Help Quietest tire? Road noise from tires (according to dealer)

Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM
sideburns2009

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Could be some sort of resonance from the drive line. My old camaro would develop a cyclic hum at speeds over 60 mph. Was worse around 70. I replaced the steel drive shaft with an aluminum unit. The hum was still there but now began around 70 and was worse around 90. It was an acceptable compromise as I generally drive at 60-80 and rarely over 90.
That's exactly what I liken the sound to. The Q40 loaner I had did not make this noise. I just want it to stop. Over 70, the car is silent. It starts smoothly and gradually getting louder with about 62MPH being the loudest then it begins fading off gradually and smoothly. At around 67-68MPH it disappears.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:12 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
The issue results from an imbalanced drive shaft. With the camaro, it was cheaper to just replace it than find a specialized shop to attempt to rebalance the existing one.

The hum was very pronounced and felt in the seat and throttle pedal. It wasn't a consistent hum, even at consistent speed but rather one that built up, then declined (sine wave?).

If the car is under warranty, keep pressing the issue. Go with the tech/service manager on a test drive to point out the issue. 62 Mph is not speeding so they can't use that as an excuse.

Have them swap wheels with supposed quiet tires from a q40/50 to your car, drive it, does it still make noise?
Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM
sideburns2009

The issue results from an imbalanced drive shaft. With the camaro, it was cheaper to just replace it than find a specialized shop to attempt to rebalance the existing one.

The hum was very pronounced and felt in the seat and throttle pedal. It wasn't a consistent hum, even at consistent speed but rather one that built up, then declined (sine wave?).

If the car is under warranty, keep pressing the issue. Go with the tech/service manager on a test drive to point out the issue. 62 Mph is not speeding so they can't use that as an excuse.

Have them swap wheels with supposed quiet tires from a q40/50 to your car, drive it, does it still make noise?
Thanks for that advice. I'll have to do it. The service advisor told me last minute that they confirmed by swapping my tires to another car that the noise followed it. That however was not on my write up.

This noise has followed three sets of tires. Either it's my rims (which the balancing at the tire shops would have shown excessive run out, etc) or its my car.

I'll have to schedule a visit with Infiniti.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:06 AM
sideburns2009

Spoke with the service manager and explained the situation. He promised to take care of the noise. He was going to assign someone to it, let it roll with the wheels off the ground, etc. I mentioned a possible imbalanced driveshaft (or 2 in my case). I'll be dropping my car off and picking up a loaner on the 26th.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:08 AM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by VIVID
I'm glad those new tires are smooth and quiet. Maybe the dealer can get real and solve the issue because that's BS.

I was surprised to hear your original Conti's were noisy. I know they're not the same tire, but I have the ExtremeContact DWS 06's, and they've been great all around. Even the tread looks less aggressive. I'd post a pic but I'm having some issues in that dept. lately.

Sean
Forgot to reply to this. I don't think my Contis were noisy, in fact I know they weren't. The Pirellis just seem to absorb road impacts better. Probably a softer tire. The OEM Eagle RS-As, however, were terrible tires and noisy as well.
The following users liked this post:
VIVID (01-20-2016)
Old 01-27-2016, 03:39 PM
sideburns2009

Dropped my car off yesterday morning at the dealer. I got a 2015 Q50S with Infiniti Sport Muffler kit as a loaner. Finally a 4 door that sounds just like the coupe! There's a good bit of drone though.

Anywho, I got a call this morning from the service writer telling me the technician couldn't hear the noise. (He also quoted me as saying a high pitch whine when that's not what I said AT ALL).

I went up there and rode while the shop foreman drove. As soon as it hit about 60, before I could get the words out, he said I hear and feel the noise. I almost hugged him :lol:

He said since its AWD, it's likely the front driveshaft u-joints binding, as he's seen this before. He said they were going to replace the driveshaft with a new one and see if it stops. He said if the noise is still there, he will continue his search.

Just an update so far.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:31 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Maybe you should have sPeLleD It oUt In CRaYoN for them.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by m3clubracer
Maybe you should have sPeLleD It oUt In CRaYoN for them.
Ha! Maybe so. The foreman said it usually gets lost in transition. I told the writer 3 times when he read it back to me that it is NOT whining. 4 if you count when he called and said they couldn't find the whine. It's a droning noise. Lol thank god the foreman had ears.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:02 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
It usually helps to speak directly to tech for weird issues like this. The few times I've been to the dealer i've always requested this. Never been an issue (at fields in glencoe, il).
Old 01-27-2016, 11:51 PM
sideburns2009

It usually helps to speak directly to tech for weird issues like this. The few times I've been to the dealer i've always requested this. Never been an issue (at fields in glencoe, il).
This is Infiniti of Memphis (TN). It didn't help that the writer wrote up the complaint wrong lol. I'll be requesting the shop foreman from now on. He really knew his stuff.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 PM
sideburns2009

Front driveshaft was replaced. Much smoother and quieter now.

And these Pirellis really are some QUIET tires, as well. The Q50S was like driving with rocks as wheels. After driving it though, I will be getting the paddle shifter kit for my G37.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
OK, glad you've got your issue resolved and can enjoy your G again, too bad you had to go through a couple tire swaps along the way.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:51 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by blnewt
OK, glad you've got your issue resolved and can enjoy your G again, too bad you had to go through a couple tire swaps along the way.
Thanks.
I'm not too upset about it now that I've been able to compare the Pirellis to the Continentals. I'll be going with these Pirellis in the future. They're much more refined in ride quality.

Got to joy ride a Q50S in the process, so all is well that ends well.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:58 PM
sideburns2009

Originally Posted by blnewt
So the noise returned...or my ears popped after a round of decongestants (for sinus issues) the week I got my car back. I honestly thought the noise was gone but didn't put the two together that I had a sinus infection and my ears were plugged up. When they popped, I immediately heard the noise, still there. The vibration from 70-75 is definitely there. They've had my car since Tuesday and are keeping it over the weekend. The shop foreman is hard on it, personally looking for the cause.

This time I got a 2015 Infiniti QX60 loaner (American built and CVT )
Old 06-06-2016, 04:20 PM
marshalh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you ever get the problem resolved? I have the same issue with my '12 G37X coupe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Quietest tire? Road noise from tires (according to dealer)