The M - Spot General discussion for the M35/M45

I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 PM
SimpsonTide985

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)

I took my G in to get serviced, and one thing led to another and I ended up testing a M37 out while I waited.

I wasn't prepared for a test drive like I normally would be (I usually bring my own music and study the inventory beforehand).

I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)-fbzkw17.jpg
Sorry, I usually take more photos, but I think we all know what the M37 looks like.

Anyways, it was a Liquid Platinum M37 RWD w/ Graphite Leather. It had the following packages on it:
-Premium Package
-Deluxe Touring Package

Pros:

-I liked being able to switch between Snow/Eco/Standard/Sport modes. I was able to feel a difference in response and overall "cushiness" of the car

-For a large car, it handled better than expected. The distribution of the car's weight is better than some other big RWD cars I've driven.

-It was poised well in turns and also while changing lanes. I never felt it was lacking power or precision.

-Good power off the line--I was a little worried about the low end torque to move a car this large, but there was no issue there.

-Sense of higher luxury is definitely there. I've always been a fan of the interior style and it did not disappoint. I appreciated having cooled seats, heated steering wheel, a better sound system, smooth ride, and overall, a much more classier ambiance.

-Throaty V6 sound. The roar of the 3.7L engine is still there and although the cabin is quieter in the M in relation to the G, that engine sound still translates extremely well into the cabin.

Cons:
-The signature Japanese Silver-Powered Wood trim seemed so unique and interesting to me, but I never got in close to check it out. For me, I was a little disappointed. It didn't add as much to the interior as I thought it would.

-The exterior of the non-Sport M37's still look a little boring to me. As much as I was impressed by the suspension of the non-Sport M37, I think for me, the added aggressive fascias of the M37S might be worth having.

-----
The salesman tried to convince me that I'm qualified to end my lease early and switch over to the M37 if I chose to. I told him that I wanted to wait until August or so for the Q50 arrived before I made a decision.

He then gave me the impression that lease rates for a brand new production cycle car like the Q50 might not provide any significant deals/incentives, especially compared to the M37.

Of course, I'm not sure how much of that is true, but I didn't talk too much about the details. I wasn't in the position to make any promises.

Either way, I wouldn't want to make a choice yet until I've:
1. Test driven a M37s or
2. Test driven a Q50
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, sorry this sounds kindof wierd, but I can give you a point of view that is very similar to yours. I owned a 2011 limited g37 sedan as well, and have been debating on waiting for a Q50 or moving up to the M. I test drove the same car you did, (color and packages) and ended up going for the purchase. I figured the lease offers would be terrible even though the Q50 will start lower than the current G37's price. I got my M37 with prem/touring for $52,500; so the salesman isnt BSing on getting a good deal. But for me, the M is a whole different car. Such a better ride and experience, plus its nice to have decent sized back seats. Anyways, your review is spot on. Just thought it was funny you have the same car I had, and test drove the same car as I did.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
For me, I felt the exterior of the M is nice, the wheels and massive wheel gap are bothersome. As for the Silver Ash wood .... I think it's wonderful, makes all other wood look boring IMHO. I love my M, will have owned it coming up on a year soon, with 6k miles. Could drive it all day as it's so comfortable. Not too mention that 0-60 in 5.9 sec isn't too shabby for a car this heavy.

Last edited by 2008G-Man; 03-28-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:18 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Simpsontide, I am going through the same thing. My G37X lease comes up in August. My local dealer (Pepe Infinti , White Plains, NY , the No. 1 Dealer in the Northeast in sales), enticed me in early February that they would be able to waive the last 6 payments. But after negotiating for the same car you posted here, although I wanted a different color (Platinum Graphite or Storm Front Grey with a stone Deluxe Interior), drilling down into the lease order revealed that Infiniti Financial was absorbing 3 months {Pull Ahead program} , the other payments were "hidden" in the deal. If you got a $52K PP - I was quoted $55K for the same equipped car, you made a good deal.

Since this offer began to pique my interest into going for a M37X, I started to really pay attention to see if I saw many on the road in the NY Metro area. I don't. Actually very hard to find. There are a Bizzilion MB E350s, Lexus ESs, some more Audi A-6s. I'm thinking either the M is not well received or not priced right. An MB dealer told me after inquiring about a 2013 E350 4Matic that it was $10k off MSRP. They have better gas mileage than the M, they are attractive, LEDs galore, but: They have column mounted tranny shifter and include paddles for using the manual shift mode.

