Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

REVIEW: Fast Intentions Sedan Setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:34 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
REVIEW: Fast Intentions Sedan Setup

Alright fellas, after 3 months of waiting I finally received my FI exhaust with 12' resonators and FI Resonated HFC's!!! The packaging couldn't have been better. They made 100% sure this thing couldn't be damaged during shipping.

QUALITY: The welds were great and the pipes were flawless (free of any scratches or dings). The materials were very solid.

INSTALLATION: I had everything installed by SOHO Motorsports in Charlotte NC. Installation only took 1hr 20mins. for some reason I thought it would take much longer. The installer said that FI makes the best quality exhaust that he's seen period. Everything lined up and bolted on without any problems.

Exterior Sound: When the installer cranked it up for the first time to check for leaks I jumped out of my seat wondering if that beautiful sound was coming from my car! When I looked through the shop window and saw that it was all I could do was grin. After he lowered the car from the lift and started it for me the sound was extremely deep and throaty. You could feel the rumble in your chest! He rev'd it a couple of times before he test drove it! The sound was just amazing! No rasp at all! Just clean and throaty! I let my brother drive it while I followed in his car and I loved the sound that I heard coming from the backend. I did hear the hiss that has been common with hfc's.

Interior Sound: Nice rumble from inside the cabin. There has been an occasional slight drone around 2k rpm but it doesn't happen often. I am getting a rattle that I think is coming from the brace underneath the car. I'm thinking about taking it off. Let me tell you, this car SCREAMS at WOT (wide open throttle)!!! But at cruising speeds is deep and clean.

Looks: The car looks great from behind and not overly goofy like some of the other exhausts out there. The cans flow great with the car.

Power: The car definitely pulls harder now. It sounds and feels like it wants to be pushed.

Conclusion: I recommend this exhaust and rhfc to anyone out there looking for the best quality, power, and sound combination for our cars. If you have a problem waiting and being patient you may go crazy through the course of waiting for it's arrival. *The Youtube videos don't compare to hearing this thing in person!
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: Fast Intentions Sedan Setup-20150519_144246-1-.jpg  

Last edited by crawlbugg; 05-26-2015 at 09:41 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by crawlbugg:
blnewt (05-26-2015), Redfire32 (05-26-2015), Rochester (05-26-2015), Upscale Speed (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 10:11 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Nice write up. Is your car lowered? If so are there any clearance issues?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Redfire32
Ginger ninja

Received 257 Likes on 229 Posts
I second that nice write up Sir. Everything sounds great and I'm even more excited about getting mine on now. So you kinda made my morning! Thx.

One thing that's popping up in reviews of FI lately is that slight drone at 2-3K. That's a bit scary and why I wanted to go with 18" res. But hey it can't be that bad....
Old 05-26-2015, 10:37 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by crawlbugg
I am getting a rattle that I think is coming from the brace underneath the car. I'm thinking about taking it off.
I wouldn't do that. First try installing a couple of SS washers at the bolts between the brace and the frame. Also, try bending the brace downward a little bit.

I've got the larger 2.5" FI setup, and there's adequate clearance between the pipes and the frame brace... after a little bit of effort and consideration.

The car definitely pulls harder now. It sounds and feels like it wants to be pushed.
You installed cats and catback at the same time? Pretty impressive skills at 80 minutes for your shop. The cats can be a b1tch.

Given you did both at once, you absolutely should be noticing power gains. You must be having fun.

Very enthusiastic write-up, OP.

Originally Posted by Redfire32
One thing that's popping up in reviews of FI lately is that slight drone at 2-3K. That's a bit scary and why I wanted to go with 18" res. But hey it can't be that bad....
It's a highway thing, mostly in 6th gear. And even with the 18" res, it's there, Redfire.

