Upcoming Events Upcoming G37/G35/350Z Events
View Poll Results: Which Date Will Your Ride Roll???
July 10th
7.69%
July 17th
46.15%
July 24th
7.69%
July 31st
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

July NY/NJ/CT/PA Summer Cruise & Shoot

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 04:36 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Received 277 Likes on 170 Posts
July NY/NJ/CT/PA Summer Cruise & Shoot

Calling all NY/NJ/CT/PA Metro Area G-Units

Last month's NJ meet was a blast.

I'm still stoked over the photos and jazzed from the great exchange of info and just hanging with other enthusiasts.

Let's roll it out again before the August East Coast meet...so we can tighten our kits and and get ready represent for the big gig!

To that end, I propose a fun cruise up to Bear Mountain Lookout, followed by a photo-shoot down by the Hudson River (Either Annsville Circle, Peekskill Waterfront or if the group is large, Croton Point Park.

Bear Mountain lookout is an awesome drive up to one of the highest road accessible points over the Hudson. It's right near the Bear Mountain Bridge and there are some awesome scenic and devilishly twisty roads down to to Annsville circle.

There's also a couple of good pubs for eats drinks and socializing by the waterfront to chill at for those so-inclined.

So let's hear some chatter. It's about 45 mins North of NYC, and 40 mins East-ish from last month's NJ Meet at the Garden State Plaza mall and about an Hour from Norwalk.

*** UPDATE ***

CONFIRMED DATE:
[COLOR=Red][B]
>>>> Rain Date: Wednesday August 3rd Car Show!

Last edited by bikezilla; 07-30-2016 at 01:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bikezilla:
G37_Girl (06-07-2016), kennyz424 (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Thirty_Seven

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
We actually did a run up to Hawks nest last July. There were only 5 of us but it was an awesome time. I think the first pic you linked is actually Hawks nest not bear mountain, it's about another 30 minutes up. I'm definitely down to go though, looking forward to it!

Here's the thread from last year with pics if anyone is interested:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/northea...s-welcome.html
Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
This is a great idea and I can't wait for this next meetup for sure. Beautiful scenery, awesome badazz roads, some food and perfect spots for some grade A picture taking!!
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Thirty_Seven
We actually did a run up to Hawks nest last July. There were only 5 of us but it was an awesome time. I think the first pic you linked is actually Hawks nest not bear mountain, it's about another 30 minutes up. I'm definitely down to go though, looking forward to it!

Here's the thread from last year with pics if anyone is interested:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/northea...s-welcome.html
Yeah, was in a hurry at work so I didn't have time to caption the shot.

We locals call that twisty road the "Goat Path". It's on the East side of the river. Its part of the route and maybe 15 mins away from the summit. (10mins down, 5mins to and across the bridge)

I actually have been driving up the goat-path and over the Bear Mountain Bridge daily for the last two years commuting to Franklin Lakes. I also ride my roadbike up to the BM Summit so yeah, I know the route.

It'll be part of the cruise down from the Bear Mountain Summit.
That is to say after we take the summit road down, we'll cross the bridge, then down the Goat Path to Annsville circle and either stop at the Peekskill waterfront or down the highway a clip to Croton Point Park for a photoshoot.

Y'all got massive ***** stopping on the GP to take pictures...or a death-wish. They usually extract a body or two a year out of a twisted vehicle of someone that hit someone that had similar ideas.

I believe Eagles Nest refers to the lookout near the top of the Goat Path. It's a great observation point where you can actually see Bald Eagles if you are lucky. Unfortunately that parking lot only holds a about a dozen cars and its rather popular.

Last edited by bikezilla; 06-06-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:49 AM
G37_Girl

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds awesome! Looking forward to going! Going to get some amazing pictures! :-)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:20 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
the most important question of all is how friendly are the roads to lowered cars?
Old 06-07-2016, 02:24 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
the most important question of all is how friendly are the roads to lowered cars?
Dammed if I know, I drive a G-SUV

The NJ approach to the area would be the Pallisades Parkway

wich largely sucks but it's newly paved from the Rout-6 Junction to the Bear Mountain Bridge. Route-6 past Woodbury commons is a nice drive and in good condition. Most of it is newly paved.

Seven Lakes Drive is The road that leads to the summit approach and it is smooth and in good shape.

The climb to the summit is Perkins Memorial Drive and it is also smooth. No speed bumps, no holes. It's a long curved steep climb with nice views.

