How to buy rims? I don't know anything about specs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Melophile

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
How to buy rims? I don't know anything about specs.

So I'm new to this car modding world and have zero clue what anything means. I just bought a 2013 G37 Journey sedan.

How do I pick out rims for it? The only spec I know about is rim size, and that's it. I see everyone else talking about offsets and all this other wheel terminology.

Can anyone take the time to explain in detail all this wheel talk to me please?

I've been looking at the Vossen VFS-6, and those might be the wheels I get. My goal is to have the front wheels flush with the fender and have the rear wheels stick out a little. And I also plan on lowering the car after I get wheels for it. Just trying to do one thing at a time for now.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Hey Melo, welcome to the site. There's several things to consider~
Are you going to lower your suspension? If so then 20s look good, If not, then stick w/ 18s or 19s.

Do you want to run staggered (wider wheels/tires in back) or square (all the same)?

I would shoot for having a flush fitment rather than any poking, this may cause rubbing issues and having a nice flush setup looks very good.

So with some more specifics I (or others) can help get you the fit you want.
Brad
Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 PM
Melophile

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hey Melo, welcome to the site. There's several things to consider~
Are you going to lower your suspension? If so then 20s look good, If not, then stick w/ 18s or 19s.

Do you want to run staggered (wider wheels/tires in back) or square (all the same)?

I would shoot for having a flush fitment rather than any poking, this may cause rubbing issues and having a nice flush setup looks very good.

So with some more specifics I (or others) can help get you the fit you want.
Brad
I plan on lowering, but not too much though. I don't want to be the car that has to go over speed bumps at an angle at 1mph.

I can only save for one thing at a time, so I thought about getting wheels first, then coilovers after. Not sure what I should do first.

I like the staggered look, but if it causes too many issues, I have no problem going flush all the way around.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Since you have the RWD sedan the Tein Basis Z coilovers are a great option, these are meant to be a mild drop coilover and they just went w/ a non-serviceable shock body so they really brought the price down, they are going for around $470 shipped give or take.

There's a few wheels that look similar to the Vossens that cost quite a bit less and that might free up some cash for the suspension.

Here's a staggered set of Avante Garde, a 20x9+30 front 20x10 +40 rear
Avant Garde M310 Hyper Silver 20x9 20x10 Staggered Wheels
Another AG in 20x8.5 +35 20x10 +43
Avant Garde M510 Matte Silver 20x8.5 20x10 Staggered Wheels

Eurotek 19x8.5 +35 19x9.5 +40
Eurotek 02 Hypersilver 19x8.5 19x9.5 Staggered Wheels

Miros in the same sizes as above
Miro 112 All Gloss Silver 19x8.5 19x9.5 Staggered Wheels

Niche in 20x8.5 +35 20x10 +40
Niche Targa Silver/Machined M131 20x8.5 20x10 Staggered Wheels

TSWs (flow formed like the Vossens) also in black and machined silver
in a 20x8.5 +40 and 20x10 +40
TSW Nurburgring Matte Bronze (Rotary Forged) 20x8.5 20x10 Staggered Wheels

Most of those combos you can run a 245/40 & 275/35 for 19" wheels and a 245/35 275/30 for 20s and even a 285/30 in back for some of the offsets.

Most of those wheels should be available at www.getyourwheels.com ask for Jason and mention myg37.com for nice deals, he takes good care of us here.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:58 PM
Melophile

Thanks for the list of wheels. Would you mind explaining the wheel width and offsets to me? How do you know what width/offset to go with? Is it based on experience or common sense?

Same question about tire size as well.

Last edited by Melophile; 07-21-2016 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
tirerack.com has all that info
Old 07-22-2016, 12:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
tirerack.com has all that info
The info on tirerack is excellent if you want to maintain OEM fitment. If you want something more aggressive like staggered setups and flush fit you'd have to ask one of their sales staff, the site will only list fitment w/ OEM offsets.
At least that's the way it was last time I was browsing for sets.

Melo, the sizes I listed are for fitment that would be more flush to the fender, w/ some room to keep from rubbing at standard spec camber w/ a mild to mid drop (from 1.25 to 2").

Here's a good thread to look at and see what type fitment you want, the offsets & widths I listed in those wheels in my previous reply will probably be about an average fit as some in this link have some poke, most flush, and some sunken in a bit, but when you see all these setups and compare the offsets, wheel widths and tire sizes you can see much better what you really want. And we can take it from there
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...fat-tires.html
Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 AM
Melophile

The info on tirerack is excellent if you want to maintain OEM fitment. If you want something more aggressive like staggered setups and flush fit you'd have to ask one of their sales staff, the site will only list fitment w/ OEM offsets.
At least that's the way it was last time I was browsing for sets.

