Help Help me on rim sizes, please

Old 06-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Disappear_85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me on rim sizes, please

(Please forgive my English)

Hello,I'm new here

I have g37s 2013 with 19" rims, and because of holes on the road, they made hate the car, I wanted to install smaller rims but the dealership told me that would damage the transmission because it can't be calibrated or programmed.

Any one has more info?
because I've seen smaller rims and bigger rims on other cars, isn't that gonna damage the transmission?

How much smaller is my limit?
I was thinking 17" would be perfect with thicker tyres
18" might be acceptable with thicker tyres.

Any help would be appreciated, I was about to sell it less than half the price cause I got fed up with rims, so I thought I should ask here first.

Thank you all

Last edited by Disappear_85; 06-22-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site. There are plenty of options, the main roadblock is that you have an S model, the larger Akebono calipers make it harder to find smaller wheels that will clear the larger brakes. 18" wheels will work, there are many that will clear the brakes but you have to confirm that w/ the vendor or go to a site like tirerack.com, If you go to tirerack you MUST enter your vehicle info including the Sport package, this will then show you the wheels that will clear those brakes. Here's a list from them that will work~
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...oModClar=Sport
There are also plenty of 18" wheels from Work, SSR, Wedssport, Rays, that can be found from a few vendors around here

You also want to keep your tire diameter close to stock, so your 245/40/19 base size on your coupe should compare to a 245/45/18 as an example, this will insure no compatibility issues. If you find a few wheels you like, post the links to them and can then help w/ exact tire sizing, widths, and offsets it there are multiple options.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:38 AM
Disappear_85

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site. There are plenty of options, the main roadblock is that you have an S model, the larger Akebono calipers make it harder to find smaller wheels that will clear the larger brakes. 18" wheels will work, there are many that will clear the brakes but you have to confirm that w/ the vendor or go to a site like tirerack.com, If you go to tirerack you MUST enter your vehicle info including the Sport package, this will then show you the wheels that will clear those brakes. Here's a list from them that will work~
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...oModClar=Sport
There are also plenty of 18" wheels from Work, SSR, Wedssport, Rays, that can be found from a few vendors around here

You also want to keep your tire diameter close to stock, so your 245/40/19 base size on your coupe should compare to a 245/45/18 as an example, this will insure no compatibility issues. If you find a few wheels you like, post the links to them and can then help w/ exact tire sizing, widths, and offsets it there are multiple options.
Thanks for the info, and it is my bad that I didn't mention that I am from Kuwait.
So looking at sites and rims in the states isn't an option unfortunately.

I was thinking of getting infiniti rims from the dealership or maybe something after market with smaller size, like 18" with 50 profile tyre, or 17" with 55 profile tyre.

But the question still remains, will changing damage my transmission as the dealership claims?

They say the transmission cannot be calibrated for smaller rims

And now I'm wonder about what you said about the break size and rims not fitting.

You think I can go with a thicker profile tyres on the same 19" rims?

Thank you
Old 06-23-2017, 01:53 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Are the Enkei "duckfeet" available there? These are 18" wheels that come on North American G37 sedan sport models and clear the Akebono brakes. 225/50-18 and 245/45-18 tires come standard. Sedan owners quite often swap for coupe 19 wheels with no problems what so ever, so going the other way on your coupe should be problem-free, too.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:08 AM
Disappear_85

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Are the Enkei "duckfeet" available there? These are 18" wheels that come on North American G37 sedan sport models and clear the Akebono brakes. 225/50-18 and 245/45-18 tires come standard. Sedan owners quite often swap for coupe 19 wheels with no problems what so ever, so going the other way on your coupe should be problem-free, too.
Thank you, I dont think the wheels you mentioned are available , I'll ask around, but not opmistic about finding them.

So my hope is fining original infiniti rims or something cheap no name brand rims which I'm not thrilled about.

why would the dealership tell me it would damage my transmission?

I can't understand it
Old 06-23-2017, 08:51 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The dealer is concerned that you might go with drastically different tire sizes is my guess. A tire that's a lot taller or shorter than your original tire diameter may cause problems w/ your ABS braking system, your traction control, and if you have AWD the AWD system can be harmed.

For a RWD you can typically get by w/ a 3% or less diameter change, but it's best to stick to something even closer, like 1%. For AWD you need to be at 1% or less ideally and the front to back tire diameter difference needs to be less than 1%.

For your RWD I'd look at 18x8.5" wheels running 245/45/18 tires, you will have no issues at all with that combo, just need to find wheels that will clear your brakes and have offsets in the +35 range. The offsets can vary quite a bit, this determines how far out or how sunken in the wheel will be, a +35 is a safe setup for either a coupe or sedan.

These templates can be sent to online vendors, they can use them to confirm clearance if they aren't sure.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...templates.html

You might also send a PM to our Administrator G37 Sam, he lives in UAE and might know places for wheels, or DjFarhan, he lives over there too and might be of help.

Search this Thread