Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, satellite radio or aftermarket stereos

Everything you need to know about iPod Video Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:09 AM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Question:

I'm one of the few people in the western world who's never owned an iPod. (I like smaller, flash drive type MP3 players for working out)
My bro, recently got a 2nd gen 16G iTouch and before I do the "\/!d3O h@cI<", I'd like to know for sure if it will show the video on screen. We've tried the older model iPod classic (worked) and a nano (IDK what gen) (didn't work)
Old 12-01-2008, 05:00 AM
itsaGthing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use the 2nd gen itouch with the hack. works like a charm..
Old 12-01-2008, 10:15 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
^ Thanks. I'll add an iTouch to my christmas wishlist, and order the AV cables tonight.

what gen is the latest iTouch in anyways??
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 PM
DJPoop

Just got the car tonight and I tried using my old 30gig ipod video with connector and it worked great!

Now I'm thinking I'd also like to be able to use my iphone 3g to able to use Pandora and AOL Radio, etc. I know the ipod dock in the car wont work with the 3g, but I'd ideally like to be able to both charge the phone and play audio and/or video from the iphone.

I already have a cheap 12v charger that works with the iphone 3g, so that means the bottom dock is used. I also found this one amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-3-5-mm-...8447298&sr=8-1

I figure with this I can send the A/V to the stereo/nav screen, while still charging the 3G, and listen to Pandora, etc.

Anyone know if this will work?
Old 01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
teggie

iPod nano 4th gen charging issue

I just bought a iPod nano 4th gen and the cable that came with my g37 does not charge the iPod. Anyone experience this and hopefully come up with a solution?

Update: Found the answer in another thread.

Last edited by teggie; 01-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 AM
ObsidianGT

Originally Posted by myk1013
^ Thanks. I'll add an iTouch to my christmas wishlist, and order the AV cables tonight.

what gen is the latest iTouch in anyways??
The iPod Touch (not "iTouch") is currently in it's second generation, and like the iPhone 3G and the iPod Nano 4G, it does not support 12V charging (a.k.a. "Firewire charging"), only 5V charging (a.k.a. USB charging).

Originally Posted by DJPoop
I already have a cheap 12v charger that works with the iphone 3g, so that means the bottom dock is used. I also found this one amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Maxell-3-5-mm-...8447298&sr=8-1

I figure with this I can send the A/V to the stereo/nav screen, while still charging the 3G, and listen to Pandora, etc.

Anyone know if this will work?
The charger that you think is 12V and works with your iPhone 3G is either not 12V or you don't have an iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G does not support 12V "Firewire charging", only 5V "USB charging". Additionally, it does not support video through the 3.5MM audio-out port.

The only way to output video from the iPhone 3G (and current-generation iPods, like the iPod Touch 2G) is by the use of the Apple Composite AV Cable, the Apple Component AV Cable, or third-party knock-offs such as from Meritline, or DealExtreme.The limitation is due to Apple requiring an "authentication chip" in the cable to allow video output on their newer devices. Go figure.
Old 04-26-2009, 06:39 PM
beast808

would you know if it would work with the iphone?
thanks
Old 05-06-2009, 12:35 AM
1SiCkG
Banned

can i just use the original cable that came with the g37 nav package or do i need to buy a special cable i have the ipod video?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:59 AM
Sytrash

I have read most if not all the iphone and video cable thread. Got a bit confuse, it sounds like the non apple composite cable solution won't work for iphone, but it works for ipod? If yes, anyone knows why and how to make it work?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:36 AM
FlState

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi guys,
I have a new I phone 3GS.. I bought the red, white and yellow RCA connectors with the bottom port input.. (where the I phone is charged...

So I connect the 3 RCA inputs with the center console rca's. I connected that with the bottom port where it's usually charged by and I press the aux button... Nothing happens, I don't hear the music... Another question if my RCA set up did work, I would be a able to drive and hear music like a regular iPod right? I have the g37s without the premium package... Thanks for your help
Old 08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ObsidianGT
The iPod Touch (not "iTouch") is currently in it's second generation, and like the iPhone 3G and the iPod Nano 4G, it does not support 12V charging (a.k.a. "Firewire charging"), only 5V charging (a.k.a. USB charging).

The charger that you think is 12V and works with your iPhone 3G is either not 12V or you don't have an iPhone 3G. The iPhone 3G does not support 12V "Firewire charging", only 5V "USB charging". Additionally, it does not support video through the 3.5MM audio-out port.

The only way to output video from the iPhone 3G (and current-generation iPods, like the iPod Touch 2G) is by the use of the Apple Composite AV Cable, the Apple Component AV Cable, or third-party knock-offs such as from Meritline, or DealExtreme.The limitation is due to Apple requiring an "authentication chip" in the cable to allow video output on their newer devices. Go figure.
FYI, the Meritline and Dealextreme cables won't work if you have firmware 3.0. Unless there's some new cable out that I don't know about.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:08 PM
DJMatrix1067

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man some of you guys really need to go back and read what the OP said. I have the iPhone 3GS and everything works fine. One thing not discussed is the correct TV Out setting on the iPod.

First and foremost, remember to put the emergency brake ON and leave the car completely stopped. If one of those conditions is not met, you will have no video. Audio on mine works when the car is in motion through the Aux input, however no video until the car has stopped and the emergency brake is on.

Second, if you are seeing black and white video, it may be a cable, but more commonly, your TV Out setting is set to PAL instead of NTSC. This is critical. I made that mistake.

I am using the apple composite AV cable. I also have the scosche adapter for my cars iPod integration cable. No hum when im using video, however, there is a high pitched hum when playing audio off the cars integrated iPod cable. Just an FYI. If you are having trouble Read the original post for detail!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 AM
espimax
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the factory ipod connector also charge the ipod t the same time?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
yes and no. depends on the ipod. if it does not charge scorch (sp some one will help me with that) makes an adapter that will allow it to charge.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
11Bravo

I have the latest generation ipod video, tried connecting them up to the headphone jack and the red white and yellow wires, get a blank black screen with the clock..and the ipod telling me to connect to the auxiliary device. what gives?Do I need the 30prong charger with the 3 cables?

Quick Reply: Everything you need to know about iPod Video Cables