Seeking input on tires for an X sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Seeking input on tires for an X sedan

I'm currently on Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTZs which were on the car when i bought it and while they are decent, they don't really excel at anything. They are also down to 3-4/32 so they are getting replaced either in the spring or the first time we get snow and a can't keep it from going sideways.

The standouts as far as all-season tires go seem to be the Conti DWS06 and the BFG Comp 2as. I'm going back and forth between these 2 but am open to all options. I like a performance tire on the backroads, but i do a LOT of highway driving (800 miles in a week is not uncommon) and the roads in PA and NJ aren't great. The BFGs win on price as I can get 4 installed at Costco for about $500, but I'm worried about three things: treadwear, noise and ride quality. Am I going to be replacing them once a year? Will the road noise drive me insane on a 200 mile trip? Will the ride quality result in visits to the chiropractor? the DWS06 seems to have a softer sidewall and sacrifices a bit of performance for road manners, but i dont know how much.

I'd love to get everyones input, especially if you are riding on standard 225/55r17 tires. Likewise, if you have an opinion on something I haven't considered, let me know.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM
JonMS

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Have the DWS06 for a year and a half now. I live in Chester County, PA so lots of twistys out here. Handling is superb but it looks like I'll be needing new tires by the end of spring.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:40 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Have you looked at toyo proxes
Old 07-28-2017, 11:06 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Old thread. Went with the General G-max AS-05. Nice improvement, especially in ride and noise. Hrip is very good, especially when wet. Quite a bargiain as well. After rebate the set of 4 was only $300