The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

Are used M37 prices expected to drop soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Hedgehog25

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are used M37 prices expected to drop soon?

I'm thinking about buying a used M37 (either 2011/2012 model year, would prefer 2012), and I have a question about the pricing of these cars. As I understand it, a "new" M37 will be released in a few weeks. I have read that, when a car model is tweaked/re-designed and released as a new or re-named model (e.g., as in the case of the M37 being re-named the Q70), there is typically a substantial depreciation hit to the older model years of that car. In other words, from what I've heard and been told, the re-titling of the M37 to "Q70" along with the design tweaks could cause the re-sale value/prices of older, used M37's to decrease drastically (possibly by $5k?).

Does anyone know if this is what typically occurs in this situation? If so, do you know how long it usually takes for prices of the older model years to drop following the release of a re-design? Like I said, I'm interested in purchasing an M37, but if the prices of 2011/2012 used cars will drop shortly after the Q70 is released later this month, I definitely won't mind waiting a few more weeks.

Thanks...
Old 09-08-2014, 12:48 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
The M went through a model change in 2011 ... I doubt a new design will be coming out. New name yeah (stupid Q naming) but major redesign, I doubt.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
The all-new Q70 (M) wont appear until 2016/2017 ....I am not sure where you got your facts.

What we do have now is a Q70L ....long wheelbase....and THATS whats new for 2015.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Chilibowl, hope you do not work for Infiniti lol. This is a refreshed model. Has a new front facia, new headlight systems, hood design etc. Essentially a whole new front end to mimic the Q50. The rear end is also redone to look more like the Q50 especially in the tail light design. The interior stays the same, new colors were added as well as expressed already a long wheelbase design adding 5.4 inches of rear legroom. To answer your question on price, do not expect a huge drop, they have already been going down in the pricing on the used market. You may see a subtle drop but not much. If you look at the G37 Sedan used market when the Q50 hit it did not drop that much, about 2k or so, and that was for a brand new ground up car. New 2013 M's are heavily discounted which lowered the used car pricing so it is essentially already there.
Old 09-08-2014, 03:59 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Chilibowl, hope you do not work for Infiniti lol. This is a refreshed model. Has a new front facia, new headlight systems, hood design etc. Essentially a whole new front end to mimic the Q50. The rear end is also redone to look more like the Q50 especially in the tail light design. The interior stays the same, new colors were added as well as expressed already a long wheelbase design adding 5.4 inches of rear legroom. To answer your question on price, do not expect a huge drop, they have already been going down in the pricing on the used market. You may see a subtle drop but not much. If you look at the G37 Sedan used market when the Q50 hit it did not drop that much, about 2k or so, and that was for a brand new ground up car. New 2013 M's are heavily discounted which lowered the used car pricing so it is essentially already there.
None of my statements were incorrect.

I said... ALL-NEW....The 2015 Q70 is NOT all-new ....as you said...its a "refreshed" model.

Huge difference.

Bottom line, its the same exact car as the 2011, with new skin.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Hedgehog25

Originally Posted by kaoticdemize
Thanks for the explanation. It seems like my area/region (southeast) must be something of an exception, because a year ago, 2011 M37's that were going for $30k haven't really budged much in terms of price -- the same car might now cost $28, 800 - $29,500. So it seems like the cars really haven't depreciated much around here (maybe by a few hundred bucks). I'm guessing the 2011 M37's won't start seeing significant price drops until most of those for sale start seeing their warranties expire this year...
Old 09-08-2014, 04:12 PM
2008G-Man

Considering what a new M goes for, I don't think $28-29k is that bad.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:52 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
Considering what a new M goes for, I don't think $28-29k is that bad.
Agreed. Nice looking car that stands out (in a good way) amongst the 5 series and E class. I'd look very hard at the M and the A6 if I wanted something this size.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 PM
Hedgehog25

I actually know of a guy who goes to the national auto auctions and buys cars at them all the time, and based on recent sales data, it looks like 2012 M37's (in good condition) in the 30k-40k mile range are going for as low as $25k, although I'm not sure if this price would be for a car that includes, for example, the Sport package.

At this point, I think I'm torn between a 2012 G37S and a 2012 M37. I would prefer to get an M37S if I end up going for the M37, but finding one with that options package may be too cost prohibitive.

