Help Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:50 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?

Does anyone have experience with getting curb rash re-finished on their Vossen stainless steel lip? Is it possible or worth it?

I contacted 4 wheel shops and only one came back confident that they could fix it for $150-$175, the others need to check how much metal there is to work with and if the lip is hollow or not.
Attached Thumbnails Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_7766.jpg   Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_7768.jpg   Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_7769.jpg   Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_7771.jpg   Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_7772.jpg  

Old 09-13-2015, 10:16 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
That's fixable. It's a slow, arduous, process..considering it's stainless steel. There's specific stainless steel polishing and sealing compounds the can buff/protect back to a like new polish after using some high grit garnet based sand paper.

I've done the process during the winter (off season) with my cv1's twice now. Feel free to message me if any interest in attempting it yourself. Plenty of info about polishing stainless steel lips out on the internet, key is to use the right (green colored) jewelers final polish specific for SS.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:49 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'm terrible at DIYs so I will probably leave this one for the pros. How many hours do you think a pro would take to do repair this damage and what's a fair quote?

Originally Posted by krazyfiend
That's fixable. It's a slow, arduous, process..considering it's stainless steel. There's specific stainless steel polishing and sealing compounds the can buff/protect back to a like new polish after using some high grit garnet based sand paper.

I've done the process during the winter (off season) with my cv1's twice now. Feel free to message me if any interest in attempting it yourself. Plenty of info about polishing stainless steel lips out on the internet, key is to use the right (green colored) jewelers final polish specific for SS.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:50 PM
VossenG37S

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This ^^^
Old 09-14-2015, 01:51 PM
krazyfiend
Registered Member

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
I'd guess that would take me 3-4 hours to get to my own standards. Mind you, using my non-professional garage setup, air / rotary tool w the SS buffing attachments and water/all in on cleaner while sanding before I even get to the polishing step.

It really depends on the depth of the rash(s).

I think $150 is very fair, knowing how slowwww working with stainless steel can go. Key thing to remember is, if they're not used to working with stainless and if it's buffed out, looks great...but not buffed with the proper final polish (green jewlers / rouge compound)...then you're left with unprotected steel (that will start corroding / deteriorating simply being exposed to air). The polishing compound has chemical components that inhibits the protection of the underlying, newly exposed, fresh steel--

Amazon.com: Woodstock D2902 1-Pound Extra Fine Buffing Compound, Green: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Woodstock D2902 1-Pound Extra Fine Buffing Compound, Green: Home Improvement
Old 09-14-2015, 09:40 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Thanks for all the details, I now have a better idea of the process and potential dangers if an inexperienced person works on it

Will update this thread if I decide to get it fixed next week.

I'd guess that would take me 3-4 hours to get to my own standards. Mind you, using my non-professional garage setup, air / rotary tool w the SS buffing attachments and water/all in on cleaner while sanding before I even get to the polishing step.

It really depends on the depth of the rash(s).

I think $150 is very fair, knowing how slowwww working with stainless steel can go. Key thing to remember is, if they're not used to working with stainless and if it's buffed out, looks great...but not buffed with the proper final polish (green jewlers / rouge compound)...then you're left with unprotected steel (that will start corroding / deteriorating simply being exposed to air). The polishing compound has chemical components that inhibits the protection of the underlying, newly exposed, fresh steel--

Amazon.com: Woodstock D2902 1-Pound Extra Fine Buffing Compound, Green: Home Improvement
Old 09-14-2015, 11:32 PM
GFTW
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you think if mine is fixable? I've contacted several local wheel repair shops but none of them was able to fix it. I've already order a replacement but still want to know. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_4041-1.jpg   Vossen CV1 Stainless Steel Lip Rash Repair?-img_4042-2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2015, 12:11 AM
kkokko
Registered Member

Yikes.. how did that happen? I don't see any curb rash signs..

Originally Posted by GFTW
Do you think if mine is fixable? I've contacted several local wheel repair shops but none of them was able to fix it. I've already order a replacement but still want to know. Thank you.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:13 PM
gyoung

Helppp

i need help fixing my rashed vossens too please!