The Goat path is in good shape too. No holes. In addition to driving it frequently, I climb it on my bicycle so believe me, I know the surface.

Peekskill waterfront is in good shape, however there is a railroad crossing to get into the park. It has been recently rebuilt, so it is flush and they have graded the approach from each side to mostly flat. Not much of a ramp. Parking in the waterfront is Metro-north and well maintained.
There's also a good pub there called the Peekskill Brewery(lots of craft beers) and they have very good parking so you can stare at your car through the bottom of your pint glass.

Croton Point park is about the same condition. It's a much larger park and waterfront area, but it's also another 15mins or so down the road from Peekskill and depending on the time of day, they charge ~$12 parking.

They do not charge for parking at the Bear Mt. summit, but they do charge to park in Bear Mountain Park at the base.
Bear Mtn bridge also charges to cross to the East side. But it's only ~$1.50. Far cheaper than the Tappanzee or GWB.

Eagle's Nest is just a pull-over park. Holds ~12 cars and is usually full of lookers. No charge of course. Annsville Circle park is free too, but hosts a popular Kayak launch parking at the end of the day should be no problem. There's also a Mobile station right there for those in need.

I'm thinking Perhaps we meet up at Anthony Wayne Recreational Park just off the Pallisades and take 7-Lakes up to Perkins. Then back down Perkins, down 7-lakes (east) to the Bear Mt.

Bridge, then down the Goat Path, to Annsvile Circle. Then across the BMP extention to Peekskill Metro North waterfront park. Croton Point Park is also worth stopping at if folks want another quick cruise down the road, provided it's late enough for the parking station to close. Same goes for Wayne park.For folks coming from NY, we can meet up at the Annsville

Circle Mobile station and I'll lead you all to Wayne park.
Then we all link up there and head to the summit as described above. Or I can meet you off the Taconic and guide you in from there.

Fair warning. Route 9 btwn Peekskill and Croton is heavily patroled with speed traps.

And for-real don't mess around on the Goatpath. Between the pshcho knee dragging rocket bikers, gawking minivans and tippy truckers, you never know when you may cross the line the same time someone else does from the opposite direction.
The following 2 users liked this post by bikezilla:
ChinkyChoy (06-07-2016), G37_Girl (06-09-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 02:27 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

better answer than google maps could have gave me lol
Old 06-07-2016, 02:52 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Holy crap that answer was intense lol
I'm loving your dedication to this zilla and seriously can't wait!
Make a list in the original thread of people attending!

So far we got...

1. bikezilla
2. Thirty_Seven
3. kennyz424
4. G37_Girl
5. ChinkyChoy (I think lol)

I'm sure this list will continue to grow the closer we get to the date.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:11 PM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
better answer than google maps could have gave me lol
I just don't want anyone sending me a repair bill claiming "Zilla broked my ride!" .

Last edited by bikezilla; 06-07-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:47 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

I don't know if I ll be able to make this one

But I ll try to be home for the one in Aug!
Old 06-08-2016, 03:14 AM
timc00k

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Any specific reasons why all the days listed above are Sundays? Is everyone busy on Saturdays?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:34 AM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
not to burst anyones bubble but have been up bear twice this year with other runs...
on a sunday... expect this to be nothing but a leisure drive with frequent tailgating.. lots of normal traffic..
spirited drives were few and far between... but having said that... i was at last years hawks nest run..
even though ive moved and is now over three hours away.. count me in..
Old 06-08-2016, 09:11 AM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Sat or Sunday is fine with me.
I picked Sunday's b/c the last NJ meet worked out well. It seems like it'll be less crowded the end of the day.
(Besides, I always got a kick out of the idea of a Sunday Drive in the country)

As for a spirited group drive,
Sorry, not at Bear Mtn. Or the Goat Path.
There is virtually no time before late-night when you get more than cruising speed, hence the use of the term "cruise" in the title and the caution in my post above.

This is more of a social and photo shoot.
I envy folks who drive where you can have more than 2 cars drop the hammer and not draw as many troopers.

This area is a very popular group ride route, so there will be others on the road.

Last edited by bikezilla; 06-08-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:41 AM
bikezilla
Registered Member

Originally Posted by micafd3s
even though ive moved and is now over three hours away.. count me in..
3hrs?
Dude, let me buy you a beer!
(It'll be cheaper than the gas!)

Quick Reply: July NY/NJ/CT/PA Summer Cruise & Shoot