Flat tire after 5 days!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
have them check the valve stems. I'd had a slow leak issue (for a different car) and found that it was a valve stem after dealing with it for a year. Take it back and make the shop that mounted the tire deal with it.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
This is what can happen when you don’t have TPMS, which is now available for most aftermarket rims.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Italia311

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crap. well I bought the wheels off of a forum member as well and they didnt come with tmps. I asked the guy at the shop where i got them mounted and he said they werent crucial/necessary and that itd save me $280..so i listened... -__-
Old 05-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Italia311
crap. well I bought the wheels off of a forum member as well and they didnt come with tmps. I asked the guy at the shop where i got them mounted and he said they werent crucial/necessary and that itd save me $280..so i listened... -__-
Which Iconz wheel did you bought? I'm wondering can this be my old wheels.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Italia311

20" staggered in Anthricite finish? F 25 R 32
Old 05-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Weiboy718

Nvm! Those aren't my old wheels since the finish is different.

Idk if you have a 2pc or 3pc. If 3pc wheel you might wanna check out the sealant on the inside of the wheel too. If that got damaged that can be the source for your leak also.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:34 PM
Italia311

lol ok. Im pretty sure theyre 3 piece. Im bringin them back saturday morning so hopefully this will get resolved. If I dont post back on this after that then youll know everything is good lol. Ill post pictures once its all setlled.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Italia311

UPDATE: so......turns out, according the owner of the tire shop, the ****ing gasket where the face of the wheel bolts to the other pieces of the wheel is leaking, which caused air to leak out and ruined my tire. so not only did I have to buy a new tire, but I have to now find a shop that will repair my wheel... this is awesome. Im ecstatic....
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM
DashKid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow that sucks. Well when I first got my G the tpms sensor came out on my way home. Which sucked. So went back to the dealer only to find out it had a nail in my tire and got a new tire put on that way.

So yeah my first experience with the car wasn't a good one haha.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:34 AM
Kirkules

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
... didnt come with tmps. I asked the guy at the shop ... and he said they werent crucial/necessary and that itd save me $280..so i listened...
Back in the day we used to look at the tires before we got into the car. I will admit it is harder to see low tire pressure with low profile tires. The tie guy is right - TMPS is an add on electronic nanny most people don't have. It is handy, not crucial.

And props to you Italia - you are frustrated, out a few bucks and disappointed, but it looks like you are taking personal responsibility for your purchase decisions and not trying to blame the system or be a total victim. I would e-mail the guy you bought the wheels from though, at least see if he was aware.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:23 PM
GTLAW
Banned

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't understand why people go out and buy a nice set of new wheels and go cheap on the one thing will save your life!

! Friends don't let Friends drive around with tires from www.MayPopTires.com !
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Weiboy718

UPDATE: so......turns out, according the owner of the tire shop, the ****ing gasket where the face of the wheel bolts to the other pieces of the wheel is leaking, which caused air to leak out and ruined my tire. so not only did I have to buy a new tire, but I have to now find a shop that will repair my wheel... this is awesome. Im ecstatic....
That's the seal I was telling you about on my earlier post. It's a silicone that seals the inner and outter barrel together. Def have a good wheel repair shop to fix that. Also I kinda knew your tire was a goner when you said you drove it flat.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Kirkules
Back in the day we used to look at the tires before we got into the car. I will admit it is harder to see low tire pressure with low profile tires. The tie guy is right - TMPS is an add on electronic nanny most people don't have. It is handy, not crucial.
I been driving since 1954. In those days we also didn’t have what we later thought were handy but not crucial safety enhancements; things like seat belts, air bags, collapsible steering columns, padded dashes, dual brake lines, turn signals (they were a dealer installed option then), power brakes, electric windshield wipers (we only had vacuum wipers that stopped cold when going up a hill making you blind in the rain), and eventually TPMS. Considering the many lives those devices have saved through the years, we were wrong.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:40 PM
Italia311

Correct, you were right. And if I had known earlier I would have saved myself a tire too. Im beyond pissed. oh well, now Ive learned not to by used stuff because clearly people are not as honest as we'd like them to be.

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
That's the seal I was telling you about on my earlier post. It's a silicone that seals the inner and outter barrel together. Def have a good wheel repair shop to fix that. Also I kinda knew your tire was a goner when you said you drove it flat.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Weiboy718

Correct, you were right. And if I had known earlier I would have saved myself a tire too. Im beyond pissed. oh well, now Ive learned not to by used stuff because clearly people are not as honest as we'd like them to be.
Don't let this mishap bring you down. Your wheels can be fixed only big catch is you'll be spendin more money than anticipated.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Flat tire after 5 days!!