Melo, the sizes I listed are for fitment that would be more flush to the fender, w/ some room to keep from rubbing at standard spec camber w/ a mild to mid drop (from 1.25 to 2").

Here's a good thread to look at and see what type fitment you want, the offsets & widths I listed in those wheels in my previous reply will probably be about an average fit as some in this link have some poke, most flush, and some sunken in a bit, but when you see all these setups and compare the offsets, wheel widths and tire sizes you can see much better what you really want. And we can take it from there
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...fat-tires.html
After looking through that thread you linked for some inspiration, I'm thinking about adding some negative camber now.

I'm liking the fitment on the rear tires of this G37:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3932955

I'm 100% positive I want the front to sit flush with the fender though.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:42 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Do your research on wheel production and quality before making a purchase...most cast/FF companies are not up to spec on wheel standards hence the lower price.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Melophile
After looking through that thread you linked for some inspiration, I'm thinking about adding some negative camber now.

I'm liking the fitment on the rear tires of this G37:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post3932955

I'm 100% positive I want the front to sit flush with the fender though.
That one from Vinceva is a nice fit, you should be able to get a fit like that without running much camber as long as you get the offsets and tire width correct, and you will need at least a mid drop for that look, like a zero-gap.
Zero gap on OEM diameter tires would be about 26.25" to the upper fender arcs, that's about a 1.75 to 2" drop, and those Tein coilovers I mentioned will do that.

What you will need to do is find a few wheels that you like, then narrow it down to which ones come in the offsets to get you that fitment.

Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Do your research on wheel production and quality before making a purchase...most cast/FF companies are not up to spec on wheel standards hence the lower price.
Most of the name brand wheels will have to meet safety criteria, the knockoff wheel companies I would be careful with.
If you look at this thread and can find some wheels that VenomGT9 has been finding that would be a good plan. The wheels he's searched out are typically much more expensive wheels that are lighter & stronger than the cheaper cast wheels. Check the last few pages here and see what he's found. Wheels from Work, Volk, Rays, Weds, SSR, Enkei are some of the higher quality wheels he's been finding for up to 75% off what they'd be new.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ation-etc.html
Old 07-22-2016, 12:00 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

The info on tirerack is excellent if you want to maintain OEM fitment.
The OP apparently knows zip about wheels and specs, the tirerack site explains that stuff nicely. Can't make an informed decision if you're not informed.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:58 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

The OP apparently knows zip about wheels and specs, the tirerack site explains that stuff nicely. Can't make an informed decision if you're not informed.
True, they do a nice job of explaining the fitment process. This page is pretty good too~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-...info-here.html
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I like this site because picture! The graphical demonstration does it for me.
The following users liked this post:
Whitevanman (07-24-2016)
Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I like this site because picture! The graphical demonstration does it for me.
Thanks for posting that Bruce, I had that bookmarked, or so I thought, and it is a good way to see what you're set will look like much better than just a bunch of #s.
It's bookmarked and moved to my upper range of saved sites
Old 07-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Melophile

That one from Vinceva is a nice fit, you should be able to get a fit like that without running much camber as long as you get the offsets and tire width correct, and you will need at least a mid drop for that look, like a zero-gap.
Zero gap on OEM diameter tires would be about 26.25" to the upper fender arcs, that's about a 1.75 to 2" drop, and those Tein coilovers I mentioned will do that.

What you will need to do is find a few wheels that you like, then narrow it down to which ones come in the offsets to get you that fitment.

Most of the name brand wheels will have to meet safety criteria, the knockoff wheel companies I would be careful with.
If you look at this thread and can find some wheels that VenomGT9 has been finding that would be a good plan. The wheels he's searched out are typically much more expensive wheels that are lighter & stronger than the cheaper cast wheels. Check the last few pages here and see what he's found. Wheels from Work, Volk, Rays, Weds, SSR, Enkei are some of the higher quality wheels he's been finding for up to 75% off what they'd be new.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ation-etc.html

The Enkei Raijin wheels have caught my eyes.

The 19x8.5 wheels come in +35 and +50 offsets.
The 19x9.5 wheels come in +15 and +35 offsets.

EDIT: Here's another pic that shows the type of fitment/poke I'd like to go for:

Last edited by Melophile; 07-24-2016 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: How to buy rims? I don't know anything about specs.