Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 vs Primacy MXM4

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 06:13 PM
Wayfun

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S-3 vs Primacy MXM4

I'm about ready for some new tires and have narrowed the search down to a couple of Michelin tires. The Pilot Sport A/S-3 and the Primacy MXM4. I am looking for a smooth ride and tread life. Winter driving is not too important and I won't be doing any track days. Just looking for ride comfort. Anyone have experience with these two tires? Which is best?

Thanks,
Dennis

Last edited by Wayfun; 06-01-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:00 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Totally different tires in my opinion, the PS A/S is a performance all season tire and will be the best bet for you if winter driving isn't an issue (though the tire will work just fine in the winter). The MXM4 is more a comfort tire without the performance.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
Totally different tires in my opinion, the PS A/S is a performance all season tire and will be the best bet for you if winter driving isn't an issue (though the tire will work just fine in the winter). The MXM4 is more a comfort tire without the performance.
So true^^^^
If you really want to compare tires I'd compare the PS A/S w/ the Continental DWS or their newest DWS 06. That MXM4 isn't a poor tire, just not in the same league performance-wise.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
I bought primacy mxm4 and they were ok for regular driving but I have the a/s +3 right now and they are worlds better.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Wayfun

Originally Posted by Vizard_87
I bought primacy mxm4 and they were ok for regular driving but I have the a/s +3 right now and they are worlds better.
By better, do you mean performance or comfort? I really don't need a performance tire. We only use this car for cruising the back country roads with the top down and I'm looking for comfort. Good balance and softer ride. I'm leaning toward the MXM4.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
SomeName
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
At this point, I think the competition has closed the gap with Michelin. They aren't worth the price difference. I just put on 4 kumho ecsta platinum. No winter driving or tracking for me either. Only drive like an A-hole 10% of the time. These are just fine for my needs, smooth and quiet. At half the price of Michelins.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13 PM
Wayfun

Originally Posted by SomeName
At this point, I think the competition has closed the gap with Michelin. They aren't worth the price difference. I just put on 4 kumho ecsta platinum. No winter driving or tracking for me either. Only drive like an A-hole 10% of the time. These are just fine for my needs, smooth and quiet. At half the price of Michelins.
I'm sure you are correct. I saw the Kuhmo's but didn't have any experience with them. At Sam's Club the Kuhmo Solas was about $400 a set cheaper. The problem I found at Sam's club is that they can get the Primacy sizes but can't get the speed ratings to match front and rear. The fronts are available with a W speed rating and the rears are V rated. Sam's said they won't mix speed ratings on the vehicle. When I looked at the Michelin site they recommended a mixed set.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Wayfun
I'm sure you are correct. I saw the Kuhmo's but didn't have any experience with them. At Sam's Club the Kuhmo Solas was about $400 a set cheaper. The problem I found at Sam's club is that they can get the Primacy sizes but can't get the speed ratings to match front and rear. The fronts are available with a W speed rating and the rears are V rated. Sam's said they won't mix speed ratings on the vehicle. When I looked at the Michelin site they recommended a mixed set.
Kumhos are quality tires, especially for the price. I have Kumho Ecsta Le Sport Max Summers and they've exceeded expectations by far.

For the ride that you're wanting, and not one to push the car to it's limits, that Kumho A/S tire should check all the boxes, and expect pretty good tread life too. I would definitely check them out.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM
F2benny

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a set of Pilot AS3+ for my G37X at Costco on sale. I picked up the car and drove it for a few days. Today I noticed that the tires installed are actually MXM4. A more expensive tire but lower performance.

So what do I do? Bust ***** and get the cheaper tire installed? Keep these?
Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by F2benny
I bought a set of Pilot AS3+ for my G37X at Costco on sale. I picked up the car and drove it for a few days. Today I noticed that the tires installed are actually MXM4. A more expensive tire but lower performance.

So what do I do? Bust ***** and get the cheaper tire installed? Keep these?
Costco is good about correcting screw-ups, I'd go back and get the tires that you wanted, and FWIW I'd want those A/S 3+ for sure.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:42 PM
ezbme
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I found a set of 235/45/18 MXM4 Tires for less than $100 each. They are pretty much new (100 Miles on them). I am thinking they will fit all the way around. Of course I would rather have the PS4 or AS3+, but if I can get these installed for $400

I hate my Hankook Ventus S1, the fronts are getting down there and the rears probably have 65%, but gutless in the rain.

What do you guys think?
Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by ezbme
I found a set of 235/45/18 MXM4 Tires for less than $100 each. They are pretty much new (100 Miles on them). I am thinking they will fit all the way around. Of course I would rather have the PS4 or AS3+, but if I can get these installed for $400

I hate my Hankook Ventus S1, the fronts are getting down there and the rears probably have 65%, but gutless in the rain.

What do you guys think?
Good deal if you don't mind the compromise of All Season tires. Being in So Cal you should be able to run Summers year round unless you take road trips to freezing/snowy areas.
Old 10-29-2017, 12:28 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

I already have all season tires. I seem to find much more all season tires. I would love to find a nice set of PS4s. Rain is coming and I am worried. It rains so seldom, that it gets really slick out there. I expect to get new tires this year. As for A/S3+ they are probably the best non-snow all seasons out there. The grip is very close to the PSS.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Just sayin', if you don't see snow or freezing temps I'd go Summers, these are a pretty nice tire, and should do really well in the rain & dry grip for the price.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes
Old 10-29-2017, 06:11 AM
ezbme
Registered Member

I have had those before and they are good. Wish they had as much grip as the AS3+. I am actually looking at some Falken FK453, They should be similar to the HTRIII, they are made by the same parent. The tire place is like 35 miles away, but the tires will be about 120 installed. They are summer tread. Hopefully they have some in stock