Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Need some help deciding between to local G37 Sedans at what I think are good

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:09 PM
wirelessroute

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need some help deciding between to local G37 Sedans at what I think are good

Hello There!

My first post so hello to all! I am looking to buy a G37 sedan to replace my wife’s aging TL. I have a FX35 that I am quite happy with so I thought I’d test drive some G37 since it’s a competitor of the TL.
Need some help deciding between 2 local G37. The numbers and prices are rounded but I tried to include as much detail. Both cars have the same exterior and interior colors. Both cars are at independent dealers (Non Nissan, Infiniti, brand name dealers)

1) 2011 G37x Sedan Auto
a. Miles: 50K
b. Price: 17,400
c. Basic coverage Warranty remaining: 5 months
d. Condition: Very Good. Exterior is better than the 2012
e. Options: Sunroof, Bose Speakers. (No Navi or Tech package)
f. User Car Inspection: Not performed yet was leaning toward car #2 looking for some advice before I spend another $125 for used car inspection.

2) 2012 G37 Journey RWD Sedan Auto
a. Miles: 50K
b. Price: 18,000 - $200 for tires = $17,800.
c. Basic coverage Warranty remaining: 14 Months
d. Condition: Very Good overall Interior is better than the 2011 but the exterior has some door dings and small scratches.
e. Options: Sunroof, Bose Speakers, Navigation, Bluetooth, Wood grain trim.
f. User Car Inspection: Took the car to local Infiniti dealer. They said the car was good over all but needed new tires. The dealer/seller offered $200 discount to compensate older tires.
The Infiniti dealer found that the previous owner must have ran over something in the road. It put a small to medium size dent in the Catalytic converter, y pipe and on the transmission pan
There are no CEL or issues while driving the car. The car also just passed emissions inspection.

So I was leaning toward # 2 since my location is in the south and it when it does snow (Few times a year) I almost never drive in it thus not needing the AWD.My concern is that I took the 2012 Journey in for used car inspection and found some issues with small dent in Catalytic converter. Not sure how big a deal this is? The dealer scared me with a $1800 quote for replacing the 1 Cat and y pipe. The transmission pan and gasket, I was going to have replaced by mechanic or Infiniti dealer who charging around $220 for it.
I complained to the dealer/seller about the 2012 door dings and marks. He very arrogantly said he can get them out or removed. Just stuck at this point not sure if I should pursue getting the 2011 inspected? What do you guys think? I’ve been debating this with my wife and just can’t decide. On one hand I love that the 2012 has longer warranty, but will I miss the AWD ? Is a dented Cat that big deal?What would you do? Hoping to make some decisions tomorrow once I hear back from the dealer that has the 2012 and if he can remove the door dings.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM
Pho
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Stating the obvious, you're getting more for your money with the '12.

I can't say much as I'm still learning all about cars, but I do know about the RWD/AWD deal.

Do you live in an area with snow? If so then get the AWD over RWD. Otherwise RWD is the way to go, bit better gas mileage and I think I read that there's huge spacings between the wheels with the AWD model. Also if you want to work/mod in the future, the RWD is easier/cheaper so I heard.

For the price difference, I'd go with the '12. No idea about the catalytic converter,etc. though. Someone else more knowledgeable should answer that.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:03 PM
wirelessroute

Originally Posted by Pho
Stating the obvious, you're getting more for your money with the '12.

I can't say much as I'm still learning all about cars, but I do know about the RWD/AWD deal.

Do you live in an area with snow? If so then get the AWD over RWD. Otherwise RWD is the way to go, bit better gas mileage and I think I read that there's huge spacings between the wheels with the AWD model. Also if you want to work/mod in the future, the RWD is easier/cheaper so I heard.

For the price difference, I'd go with the '12. No idea about the catalytic converter,etc. though. Someone else more knowledgeable should answer that.

It does snow a few times in Jan and Feb. Its usually bad and all the offices and school close or not bad at all. I ended up not having to drive in any at all this year so AWD may not be needed?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Epiphany
Registered Member

Received 232 Likes on 208 Posts
If you're not dealing with 3+ months of snow there's no reason to get the AWD.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:13 AM
wirelessroute

Great thanks for the feedback. My only other concerns are the dents in the Cat and Y pipe. Does not appear to be leaking or causing any issues. The Infiniti dealer quoted me prices to replace them but never went as far as saying stay away from the car (i.e. don't buy this one because of these dents). If the dealership that is selling the car gets the 2 door dings out should I consider it ? I think the price is very good for age, mileage and over all condition.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:11 AM
wirelessroute

I contacted the Infiniti dealer again that did the used car inspection about the catalytic dent. They stated " . The technician feels like this is a good car except for the findings of the exhaust " Makes me feel a bit better they didn't tell me to avoid or not buy the car.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Pho
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wirelessroute
I contacted the Infiniti dealer again that did the used car inspection about the catalytic dent. They stated " . The technician feels like this is a good car except for the findings of the exhaust " Makes me feel a bit better they didn't tell me to avoid or not buy the car.
You should be fine then, don't think they will sell a car that'll cause problems because then they'll be the one in trouble.

I'd still try and get a person more knowledgeable about that issue. Hopefully someone else on the forum can pop up in the thread.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:33 PM
serega13

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts
If you had a leak in the catalytic converter, you would have a strong gas smell from the exhaust and a check engine light on. If you don't have either of those things, you are good.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
GeezerB
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Even if you don't use the Nav, it's a better deal. Better resale & more Bluetooth options.
Nobody looks underneath their cars
Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 PM
wirelessroute

Originally Posted by Pho
You should be fine then, don't think they will sell a car that'll cause problems because then they'll be the one in trouble.

I'd still try and get a person more knowledgeable about that issue. Hopefully someone else on the forum can pop up in the thread.
Update: I got a call this evening that the 2nd car sold to someone else. Guess I don't need to debate about the dented Cat anymore. I guess I will continue to look. The 1st car is ok deal but I think I might be able to find a better car with some patience. Just stinks most are further away and want to find one locally, in dark grey or silver with black interior with low miles with a good price almost seems impossible.
Old 07-22-2015, 08:56 PM
Pho
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wirelessroute
Update: I got a call this evening that the 2nd car sold to someone else. Guess I don't need to debate about the dented Cat anymore. I guess I will continue to look. The 1st car is ok deal but I think I might be able to find a better car with some patience. Just stinks most are further away and want to find one locally, in dark grey or silver with black entire with low miles with a good price almost seems impossible.
Man that happened to me, I waited to long and the car I was looking at got sold. However I waited and about 2 months later I finally got what I wanted, more features and better price

You'll find the one for you soon man, good luck!
Old 07-22-2015, 08:57 PM
wirelessroute

Originally Posted by Pho
Man that happened to me, I waited to long and the car I was looking at got sold. However I waited and about 2 months later I finally got what I wanted, more features and better price

You'll find the one for you soon man, good luck!
appreciate the vote of confidence
Thanks to all that provided feedback. I am still on the search and may be posting soon.