Same with the hiss on decel... it's a real thing. But you compromise and adapt. Focus on the win. (Easy advice to give, not so much to take, LOL) For example, when you start the car cold, it sounds truly horrible. Downright embarrassing. Until it warms up, you might be hiding in the garage.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-26-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Great review and it looks nice! How about a close up of the tips?
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by KEG97
Great review and it looks nice! How about a close up of the tips?
Not to ***** the OP's thread, but here's a decent close-up of the tips.

They're custom made for Fast Intentions by Sebring Tuning, out of California. 4" round Stainless Steel, highly polished, double-walled, resonated, with a 15* slash cut and a rolled edge. The FI logo is laser-etched into the top, although that's not an obvious thing once installed.

Very, very attractive tips, IMO.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
crawlbugg (05-26-2015), KEG97 (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Speed
Nice write up. Is your car lowered? If so are there any clearance issues?
Yes my car is lowered on Eibach springs but there are no clearance issues.

Last edited by crawlbugg; 05-26-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
I wouldn't do that. First try installing a couple of SS washers at the bolts between the brace and the frame. Also, try bending the brace downward a little bit.

I've got the larger 2.5" FI setup, and there's adequate clearance between the pipes and the frame brace... after a little bit of effort and consideration.

You installed cats and catback at the same time? Pretty impressive skills at 80 minutes for your shop. The cats can be a b1tch.

Given you did both at once, you absolutely should be noticing power gains. You must be having fun.

It's a highway thing, mostly in 6th gear. And even with the 18" res, it's there, Redfire.

Same with the hiss on decel... it's a real thing. But you compromise and adapt. Focus on the win. (Easy advice to give, not so much to take, LOL) For example, when you start the car cold, it sounds truly horrible. Downright embarrassing. Until it warms up, you might be hiding in the garage.

-He already installed the washers but that didn't fully eliminate the issue. I'll try bending next. Is there a purpose for the brace now?

-Yes, I'm absolutely having fun driving it! Keep making excuses to drive. Leaving the house for no apparent reason.
Wife:"Where are you going now?"

Me: To run a couple of errands.

Wife: But you just got back.

Me: Yeah, I forgot (bread, oil, etc.)

Wife: SMH
Old 05-26-2015, 11:47 AM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Redfire32
I second that nice write up Sir. Everything sounds great and I'm even more excited about getting mine on now. So you kinda made my morning! Thx.

No, it's not that bad at all! Plus I have 12' resonators and you have 18'inch so that may eliminate yours all together anyway. It doesn't happen all the time though.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:55 AM
Rochester
Administrator

-He already installed the washers but that didn't fully eliminate the issue. I'll try bending next. Is there a purpose for the brace now?
Now? As opposed to before your aftermarket exhaust?

It's a frame brace, not an exhaust component, so I'm assuming its purpose is to reduce body flex. As wimpy as it looks, it really doesn't take much to button things down, and since that's a huge channel there for the exhaust and driveshaft, I'm assuming it's necessary. But I really don't know... people will tell you different things based on their own predispositions or defense of their opinions. And I suppose that includes me.

Also, if you install the catback only somewhat tight, as a two-person effort, there's actually a little bit of fitment flex available before you torque down the bolts solid into the brackets.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-26-2015 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crawlbugg (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
I can verify that this exhaust setup is freaking amazing! I miss mine It was rare when I had a drone and I think I mainly heard it on a cold rainy day (if that) Glad you are excited about it!
crawlbugg (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 04:11 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Looks amazing on your G.
Any sound clips ?
Old 05-26-2015, 06:08 PM
Ken
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my FI w/ 18" resonators on my coupe. It sounds mean but refined at the same time.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:09 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
The 12 inch resonated exhaust does give you a little bit of a drone. I've found two fixes, turn the radio up or, hammer the crap out of up and enjoy!

Congrats OP, I love my set up as well!
crawlbugg (05-26-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 PM
crawlbugg
Registered Member

Here are a couple of pics of my car @ SOHO Motorsports!
Attached Thumbnails REVIEW: Fast Intentions Sedan Setup-soho-motorsports-pic.jpg  

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Fast Intentions Sedan Setup