Need good tires that aren't so expensive g37s 6mt

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Pennsylvania-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Silver37
Yo Pennsylvania G...how are those new Yokos working out? I'd be interested to hear since there's lots of hype around them and they promise everything. I'm like you...would like to find something that works well without having to replace them every 21K miles. Would appreciate the pluses and minuses since your tire isn't rated yet.
I have about 500 miles on the ENVigor's in the stock sizes, and so far I would recommend them. Of course just about any tire should be very good with such low mileage. The real test will be after 15,000 miles or so.
I noticed with my original Bridgestones, after about 8 to 10K miles, the car would pull violently left or right when there was a discontinuity in the road surface. I had the alignment checked, and it was within spec. I'll see how these ENVigors handle as they wear.
Two days after I purchased the tires we had a surprise 3" of wet, slushy snow and these tires were very good. Many people from work with AWD SUV's and trucks complained that they had trouble getting home due to the slush. When I first started home from work, I was testing the traction in the parking lot. The rears were slipping quite a bit, but I was giving the car a lot more gas than I would on a road. I just backed off a little on the gas for the ride home, and I made it without any problems. The next day in the rain, they were great. These were a lot better than the stock Bridgestones (even when the Bridgestones were new). This was expected, as the Bridgestones are a summer performance tire, not an all season tire.
On the dry road, the tires feel a little softer as far as feeling every little pebble in the road. For handling, they feel pretty close to the (new) Bridgestones. The ENVigor's seem to be a little noisier than the (new) Bridgestones, but still much quieter than the Bridgestones with 21k miles.
Since any tire selection is always a tradeoff between mileage, traction, comfort, & noise, not to mention cost, what is a good tire for me may not suit someone else. Since I live in NE Pennsylvania, I feel the all season capabilities, along with the very good handling and smoother ride make these tires a very good choice.
The price was about $930 installed at my local shop.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pennsylvania-G
I have about 500 miles on the ENVigor's in the stock sizes, and so far I would recommend them. Of course just about any tire should be very good with such low mileage. The real test will be after 15,000 miles or so.
I noticed with my original Bridgestones, after about 8 to 10K miles, the car would pull violently left or right when there was a discontinuity in the road surface. I had the alignment checked, and it was within spec. I'll see how these ENVigors handle as they wear.
Two days after I purchased the tires we had a surprise 3" of wet, slushy snow and these tires were very good. Many people from work with AWD SUV's and trucks complained that they had trouble getting home due to the slush. When I first started home from work, I was testing the traction in the parking lot. The rears were slipping quite a bit, but I was giving the car a lot more gas than I would on a road. I just backed off a little on the gas for the ride home, and I made it without any problems. The next day in the rain, they were great. These were a lot better than the stock Bridgestones (even when the Bridgestones were new). This was expected, as the Bridgestones are a summer performance tire, not an all season tire.
On the dry road, the tires feel a little softer as far as feeling every little pebble in the road. For handling, they feel pretty close to the (new) Bridgestones. The ENVigor's seem to be a little noisier than the (new) Bridgestones, but still much quieter than the Bridgestones with 21k miles.
Since any tire selection is always a tradeoff between mileage, traction, comfort, & noise, not to mention cost, what is a good tire for me may not suit someone else. Since I live in NE Pennsylvania, I feel the all season capabilities, along with the very good handling and smoother ride make these tires a very good choice.
The price was about $930 installed at my local shop.
Thanks for the update. How did yours balance up...any problems? Which Bridgestones were you on...RE050s or other?
Old 04-11-2010, 12:20 AM
TJHG37S

Just curious, are any of them less than $900/set and also have great traction? Looking into some 19s soon and while my V12s are great for what they are, would like your expert opinion on some good street/track tires...

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Mike
Straight off the top of my head, I can think of over 30 tires that would brake faster than a Ventus V12.

It may have been #2 in that particular comparison. Did that comparison happen to include RE050A?
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Just curious, are any of them less than $900/set and also have great traction? Looking into some 19s soon and while my V12s are great for what they are, would like your expert opinion on some good street/track tires...

