree with all your points. :-)

Any my Altima with what I assume was the issues, was an '06. But, with that car I'll never know unless I contact the new owner.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

If you do a search for the terminology or error code (on the web, not just on here) you'll find a lot of Z's, too.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have never heard or seen anything at all about a metal gasket replacing the cardboard one. I don't know where you got that info from, but I've researched the issue extensively and never come across that.

I'd surmise that it's affecting 08s and 09s because they're older and have more miles. Newer models may experience it when they get as much mileage as older cars.

The issue affects all VQs. 3.5 and 3.7L. Maxima, Altima, Z, G, etc.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
Superteeth

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I have never heard or seen anything at all about a metal gasket replacing the cardboard one. I don't know where you got that info from, but I've researched the issue extensively and never come across that.
Well, that's not good. I guess it may not even really be a matter of IF it happens, it is just a matter of WHEN. Some people may get really lucky and not see the issue appear until fairly high mileage is reached (although I do not know of just how high-mileage the highest mileage VQ engine that is prone to this issue is).

About the metal gasket, TVPostSound says something about Infiniti selling metal versions of the gasket in question. This occurs on the first page of this thread. I don't know about the validity of the information, though.

I was already leaning towards getting an extended warranty once the factory one was out, just because I am the warranty-purchasing kind of person (although I realize that most of the time the customer loses on warranties). However, even if my car had this issue, and everything was fixed with nothing out of my pocket, it would still leave a bitter taste in my mouth to have a serious issue with a car I have taken great care of. I still don't understand why a part that is not meant to be replaced is made out of cardboard, though.

Last edited by Superteeth; 04-25-2014 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:17 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by Superteeth
Another question: I am not an engineer, so I can't say why Nissan decided to use paper gaskets for an area with high oil pressure, but is there a good engineering reason why they didn't use a metal one?
I'm guessing it came down to a cost basis decision unfortunately. BB, I thought I remembered someone mentioning that a metal one is now used. Maybe TVPostSound can chime in on some additional details.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

The fairly widespread incidence of this failure has gotten me to look at ways to mitigate this issue. No one wants to come out of pocket for $2.5-3.5k and I truly feel for those of you that have, so I'm going to start a new thread for the WarrantyDirect extended warranty which DOES cover this failure. I'll post the link once it's created. I know it's a day late and a dollar short for those of you that have unfortunately been through this.

Last edited by twin_snails; 04-26-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:20 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

As promised, here's the thread on Warranty Direct extended coverage:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3771198
Old 04-26-2014, 11:50 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Wouldn't this failure be covered under infiniti elite care ??
Old 04-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Superteeth

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Wouldn't this failure be covered under infiniti elite care ??
Based on what the Elite Warranty DOESN'T cover (which is rattles, squeaks, and maintenance items like the clutch, tires, bulbs, etc.), it should be covered by the Elite Warranty. That is why I am considering getting it. Although I haven't been able to find the information on Infiniti's brochure about the warranty, I was wondering if anyone else knew if there was a limit on the maximum mileage you could have before getting the 8 year/120,000 mile warranty. My Infiniti G37 Coupe is on lease, but the lease period ends next year. I foresee my mileage being at around 36,000-40,000 miles by then.

As far as I can tell, the price increases as the mileage on your car increases, but that's kind of weird when the factory (powertrain?) warranty goes all the way to 60,000 miles, and the bumper-to-bumper warranty extends into some number of miles, so it wouldn't make sense to get an extended one until you have exhausted the factory warranties.
Old 04-29-2014, 12:37 AM
carnacious
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got ****ed over on a dealership (none infiniti) extended warranties
Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

On a related note...I'd love to see a poll of drivers with the problem (after warranty/70k miles) versus drivers without the problem. If we're only a couple out of thousands...does that warrant the value of purchasing an extended warranty?

Posting something like this (results and related internet searches showing all the Nissan/Infiniti vehicles with the same issue just after warranty) on a public forum (maybe even tagging the manufacturers) could raise some awareness and visibility. I know I have a few friends with this engine that are already starting to get worried. It could deter me from buying Nissan in the future and they wouldn't like to see that type of trend happening.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:03 PM
ballz3
Registered Member

Ok, I just picked up my car from the dealer and the work has been performed (they also changed the oil and coolant while it was there).

So, I spoke with the tech that did the work and he actually walked me in to show me my old cover and the explained the problem with the gasket. He's aware they used to sell only the gasket and explained why they don't do that anymore.

As you can see in the pics previously posted by others, there are screws holding the plate down over the gasket. He said he's spoken to Infiniti about it before and they haven't given them the torque specs for these screws (plus, they are screws and not bolts). That's one reason why they don't want to replace just the gasket. The next reason is because he said the other gasket will probably go bad shortly after (an argument could be just to replace both while it's apart). He mentioned something else about the oil pressure and the cover but I don't recall the details.

So, he said the reason this is happening is because the cover is aluminum and the gasket plate is metal (steel? Not sure what type of metal), which of course expand and contract at different rates. This puts extra friction and pressure on the gasket causing all sorts of discomfort and distortion on the gasket.

So yes, it sounds like a design flaw (maybe a different type of gasket needs to be used, or a different material for the gasket cover??) that should probably be addressed.

On another note, he said they see about 50 cars a year with this issue up around this type of mileage (and 50 cars through that service center isn't a whole lot in my area).

Hope this helps....and I wish I could remember what he said about the other parts in there. Something about the timing chains...but he said he's had other cars come in who had a small shop just replace the gasket and other related issues come up (whether it's screws loosening due to torque or the other gasket failing, I can only speculate). This plate comes in one piece with everything assembled so they don't have to gamble with it.
The following users liked this post:
krazyfiend (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
thanks for the update, glad your G is fixed......and wow, 50 cars a year through one service center with that same issue its quite a bit
Old 10-14-2014, 05:15 AM
vqsmile

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Here's a scan of my invoice.

Hey Black Betty, Ive been dealing with my own little oil pressure issues on my G35 (I usually live over on G35Driver) and recently read through this thread detailing your unfortunate experience with Infiniti. In fact, it is largely due to this very thread that I tested my own oil pressure BEFORE my Elite warranty expired (car still ran great, no CEL, but has 5psi at idle), so props to you for that save!

Anyway, after running down that parts list on your invoice above, I came across what I believe is a fairly glaring error. If you'll notice, on the second to the last line of the parts list, it lists part #13042-3HD0A, the camshaft oil seals, but only shows a quantity of two! There are fully three on each cam cover, and two cam covers, so the total should be six.

2012 G37 Sedan: OEM Engine Mechanical (CAMSHAFT & VALVE MECHANI COVER ASSY-VTC,W/VTC VALVE) Replacement Parts

Any less than that could quite possibly mean they didn't replace all of them as required per factory service specifications. They are NEVER to be reinstalled once they have been used before. Those seals have to hold substantial oil pressure, and to exacting pressures to accurately control the variable valve timing in these motors. If I were you, I'd want to have a serious discussion with the service establishment that provided that invoice and see why they only show two seals instead of six. I know you probably don't even want to think about this at this point, but . . . just throwing it out there.
The following users liked this post:
Black Betty (10-15-2014)

Quick Reply: Infiniti Consumer Affairs - poor experience