Disadvantages of 10.5 square setup?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:54 PM
Mulatto

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Disadvantages of 10.5 square setup?

So what would the disadvantages be of running a 10.5" square setup? I understand the difference in looks, but what about rubbing? Added weight? Steering ability/feeling? etc?

At what point do we pass the point of diminishing returns on performance with these wider wheels/tires that are so popular (with my myself included)?
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 PM
san~man

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Conversely, ask yourself what would be the ADvantage with a 10.5 in the front?

You can't say looks, because you wouldn't even know it without laying on the ground to see the wider tire from the front view.

You can't say handling, because I doubt the car gains anything from that wide a wheel in the front. For example, an Aventador only uses a 9" wide front wheel, 255 tire. A P1 only uses a 245 on the front. Not to mention the increase in rolling friction going to that large a wheel.

You can probably avoid rubbing by camber and a stretched tire, but then what's the point of using a wider wheel if one plans on stretching the tire in the first place?

You will of course gain weight, that's a given.

In the end, I think the only thing you gain is the ability to say "I got a 10.5" wheel in the front, YO" j/k
The following users liked this post:
G37Sam (04-27-2014)
Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM
Mulatto

Sandman you are hitting a lot of the points I was considering and that made me ask the question. Although I am considering a 10.5 front wheel based on looks alone of some of the square setup cars I've seen on here, I have wondered if I can get the same look (concavity) with a narrower wheel and different offsets?

It seems I would run into less issues with rubbing and of course less unsprung rotating mass if i can get a 9" wheel. BUT, I don't race my car and i really like the look of the square setups I've seen. I'm new to all of this so I'm trying to expand my understanding here of the options.

I do wonder, from a weekend warrior type spirited drive, how much does a 10.5" front wheel affect performance? Is steering slower? Slower acceleration/longer stopping distance? Or is it even noticeable from the drivers seat?

Originally Posted by san~man

You can't say looks, because you wouldn't even know it without laying on the ground to see the wider tire from the front view.

You can't say handling, because I doubt the car gains anything from that wide a wheel in the front. For example, an Aventador only uses a 9" wide front wheel, 255 tire. A P1 only uses a 245 on the front. Not to mention the increase in rolling friction going to that large a wheel.

You can probably avoid rubbing by camber and a stretched tire, but then what's the point of using a wider wheel if one plans on stretching the tire in the first place?

In the end, I think the only thing you gain is the ability to say "I got a 10.5" wheel in the front, YO" j/k
Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you can find a staggered setup that you like I'd give that setup serious consideration. There are some good concave wheels in narrower widths, my 8.5/10" stagger has decent concavity in front, not as deep as the rear but close enough that they go well together. Some sets have a very flat face on the front wheel and deep concavity in back and that can look a bit off.

Running a 10.5" front looks best when running the same stretched tires in the front & back since wider front tires can rub quite a bit, especially if you're dropped pretty good. Stretched tires aren't what I'd recommend but many Gs go this route so that's up to you. I'd really go on a wide wheel search and see if there's a set that you like that can get the look you're after in a staggered fit, plus wide tires in back w/ narrower fronts also have a nice look & stance FWIW.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:21 PM
Mulatto

Blnewt, can you give me a quick education on the negatives of running a stretched front tire as you mentioned?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Mulatto
Blnewt, can you give me a quick education on the negatives of running a stretched front tire as you mentioned?
It exposes the rim so it's much easier to curb rash them, you're also mounting the tire on a wider rim than the factory allows so any tire warranty issue would be hard to claim. If something were to happen w/ regard to your tires being improperly mounted there may be extra liability (but I'm no lawyer so that would be a gray area). The tire isn't mounted as it was designed so there may be some different handling characteristics.

Lots of people run stretched setups out of necessity for clearance, or they like the look and don't have problems. For something as important to the car (and safety) as tires I just prefer to have them mounted as they were intended but that doesn't mean that it can't be done without problems, just something to be aware of if you're wanting to try it. If you do attempt one of these setups its' best to do your homework and ask those that have done it for a long time to find out what tires respond best to a stretch mount, etc. I can't comment on how they ride since I haven't ran a stretched set.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:52 AM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
depends on the tire sizes
if you run same tires all around, i would first theorize that you'll be introducing oversteer (if not a bit of it).

also, naturally, increasing the rim diameter usually correlates with a decrease in 'profile' a.k.a section height. a lot of what eventually happens will have to do with which tire sizes you choose. btw, you did not mention what rim width you'd be running... providing at least this could help us give you a better idea of what tires should/can be run along with handling characteristics

Last edited by jujubii; 02-25-2014 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM
Mulatto

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

Blnewt, that's exactly the information I needed, thanks.

jujubii, I was asking about a 10.5" square setup. I just didn't put the "inch" marks in the title.