Thanks!
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but look into any UHP/EHP tires. RE-11, NT05, AD08, Z1 Star Spec, Ventus RS-3, etc.

Availability may vary, depending on the sizes you want.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM
Pennsylvania-G

Thanks for the update. How did yours balance up...any problems? Which Bridgestones were you on...RE050s or other?
I had the RE050's, and one thing I noticed was that the tread in the middle of the tire was deep (7 to 8/32) when I measured them after about 10k miles, but the depth decreased as I moved to either the inside or outside from the middle(down to 5/32). I thought I had a possible excessive wear, or an alignment problem (also had the violent pulling as I mentioned earlier). While my alignment was being checked, I looked at all the new G-coupes on the dealer's lot, and they all showed the same pattern but with no wear. I would think that a new car with new tires would have 10/32 tread on ALL of the grooves, not just the center two, but none of the new cars had full depth tread all the way across. Maybe Bridgestone made some "special" tires for Infiniti (for a lower price).
I didn't have any problems balancing the new ENVigor's. They are smooth...
Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Mike

I had the RE050's, and one thing I noticed was that the tread in the middle of the tire was deep (7 to 8/32) when I measured them after about 10k miles, but the depth decreased as I moved to either the inside or outside from the middle(down to 5/32). I thought I had a possible excessive wear, or an alignment problem (also had the violent pulling as I mentioned earlier). While my alignment was being checked, I looked at all the new G-coupes on the dealer's lot, and they all showed the same pattern but with no wear. I would think that a new car with new tires would have 10/32 tread on ALL of the grooves, not just the center two, but none of the new cars had full depth tread all the way across. Maybe Bridgestone made some "special" tires for Infiniti (for a lower price).
Your tires are underinflated. The TPMS is an idiot light. If it comes on, you're WAY low (~28 psi). Fill them up to 32-34 cold.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

My wear is mostly on the outside, but not excessive. I would pump them up higher, but I don't think I could take the ride. I know that Bridgestone is known for rounding off the edges to help smooth out the transitions so maybe that would account for some of what you are seeing.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:23 AM
Mike

My wear is mostly on the outside, but not excessive. I would pump them up higher, but I don't think I could take the ride. I know that Bridgestone is known for rounding off the edges to help smooth out the transitions so maybe that would account for some of what you are seeing.
If your wear is on the outside only, you corner hard, and probably should run a little more camber.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:09 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

If your wear is on the outside only, you corner hard, and probably should run a little more camber.
Yeah...the rears seem to be doing about the same, so it might be the alignment or just the way they wear. It's been a while since I've had a RWD car, so I know the enhanced handling is going to eat the tires more on the outside.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Pennsylvania-G

Your tires are underinflated. The TPMS is an idiot light. If it comes on, you're WAY low (~28 psi). Fill them up to 32-34 cold.
They weren't underinflated. I run 35 psi in all 4 tires, and I check them every two weeks. Plus the tires in the new G's on the dealer's lot had less tread on the grooves to the inside and outside of the two center grooves. I think Bridgestone rounded them off a little. I'd be curious to see if new RE050's purchased from a tire store are rounded off as well. I wouldn't think so.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Mike

They weren't underinflated. I run 35 psi in all 4 tires, and I check them every two weeks. Plus the tires in the new G's on the dealer's lot had less tread on the grooves to the inside and outside of the two center grooves. I think Bridgestone rounded them off a little. I'd be curious to see if new RE050's purchased from a tire store are rounded off as well. I wouldn't think so.
I can't confirm or deny that, but there are a lot of variants of 050A's since it is a (very) popular OEM tire.

As you get the 'higher' performance tires, they tend to be more squared off to maximize tread width.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Pennsylvania G - Any update on your new ENVigors? Any update on ride quality, handling, noise level, etc. would be appreciated. I'm still considering going with an all-season tire like yours.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Vredestein, yo!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
no one has commented on NT05s? Been calling around shops and some are letting them go for $1000-$1100 OTD for 19s.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Yoko Envigor has my vote. Been a great tire thus far.

Quick Reply: Need good tires that aren't so expensive g37s 6mt