Steering wheel shaking 40+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:01 PM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Steering wheel shaking 40+ MPH

Hey guys, I have had this issue for some time. (even when I had my vossen wheels which I thought were badly balanced)

Currently running OEM 19 Wheels with new DWS tires 245/275 size. All wheels/tires were balanced using RoadForce balancer but the issue persists.

The steering wheel shakes side to side starting at 40mph and gets worse 65+. The shaking is random, it doesnt always happen but usually 70% of the time, and there is never the same amount of shake, just random.

The wheels arent bent, as they were tested with a roadforce machine, its able to test runout.

My DBA rotors are a bit warped as I get a steering wheel shake at hard breaking. I thought it could be the rotors pulsating the pads while driving since the steering shake is never the same and at random.

What could it be? My next step is to go to the dealer and have them figure it out. I am just afraid they will try to balance my wheels again and waste my time. I heard it could be the steering rack, drive shaft, wheel bearings.

Thoughts?
Old 07-05-2015, 10:18 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, its good news, bad news. A vibration from side to side is generally the rotors. Go to a good brake shop and have them inspect the brakes. From my experience, the dealer is substantially more expensive than a good brake shop.

Vibration at the steering wheel comes in two forms: side to side is generally brake related, vibration up and down is generally suspension related (specifically, the shocks).

After inspecting all four brakes, if the brake shop only replaces only the front rotors and you continue to feel a braking vibration in your seat, the rear rotors will also need to be replaced. Keep in mind that all top quality shops will replace the pads when the rotors need to be replaced. You cannot put used pads on new rotors, the surfaces will not match.

BTW, insist on OEM or better rotors. The wheel hub will rust on poor quality rotors. Not only is that ugly, but it shows that the shop will take short cuts, don't trust a shop that takes short cuts.
The following users liked this post:
Mirakle (07-07-2015)
Old 07-07-2015, 01:24 PM
Mirakle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chairman25
Well, its good news, bad news. A vibration from side to side is generally the rotors. Go to a good brake shop and have them inspect the brakes. From my experience, the dealer is substantially more expensive than a good brake shop.

Vibration at the steering wheel comes in two forms: side to side is generally brake related, vibration up and down is generally suspension related (specifically, the shocks).

After inspecting all four brakes, if the brake shop only replaces only the front rotors and you continue to feel a braking vibration in your seat, the rear rotors will also need to be replaced. Keep in mind that all top quality shops will replace the pads when the rotors need to be replaced. You cannot put used pads on new rotors, the surfaces will not match.

BTW, insist on OEM or better rotors. The wheel hub will rust on poor quality rotors. Not only is that ugly, but it shows that the shop will take short cuts, don't trust a shop that takes short cuts.

This, my friend. Helped me alot personally and hopefully it helped the OP. Thanks again.
Old 07-11-2015, 09:32 PM
iGGy37S

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I appreciate the input.

I changed the front rotors and pads today and the issue persists. No change other than much smoother braking which is a plus.

The steering wheel side to side motion starts at 40mph and continues upward, a variable vibration/side to side shaking. Sometimes its very noticeable and sometimes not to much.

What should I do next? I am starting to think it could be the drive shaft or steering rack. Wheel bearings didnt make a single sound when I took the rotors off and werent wobbly so thats not it.

Would appreciate more input so I have solid info on what to tell the dealer. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:59 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by iGGy37S
Hey guys, I have had this issue for some time. (even when I had my vossen wheels which I thought were badly balanced)

Currently running OEM 19 Wheels with new DWS tires 245/275 size. All wheels/tires were balanced using RoadForce balancer but the issue persists.

The steering wheel shakes side to side starting at 40mph and gets worse 65+. The shaking is random, it doesnt always happen but usually 70% of the time, and there is never the same amount of shake, just random.

The wheels arent bent, as they were tested with a roadforce machine, its able to test runout.

My DBA rotors are a bit warped as I get a steering wheel shake at hard breaking. I thought it could be the rotors pulsating the pads while driving since the steering shake is never the same and at random.

What could it be? My next step is to go to the dealer and have them figure it out. I am just afraid they will try to balance my wheels again and waste my time. I heard it could be the steering rack, drive shaft, wheel bearings.

Thoughts?
Turn or replace the rotors! Had this a exact same problem and went crazy for a couple of weeks searching for the cause (rebalanced, checked steering components), I had vibration while braking but didn't think that was actually the cause since it has never happened to me with another car. Anyways, turned the rotors and the problem went aways, thinking about upgrading later with two piece rotors.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:23 PM
User 122320
Registered Member

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts
cracked motor mounts maybe? or something broke due to you waiting to long to fix the brake vibration issues?