Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review My 2013 G37 Sport Coupe 6MT KW Variant 3 Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
Thumbs up My 2013 G37 Sport Coupe 6MT KW Variant 3 Install Review

Hello Everyone!

Recently Danny at Slammered Inc. completed my KW Variant 3 install on my project 2013 G37 Sport Coupe 6MT. Overall KWV3 is hands down the BEST out-of-the-box coilover setup I have yet to experience. KW is well known for building world class coilovers for many years. Recently I had the pleasure of meeting George Ciordas from KW Automotive at the West Palm Beach Formula D Drift event and he explained more in detail what makes their product so great. After hearing about all the fantastic features and quality about the product, I was sold on KW and immediately placed my order for the KW Variant 3 setup.

Recently I traded in my 2008 G37 Sport Coupe that went through quite a few setups that all led up to KW. I started back in 2008 with a simple spring setup from Tein (S-Techs) that were by far the harshest ride I have ever experienced and gave an uneven drop with zero adjustability. Not long after I upgraded to Tanabe Sustec-Pro coilovers that did give me height adjustability I was looking for but offered no damping adjustment. Shortly before I traded my 08 coupe i jumped on Stance GR true coilovers based on reviews and recommendations from forum members. I ran the Stance GR's for a few months and even though they offered full height adjustability and damping adjustments, they were not meeting my expectations as I was seeking much more performance/handling and ride comfort out of my G37.

initial install looked like a breeze. Danny at Slammered has a ton of experience with suspension as his specialty and all went very smooth. We of course documented install to show the progress of installation process. After the install was done and height was adjusted to my liking with rear being dropped max low, we then took it out several times for a test drive, then back to his shop making all necessary adjustments with the available compression & Rebound settings. Even though much test & tune was involved, in the end, it was certainly worth it.

The only Con of the KW's is the following.

- No pillowball uppermounts included (Must re-use OEM rubber upper mounts)

The Pros outweigh the con.

- Great overall quality for the money
- Easy ride height, damping & rebound adjustment capabilities
- Inox-line* stainless steel technology
- (TÜV) Tested & Approved
- High-quality components for long durability
- 14-way adjustable compression damping
- Amazing performance/handling

First Impressions -

Ride quality exceeded all expectations. Absolutely amazing ride comfort with zero rattling or noise of any kind. Danny had my coils set 4 clicks off from full stiff and at max drop there is virtually no squat once you accelerate, the car just feels planted. Even though my G37 won't see the track until a possible Twin Turbo Kit and VPS (Vossen Precision Series) wheels, daily driving or even spirited driving is fantastic. I travel 70 miles a day round trip to work and home and I can honestly say KW is far better than anything I ever experienced. Handling is unbelievable, steering feel feels solid and much more stable than before and with everything dialed in, the car just wants to be pushed to the limits. At a dive-in on turns you feel very connected to the road with almost no body roll. Wether you are driving low or high speeds, you will not be disappointed with KW technology.

Overall Impressions -

You get what you pay for. Quality is superb with all necessary adjustability needed for an amazing ride. Performance/Handling exceeded all my expectations and even though I should have gone with KW from the start, I love the night and day difference from the rest. Very happy with the outcome and I can't wait to really change up the settings with a nice 20x9.5/20x11 255/305 wheel/Tire set-up.

Current Mod List:

- 2013 Infiniti G37 Sport Coupe 6MT -

Performance:

Stillen Gen. 3 CAI
GTHAUS Y-Pipe
GTHAUS Mid-Pipe
GTHAUS Muffler

Suspension:

KWV3
Cusco Strut Bar
Stillen Revised Sway Bars

Exterior:

IPL/Aero Front Bumper
IPL/Aero Side Sills
IPL/Aero Rear Bumper
Sport Wing
5K LEDS (Everywhere)
OSRAM CBI 5000K
VLED 5000K LED Fogs

Wheels + Tires:

Vossen VVS-CV7 - Starnight Silver
F: 20x10.5 +15 / R: 20x10.5 +15
Nitto 255/30/20s F&R

Coming Soon.....

FI RHFC
UPREV Tune
Premium Floor Mats

Slammered Inc.

