Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slave Cylinder went, under warranty but dealer is being shifty..

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

All-

08 G37s 6sp Coupe.

Here is the situation, as of right now. I purchased my car nearly 3 years ago from an Infiniti dealership in AZ, and I now reside in California. I agreed to the extended warranty and the car currently has 69k on it.

I have noticed some grinding when shifting into 5th and 6th, sometimes shifting into 2nd gear at slow speeds as well. Last week as I was driving into work I noticed the clutch felt a little weird, I thought maybe since I hadn't driven it for a few days it was nothing.

As I got into my car on my lunch break the pedal hit the floor. Obviously slave/master issue. I limp it home, the clutch is engaging about an inch off the floorboard. Call the dealer, tell them what's going on and I take it in.

They call me to notify me that the clutch "spring/damper" had been removed and nothing will be covered under warranty. I did NOT remove the spring and the car was purchased from Infiniti.

I plead my case and they tell me they can replace the ENTIRE clutch assembly for around $450 before the inspector comes. They say they cannot replace ONLY the spring.. which I find ridiculous. I agree so we can get the process started.

Next, the tech claims that the slave isn't bad after he bled it since the fluid was "clean". He's obviously wrong since it's a sealed system and the fluid was most likely clear due to him bleeding it and adding new fluid.

Ok so they take it apart, and of course the slave is blown. I tell them I want the clutch inspected for hydraulic fluid since they told me the clutch was bad just from driving the car. Which is odd, considering i've NEVER had it slip. I also want them to inspect the synchro's.

They are trying to charge me 2k for the clutch itself, and $450 for the clutch assembly.

Anyone who has had this experience, could you let me know how you handled it and what type of OTD cost came along with it. Thanks in advance.

Pics of clutch they said is "burnt".

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/4VM1R9Z.jpg)
Slave Cylinder went, under warranty but dealer is being shifty..-4vm1r9z.jpg
Slave Cylinder went, under warranty but dealer is being shifty..-9lrsbtj.jpg
Old 08-19-2015, 03:43 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
What are they referring to as the "clutch spring/damper"?

Edit, they can't inspect the syncro's. The syncro's are inside the trans itself. Most Dealers don't disassemble/repair trans units, just replace them.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts

If they still continue to not want to pay i recommend you go aftermarket and you can find a good clutch and flywheel kit around 1k and some change with everything included. I went with JWT on my last coupe and it was great, other than the chatter due to the lightweight flywheel everything else was great. Hope you keep insisting and the dealer pays for it if not go with the 1300 I got myself a clutch, flywheel, OEM master cylinder, z speed concentric slave cylinder better than spending all that money on OEM! Good luck
Old 08-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Originally Posted by Jsolo
What are they referring to as the "clutch spring/damper"?

Edit, they can't inspect the syncro's. The syncro's are inside the trans itself. Most Dealers don't disassemble/repair trans units, just replace them.
The spring on the clutch pedal that makes it smoother.

They told me they would crack the trans and inspect due to the grinding. Although the inspector said the grinding was from the bad slave cylinder and air in the system. I can't possibly see how that would be a viable reason not to replace it.

The goal is to get a new tranny, this one is not nearly as smooth as it should be.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Cr0tchf4i

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
If they still continue to not want to pay i recommend you go aftermarket and you can find a good clutch and flywheel kit around 1k and some change with everything included. I went with JWT on my last coupe and it was great, other than the chatter due to the lightweight flywheel everything else was great. Hope you keep insisting and the dealer pays for it if not go with the 1300 I got myself a clutch, flywheel, OEM master cylinder, z speed concentric slave cylinder better than spending all that money on OEM! Good luck
Thanks Ricio, I appreciate it. My only thought is going with OEM so I still have the warranty. That way if ANYTHING isn't right, I'm getting it all replaced. I'm willing to bet the grinding will still happen, and I won't settle.

I was counting on the clutch being saturated in hydraulic fluid, but it isn't.