Wheel repair/resurface

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:44 PM
NixonsHead
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheel repair/resurface

Hey all,

I purchased a used 2010 g37x a few weeks back and I am slowly working on issues that it has, next up is the wheels. The previous owner rubbed the **** out of the wheels and they either need to be replaced or refinished. Has anyone had their stock wheels repaired and how did they come out? I know a lot of this will be the quality of the work the shop does, just generally looking to see if getting the wheels repaired will be worth it and look nice, as opposed to saving up and getting new wheels altogether. thanks for your thoughts

-Nix
Old 07-11-2018, 07:42 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
A good repair will strip old paint off wheel fix and curb damage, reprime it in black, repaint whole wheel including the hoop, and clear it. Most shops charge 100-150. You can also get powdercoating for about same cost and you can get same color or pick. The finish will be stronger against chipping.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 PM
takemorepills
Registered Member

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
I had the same issue, bought an AWD coupe and 2 wheels on one side where gouged. If you are a coupe on 18's, these are the wheels I bought on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Reconditioned-18X8-Alloy-Wheel-Sparkle-Silver-Full-Face-Painted-560-73753/401486503259?fits=Model%3AG37&hash=item5d7a75dd5b% 3Ag%3AwK8AAOSwRTVac5YY&_sacat=0&_nkw=g37+wheel+oem +18&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDes c=0
They are perfect, look brand new and matched my 2 original wheels perfectly.
Also, because I couldn't understand how the heck the wheels became gouged in the first place, I assumed it would take a decent curb hit to get past the tire sidewall and damage the wheel face as bad as mine were, so I had the car re-aligned. Sure enough, the toe, front and rear, were way out of spec on one side of my car. Might be a good idea to have the alignment checked.

BTW: I opted to not use a refinishing service, here in the Seattle area it seems VERY difficult to find technical people these days, and the one guy in my area who does wheel refinishing is an angry drunk (according to Yelp and Google reviews) who is inconsistent (although his work is supposedly good, when he gets around to it) and no one else around who does this service. Those eBay wheels were only $150/ea shipped a few months ago. Easier than dealing with having tires dismounted, wheels sent out and waiting for turn-around. What if the work isn't good enough? Gotta start over...f it, I just changed my wheels!