Nokian WR G2

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:08 PM
jdm_inspire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nokian WR G2

First impression:

OK ...

I've selected my winter package for my G37S 6MT. Since I had great experience with the Nokian WR (205/50/17) for my '02 Acura TL-S, I thought I would give the next gen of the WR series a chance (Nokian WR G2) for my G37. They didn't have anything that was compatible for our staggered tire size, so I went -1 and went with 235/50/18, instead of the recommended 225/50/18 Inifniti recommends (which only leaves you with the LM-25 as your only option).

Weather today was really warm ... 68F as the high in Detroit today. Tire pressures were set to ~42psi (didn't get a chance to see max tire pressure, but I think the max is 44psi). Load rating: 101 XL. Speed rating: W.

I drove on the potholed streets and highways of the metro Detroit area and let me tell you how different a driving experience these tires are over the OEM Bridgestone 050A in staggered 19s!!! About 80 miles logged today ... about 70 miles on highway (I-696, I-75, Lodge freeway, I-275/96). Steering felt numb, handling was significantly decreased (more sidewalls) and pick up from a stop felt so sluggish. Road noise is a wee bit more noticeable at highway speeds (75mph+) On a positive note, the added sidewall has significantly reduced the road bumps and it does feel more "luxury".

Before, the G handled brilliantly -- Nissan did a great job with that tire selection/setup. However,the Nokians are not meant for the G37 for handling whatsoever. I think I have to get used to them before I reserve any long term judgement. For the time being ... I am a bit disappointed by the lack of performance. I will guarantee that my impression will change once the temps drop below freezing (where the Potenzas will turn as hard as a rock) and snow on the ground.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:26 PM
GiGGaplease

good thing i do not live up north. no need for winter tires .
Old 10-24-2008, 05:28 PM
jdm_inspire

Well ... drove the G in the rain and the tires handled brilliantly. I have the tires set at 41 psi all around (max pressure: 51psi) so there's a compromise between handling and comfort. May want to increase the pressure a couple of psi to see if that will improve handling or not.

So far, I'm happy with how the car feels. I think I've grown accustomed to the new tires and what they can (and cannot) do. I am anxious to see how the car handles once the weather becomes a bit more inclement!

Washed my OEM rims -- got the Mother's all-purpose rim cleaner as well as a little elbow grease. Rims look great and no more crap on them.

Also pulled out my wife's steelies for her TSX. Boy -- were they neglected! Will have to throw them into tote bags I bought from Costco and have them ready to be mounted in the near future. I'll wait until the temps are consistently below 45 F and more importantly ... some signs of snow (yes, I used the "s-word"!). I think it won't be until closer to US Thanksgiving before I need to do that ... so I have time on my side.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:39 PM
jdm_inspire

OK ... it's snowed in Toronto a couple of times and here is my impression of the WR G2 with some decent amount of snow on the ground.

1) Do not expect 'true' winter tire grip with the WR G2 (compared to the Blizzak WS-60 or a Michelin X-Ice caliber tire). It will get you around a lot safer than a traditional "all-season" tire or the OEM 19" tires ... this I will guarantee you. But ... you have to use common sense and feather the gas so you don't spin the tires from a stand still. The G has tons of torque so spinning tires / traction control will go nuts if you hit the gas hard. I have felt the back end get a little loose when trying to make a 'fast' left turn, but the trusty traction control has kept me from getting around.

2) Handling -- feels just fine. Confidence switching lanes at highway speeds, even when there is slush on the ground. Haven't hit any icy patches (and I hope not to!) so I can't really comment here. My drive consists of highway (401, 403) as well as city driving (plowed / salted as well as unplowed side roads) and I have yet to get stuck. It's a little hilly where I travel, so I never felt as if I would roll down a hill but then again, I do have the luxury of a manual transmission, so I can choose whatever gear I want.

3) Noise -- no significant noise. Then again, I have the radio to a minimum 3-4 bars when listening to MP3 DVDs in the city and about 5 bars at highway speeds so that must mean the tires aren't that loud (or the car is well insulated).

Summary after 2000 miles of driving: I am happy I have these tires. Tomorrow is supposed to expect 4-6" (10-15cm) of snow, so I will see if I got my money's worth or not. I do like the fact that I won't have to worry if it turns really warm (ie 50-60 F or about 10-15 C) on the odd day such that it won't wear the tire compound prematurely. The sacrifice is slightly poorer winter handling, but I don't drive on unplowed roads very often. And more importantly, I don't drive like a maniac when the weather outside is awful.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
good thing i do not live up north. no need for winter tires .
+1 on that, summer tires all year round