G37 S Getting KW V3 treatment

Danny my installer

Bye Bye Stance GR Coilovers

Long-awaited

Needs some fine tuning and a lower drop

Preparing for install

Danny at Slammered alway's handles my G37 with care

Out with the old, in with the new

Now for the exciting part

14-way adjustable compression damping

KW with State-of-the-art technology that is all TUV tested

Individually adjustable rebound and compression technology

Profesional installer

Going in

Unique, individually working damping force adjustment

Rear installation

No struggle

KW Suspensions

Proper install

Fine tuned

Last edited by Diego@Vossen; 08-13-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Photo-Shoot with new custom Vossen CV7s in Starnight Silver & KW Variant 3 Coilover Suspension

Low, Wide & Deep Concave.

KW Variant 3 Suspension

Custom Vossen VVS-CV7s

Flush fit

20x10.5 +15 - 255/30/20 with KW's allow an amazing ride

Beautiful New Stance

Pure aggression

20x10.5 +15 up front

Starnight Silver Finish

@Vossen

Cusco/Stillen Gen3s

Stillen Gen3s

Interior shots

Meisterschaft GTHAUS welds

The following 2 users liked this post by Diego@Vossen:
blnewt (08-12-2013), twin_snails (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM
NatalieJ327
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow this thread is absolutely beautiful! Love the ride, by far my favorite coupe out there. Keep up the amazing work! Cant wait to see when more is added to this bad boy
Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by NatalieJ327
Wow this thread is absolutely beautiful! Love the ride, by far my favorite coupe out there. Keep up the amazing work! Cant wait to see when more is added to this bad boy
Well said^^ fantastic quality phots of a spectacular G, nice details on the install pics too. What size tires in that setup, looks like serious rollers back there.
The following users liked this post:
NatalieJ327 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
So what is your rebound and compression setting on front and rear?

You said 4 clicks off from full stiff. I'm assuming he just adjusted the rebound?

Last edited by WARAT; 08-12-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:02 AM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would assume so. KW usually does a good job of tuning compression out of the box. Isn't that what they mean by their "We'll tune the high speed, you tune the low speed performance"?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:12 AM
WARAT
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
I would assume so. KW usually does a good job of tuning compression out of the box. Isn't that what they mean by their "We'll tune the high speed, you tune the low speed performance"?
Reason I ask because I've been trying to fine tune the compression and rebound on mine.

Some people may find the setting out of the box comfy but considering how OP is riding low, you still need to tune it to your liking. I'm just curious if he even touched the compression settings since that will affect the handling greatly whereas the rebound is more for "comfort" but of course a balance between the two is just as important.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Diego, your G looks stunning with that drop and the CV7's look amazing. Great install pics and a fantastic review.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:50 PM
1cleanG
NextLevel Performance

Received 210 Likes on 155 Posts
Great writeup bro, some great shots of your car! Can't wait till our cars meet again in May!
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Thanks everyone, I am extremely happy with my choice going with KW. So far only a few hundred miles with them and couldn't be happier. I alway's read fantastic reviews about KW and finally got to share my own personal experience.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:53 AM
delion21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that you don't have any adjustable front camber arms or camber/toe adjustments in the rear. Have you been able to get your alignment back into specs with that low of a drop? My concern is tire wear and tear.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by delion21
I noticed that you don't have any adjustable front camber arms or camber/toe adjustments in the rear. Have you been able to get your alignment back into specs with that low of a drop? My concern is tire wear and tear.
I do not have any camber kit up front, but rear I do have the SPC camber arms and toe bolts. The wear is not bad at all. I am at -2.6 Front and -2.9 rear but toe is what is most important and is all in specs.
teonguyen (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 11:34 AM
teonguyen

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Diego@Vossen
I do not have any camber kit up front, but rear I do have the SPC camber arms and toe bolts. The wear is not bad at all. I am at -2.6 Front and -2.9 rear but toe is what is most important and is all in specs.
I was also surprised that you don't have the front adjustable cambers when saw the pics. Good to hear that your tires wear is not bad though cause I m planning on upgrading from Eibach to coilovers to go a bit lower . You car looks bad*****
Diego@Vossen (09-20-2013)
Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM
click821

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That stance is amazing
Old 10-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Here she is now Big things coming next!

Quick Reply: Review My 2013 G37 Sport Coupe 6MT KW Variant 3 Install Review