Ultimately, I would prefer to run a staggered setup if I can get the flushness, and concave look at least somewhat similar to the square setup. It just seems like a 20x10.5 front wheel is a little excessive, both in width and weight when it comes to performance. However, this is my first import car (I'm a long time Ford guy), so for all I know it's normal.

Anyway, thanks again and I welcome anyone else's input or personal experience with the square setup or accomplishing the look I'm after with staggered sizes (I'll be pouring through the past threads to learn more as well).
Old 02-26-2014, 01:52 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulatto
Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread.

Blnewt, that's exactly the information I needed, thanks.

jujubii, I was asking about a 10.5" square setup. I just didn't put the "inch" marks in the title.

Ultimately, I would prefer to run a staggered setup if I can get the flushness, and concave look at least somewhat similar to the square setup. It just seems like a 20x10.5 front wheel is a little excessive, both in width and weight when it comes to performance. However, this is my first import car (I'm a long time Ford guy), so for all I know it's normal.

Anyway, thanks again and I welcome anyone else's input or personal experience with the square setup or accomplishing the look I'm after with staggered sizes (I'll be pouring through the past threads to learn more as well).
sorry, brain fart. i meant to say diameter and you covered that in this post. i'll try to write something up later.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Dgriffith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's wrong with doing the square setup solely for aesthetics?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Dgriffith
What's wrong with doing the square setup solely for aesthetics?
Nothing wrong w/ doing the setup primarily for the looks, just have to be sure everything fits up properly w/ adequate clearance and realize there will be some compromise in the drive. If you want a square setup w/ easier to fit rims/tires so much the better.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 PM
VT's G35S Sedan
CARHOLICS

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man

"You can't say looks, because you wouldn't even know it without laying on the ground to see the wider tire from the front view."

Really???You can't see the difference in having a 10.5 concave wheel in the front compared to a 8.5 or 9?? Have you ever seen a square setup?
When you get a staggered wheel setup the front wheel will always be Flat and the rear will be the one with that sexy concave in my opinion. So The reason I said Good bye to the boring old Staggered setup up and went with the 20x10.5 square setup instead is for the Looks.

As the tire. I did a light stretch 255/35/20, I stretched the tire to not have any Rubbing and also Reduce the rolling friction in the front. My wheels and tire combo only weigh 5pounds more then the OEM 17" wheel/tire setup up. So at the end I got a deep concave all around and almost no noticable difference in handling change.
I did not have to use Camber kits at all. Just had to roll the front fender lip in a tiny bit, and still have all my fender liners intact.

I got the looks and did not delete any of the parts off the car that make it Luxury.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Mulatto

I still haven't purchased my wheels (waiting on the OE tires to need replacing, right now I'm at 16k miles). Thanks for the reply guys. As much as I DON'T want to have to mess with a square setup, so far it looks like I'm going to put up with the "disadvantages" because the look is so damn sexy.
VT's G35S Sedan (05-03-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 04:02 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Few things wrong...

1. Why pay more money
2. Why gain more weight
3. A tire should be 10-20% over wheel width. So you're looking at a 295 square. Will that fit? Rub? Be more expensive?

Why do everything to purposely hurt the car? To me looks are gay. If you can't drive fast and do it well don't do it at all. A 9.5" square is more than enough of a wheel. Wheels cheaper, weighs less for more unsprung rotational weight performance and tires will be better.

Also if you want true square (meaning wheels are the same vs just running a square tire setup) offset is important and will be hard to find to fit both and look ok. 10.5 +15 is flush on my Z but would look ****ing retarded on the front. Do a 9.5 true square if you want and add a spacer in the rear so the front and rear match.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:07 AM
Synolimit

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by VT's G35S Sedan
"You can't say looks, because you wouldn't even know it without laying on the ground to see the wider tire from the front view."

Really???You can't see the difference in having a 10.5 concave wheel in the front compared to a 8.5 or 9?? Have you ever seen a square setup?
When you get a staggered wheel setup the front wheel will always be Flat and the rear will be the one with that sexy concave in my opinion. So The reason I said Good bye to the boring old Staggered setup up and went with the 20x10.5 square setup instead is for the Looks.

As the tire. I did a light stretch 255/35/20, I stretched the tire to not have any Rubbing and also Reduce the rolling friction in the front. My wheels and tire combo only weigh 5pounds more then the OEM 17" wheel/tire setup up. So at the end I got a deep concave all around and almost no noticable difference in handling change.
I did not have to use Camber kits at all. Just had to roll the front fender lip in a tiny bit, and still have all my fender liners intact.

I got the looks and did not delete any of the parts off the car that make it Luxury.
Name:  imagejpg1_zpsbec556e4.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  19.2 KB

Also gay, unsafe, and being a former cop I'd tow your car. You're not putting me or my family at risk cause you think that ****s cool.
stiizy (04-29-2014)

Quick Reply: Disadvantages of 10.5 square setup?