Wheels & Tires Reviews on wheels & tires for G vehicles.

Review Michelin X-Ice3

Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Michelin X-Ice3

Back in September, I bought 4 Michelin X-Ice3 (245/40-19 all around) off a forum member and the freezing conditions prompted me to stop procrastinating. They're currently installed on my stock sport wheels and it feels amazing to drive down the road now. My summer setup is BF Goodrich GForce Comp 2 A/S (245F/275R) on IPL's and my confidence started shrinking as the temperature dips near freezing, even with the wider rears...not to mention that I didn't want road salt to ruin the powder coating. With these X-Ice3's, I have no doubts whatsoever that I have a fighting chance against freezing and slippery conditions.

Granted, I've only been on these for a day now, but it feels like I'm riding on couch cushions versus the bricks that were my all seasons. Unsurprisingly, these tires rated #1 in comfort in its class on TireRack. The softer compound definitely helps with every performance aspect. Road noise is comparably minimal since my ears are accustomed to the louder BFG's. Acceleration/deceleration (same thing for the science nerds ) is much more manageable and slipping is not a concern during hard braking. Cornering ability is outstanding, albeit the car is still subject to the laws of physics. I was making a turn around a jug handle in wet conditions (33 degrees Farenheit) at 40mph and the rubber refused to give up.

Judging from initial impressions, I would give these tires a 4.5/5. Of course, this is subject to change based upon how many times this setup saves my butt from mishaps this season.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:57 PM
LateApex

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I've got the same winter tires, though on OEM 18s. My summer setup is *almost* the same, BFG g Force COMP 2, but not A/S.

I agree... night and day. The snows are so soft, quiet, cushy compared to the other set.

I'm AWD so it's probably a bit of overkill but I like the ability to get up my driveway if I didn't plow and avoid ditching the car on our road. We had the first accident of the "season" last Thursday night. Somebody rolled it about 200' past our house. Hit a small patch of ice from runoff, climbed the embankment, over it went... I don't want to be that guy. The extra grip is worth the couple hundred bucks I paid for the set, very slightly used.

They do excellent in the snow though... I jumped on it coming up the driveway and even though the car was moving power all around, looking for grip, I still had to get on the brakes for the bend at the top, or use the yard as a runoff area.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Update: These tires have just saved my life.

I was driving back to work from lunch at the speed limit (40mph). As I neared the intersection (no lights or stop sign on my street), an old lady in a Buick Lacrosse on the perpendicular street decided to run the stop sign at the intersection, also at 40mph. I slammed on the brakes and just missed her rear bumper by inches. Got out of the car and screamed at her, pointing at the 2 clearly visible stop signs. All I got out of her was "I didn't see anything, I'm sorry" and a shake from her head. Had I procrastinated with my winter setup, I would have drove straight into the side of her car.

Moral of the story? I'm getting a dash cam for Christmas. Thank you Michelin, for making quality winter tires. Also, credits to StopTech for extremely bitey brake pads. I will never complain about brake dust ever again.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:55 PM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
Update: These tires have just saved my life.

I was driving back to work from lunch at the speed limit (40mph). As I neared the intersection (no lights or stop sign on my street), an old lady in a Buick Lacrosse on the perpendicular street decided to run the stop sign at the intersection, also at 40mph. I slammed on the brakes and just missed her rear bumper by inches. Got out of the car and screamed at her, pointing at the 2 clearly visible stop signs. All I got out of her was "I didn't see anything, I'm sorry" and a shake from her head. Had I procrastinated with my winter setup, I would have drove straight into the side of her car.

Moral of the story? I'm getting a dash cam for Christmas. Thank you Michelin, for making quality winter tires. Also, credits to StopTech for extremely bitey brake pads. I will never complain about brake dust ever again.

I'm glad you weren't hurt. That situation could have been very bad. I, too, am thinking about getting a dash cam. Where I live is good, but I have to commute into the city every day. And once I reach a certain point in my commute, it's like open season for a**holes.
The following users liked this post:
kickintheglass (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 03:59 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Never cheap out on tires/brakes. They'll dividends in avoiding a crash.
The following users liked this post:
kickintheglass (12-15-2016)
Old 12-15-2016, 04:23 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Originally Posted by j50ny
Where I live is good, but I have to commute into the city every day. And once I reach a certain point in my commute, it's like open season for a**holes.
Dude I live in one of the nicer neighborhoods in NJ but it only takes one moron to wreck your car! And the worst thing is...she would've probably tried to lie about it to reduce her liability.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Never cheap out on tires/brakes. They'll dividends in avoiding a crash.
Amen brother. Tires/brakes are proactive, and a dashcam is retroactive.

Search this Thread