Michelin Pilot Sport as3 Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 11:04 PM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport as3 Update

Well since i haven't seen any recent posts on this tire and i have approx. 22K miles on my set of 255 35 zr's... As promised grip was and still is excellent in the dry and (last winter) average for an all season/superior for ultra high performance tire. Only one scary moment in the winter but that was my fault at 65 in snow... BUT wear has been less then expected even for a high performance tire. Shoulder wear was pronounced even with alignments and rotation. One tire makes a wap wap sound due to edge wear but has (or had) a fair amount of tread in the middle. It was rotated to the rear about 2 months ago. Ride is also very rough now that they have worn some. I expected to get at least 2 years out of these tires, but i may have to get some before the winter. for the record i live in buffalo, ny and have never owned a set of snow tires, and like to drive spirited a couple times a week. Otherwise normal driving espec. in the winter, and wife drives also. I would love to hear Any other experiences with 15k or more miles. thanks!
Old 11-06-2014, 12:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by photopro
Well since i haven't seen any recent posts on this tire and i have approx. 22K miles on my set of 255 35 zr's... As promised grip was and still is excellent in the dry and (last winter) average for an all season/superior for ultra high performance tire. Only one scary moment in the winter but that was my fault at 65 in snow... BUT wear has been less then expected even for a high performance tire. Shoulder wear was pronounced even with alignments and rotation. One tire makes a wap wap sound due to edge wear but has (or had) a fair amount of tread in the middle. It was rotated to the rear about 2 months ago. Ride is also very rough now that they have worn some. I expected to get at least 2 years out of these tires, but i may have to get some before the winter. for the record i live in buffalo, ny and have never owned a set of snow tires, and like to drive spirited a couple times a week. Otherwise normal driving espec. in the winter, and wife drives also. I would love to hear Any other experiences with 15k or more miles. thanks!
Are you on stock suspension or dropped? If dropped, alignment specs?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:09 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I really like the set I have on my car.
Old 11-08-2014, 02:25 AM
photopro
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blnewt
Are you on stock suspension or dropped? If dropped, alignment specs?
stock suspension; Neal from Tire Rack NO tire should only last one year except racing tires. For street tires there is no excuse for tires wearing that fast and riding like there's pebbles in the wheels. I am sure you are familiar with the class action lawsuit brought against a tire manufacturer in 07-08 for premature tire wear on new Dodge and other vehicles. I don't remember which manufacturer it was but i was a recipient of money back in that lawsuit. I am considering investigating (along with legal counsel) the complaints against Michelin on this model and other models that exhibit premature tire wear.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 PM
gsm026
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Are any of you driving 6MTs? If so what kind of mileage are you getting from the rear tires? I'm looking at replacing my A/S Plus (forerunner to the A/S 3) on the rear with less than 10K miles. I don't do burnouts or anything else to intentionally abuse the tires, but I do sometimes see the traction control light flash as I'm trying to turn left from our work parking lot.

Greg