What complicates the deal is that I *should* be able to get (at the auction) a 2012 G37S sedan (30k-40k miles) for possibly less than $21k. Yes -- that's even with the Sport package!

So if I go the auction route, the dilemma will be: do I want a base 2012 M37 for $25k, or a loaded 2012 G37S for ~$21k? I'm a fairly young guy with no wife or kids, so I'm persuaded towards the M37 primarily on the basis of it being a nicer-looking car than the G37 (I.e., I don't really need the extra backseat space). So on one hand, it seems like it there's really no valid reason to spend the extra money on a bare-bones M37, but at the same time, there's a voice inside of me saying, "Come on, the M37 looks so much better to you, so you'll regret it if you don't go for it instead!"

What do you guys think? Spend the extra $$$ on a nicer looking car, or go for what represents the better value-for-the-money?
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 AM
2008G-Man

For me .... I would never buy a car at auction. Usually there is a reason it's at auction and the dealer didn't keep it to sell on their lot.

If I were you (age, etc) I would go with a G37 coupe.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Hedgehog25

For me .... I would never buy a car at auction. Usually there is a reason it's at auction and the dealer didn't keep it to sell on their lot.

If I were you (age, etc) I would go with a G37 coupe.
Interesting suggestion. The only problem is, I haven't driven a coupe, but I have a driven a G37 sedan, and even though I considered it to have an adequate amount of head/leg room, I remember thinking that I definitely didn't want any less. With that being said, I think the coupe looks very nice, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the more-cramped cabin.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you recommend an M37? Is it usually regarded as an "older guy's" car? I'm 26, so I may or may not be there yet, LOL.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
If I'm 26 and no kids, I'm not getting either

Seriously though it's all about your priorities. I got my G b/c of the value/performance equation. If I went with my heart, I'd be rolling in a S4.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:38 PM
2008G-Man

Originally Posted by Hedgehog25
Interesting suggestion. The only problem is, I haven't driven a coupe, but I have a driven a G37 sedan, and even though I considered it to have an adequate amount of head/leg room, I remember thinking that I definitely didn't want any less. With that being said, I think the coupe looks very nice, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the more-cramped cabin.

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you recommend an M37? Is it usually regarded as an "older guy's" car? I'm 26, so I may or may not be there yet, LOL.
I'm 6'3" 230lbs .... my hair (which is going fast) just brushes the headliner on our coupe. There is plenty of leg room in the coupe and I got mine at age 50. I was going off you saying you were young, didn't need the back seat etc ....

It sounds like money is tight that's why I suggested the coupe and given your age and circumstances. Last thing you want to do is have buyers remorse. When I want to get my "old man" on, I drive the M, when I feel spirited, I take the Coupe. The M is much more comfortable than the coupe but not like the coupe is bad.

PS .... don't get an Audi (unless you enjoy spending a lot of money for repairs and maintenance ... and a lot of it)
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Hedgehog25

I'm 6'3" 230lbs .... my hair (which is going fast) just brushes the headliner on our coupe. There is plenty of leg room in the coupe and I got mine at age 50. I was going off you saying you were young, didn't need the back seat etc ....

It sounds like money is tight that's why I suggested the coupe and given your age and circumstances. Last thing you want to do is have buyers remorse. When I want to get my "old man" on, I drive the M, when I feel spirited, I take the Coupe. The M is much more comfortable than the coupe but not like the coupe is bad.

PS .... don't get an Audi (unless you enjoy spending a lot of money for repairs and maintenance ... and a lot of it)
Thanks for the additional clarification. I'll have to stop by Carmax this week and test drive a G37 coupe (no local Infiniti dealership).

That's a valid point regarding money; I want something fairly luxurious and fast, but I'll be in school 4 days/week for at least the next year and can't risk being late, car breaking down, etc., so I definitely need something reliable and relatively cheap to maintain (so like you said, Audi is out).

On the topic of cost, isn't the G37 sedan typically cheaper than the coupe, even if purchased used? The thing is, it might actually make more sense to go for the sedan, simply because I do have a large dog that I need to cart around from time to time. But between a G37S sedan and a G37S coupe, I would probably have a tough time making a decision....
Old 09-10-2014, 05:55 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl

What we do have now is a Q70L ....long wheelbase....and THATS whats new for 2015.
This statement is completely wrong, this is the point I was making. A refresh still has changes, more than just adding a long wheelbase.

Quick Reply: Are used M37 prices expected to drop soon?