I located a 2012 M37x Harbour Blue / Slate Deluxe interior which really was attractive (to me anyway, it's a matter of taste, of curse), BUT it was not leasable by Infiniti Financial due to the model year. After January 31, 2013, it could not be leased. They are asking $50K for it. But since I started to Hunt for Ms, I don't find too many available locally. For a Black with Stone deluxe model (i've had 2 Black Gs in a row...getting tired of Black cars), I had a $538 / mo. lease negotiated with $2k down, 15k miles per year, 39 months, Plus TTL , so OTD at $5,500. I was informed today that this car was sold. The 2 dealers i've been dealing with, don't have any other Ms with Premium and Deluxe Touring Packages, which is what I want. I may just wait for the summer release of the New Q50.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
M37s red and m37x are two different feels
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
If you got a $52K PP - I was quoted $55K for the same equipped car, you made a good deal.
I was able to get mine (premium/touring) out the door (tax, tags all the BS charges) including the best extended warranty and a wheel/tire warranty for $52k. You just need to find a dealer willing to deal. Go the last day of the month.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 PM
JohnsVert

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by da mayor
M37s red and m37x are two different feels
How much different are they ? I've ridden in both the g37x and Xs , and I really didn't feel much of a difference in ride quality between the sport model and non sport.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:15 AM
SimpsonTide985

Originally Posted by djkmac
lol, sorry this sounds kindof wierd, but I can give you a point of view that is very similar to yours. I owned a 2011 limited g37 sedan as well, and have been debating on waiting for a Q50 or moving up to the M. I test drove the same car you did, (color and packages) and ended up going for the purchase. I figured the lease offers would be terrible even though the Q50 will start lower than the current G37's price. I got my M37 with prem/touring for $52,500; so the salesman isnt BSing on getting a good deal. But for me, the M is a whole different car. Such a better ride and experience, plus its nice to have decent sized back seats. Anyways, your review is spot on. Just thought it was funny you have the same car I had, and test drove the same car as I did.
Hah, wow! That is kinda weird, isn't it?

Well I enjoyed reading that.

I'm hoping I can get a good deal. I might sit down with my dealership next week and talk numbers.

The thing I'm wondering now is, what's actually planned for the 2014 M? Has anyone heard anything? Now that summer is approaching, the 2014 M's might be just a few months away and while I hear no drastic updates are anticipated (other than a badge update), I'm almost 100% sure they're going to make a few upgrades for the 2014 M to line up with some of the new features in the Q50.

Does anyone know for sure?

BTW, I'm actually thinking of getting an M37xS specifically. I'm looking for a Moonlight White with the Stone Sport interior:

I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)-lbbagy2.jpg I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)-mfxjdxk.jpg I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)-gf0x3u5.jpg I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)-tqb0qym.jpg

The light colors will be handy for the Arizona summers! The AWD will come in handy for monsoon season!

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 03-31-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:40 AM
SimpsonTide985

Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
For me, I felt the exterior of the M is nice, the wheels and massive wheel gap are bothersome. As for the Silver Ash wood .... I think it's wonderful, makes all other wood look boring IMHO. I love my M, will have owned it coming up on a year soon, with 6k miles. Could drive it all day as it's so comfortable. Not too mention that 0-60 in 5.9 sec isn't too shabby for a car this heavy.
The wheel gap didn't bother me--but to me honestI don't pay too much attention to it--The larger Sport wheels might help mitigate that.

Don't get me wrong, I really liked the Silver Ash wood a lot---I guess I just expected to be a bit more wowed by them up close. I still don't understand why the Silver Ash wood couldn't be a standalone luxury option along with the Sport package.

Very rarely do I ever punch my own G37 to its limits, so, pure power has never been the first thing I look for in a car. Either way, I really enjoyed the punch of he M37 for, as you mentioned, for a car its size. Plenty of power for everyday driving. I felt virtually no difference in overall power compared to the G37.

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 03-31-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 AM
SimpsonTide985

Originally Posted by Almatti
Simpsontide, I am going through the same thing. My G37X lease comes up in August. My local dealer (Pepe Infinti , White Plains, NY , the No. 1 Dealer in the Northeast in sales), enticed me in early February that they would be able to waive the last 6 payments. But after negotiating for the same car you posted here, although I wanted a different color (Platinum Graphite or Storm Front Grey with a stone Deluxe Interior), drilling down into the lease order revealed that Infiniti Financial was absorbing 3 months {Pull Ahead program} , the other payments were "hidden" in the deal. If you got a $52K PP - I was quoted $55K for the same equipped car, you made a good deal.

Since this offer began to pique my interest into going for a M37X, I started to really pay attention to see if I saw many on the road in the NY Metro area. I don't. Actually very hard to find. There are a Bizzilion MB E350s, Lexus ESs, some more Audi A-6s. I'm thinking either the M is not well received or not priced right. An MB dealer told me after inquiring about a 2013 E350 4Matic that it was $10k off MSRP. They have better gas mileage than the M, they are attractive, LEDs galore, but: They have column mounted tranny shifter and include paddles for using the manual shift mode.

I located a 2012 M37x Harbour Blue / Slate Deluxe interior which really was attractive (to me anyway, it's a matter of taste, of curse), BUT it was not leasable by Infiniti Financial due to the model year. After January 31, 2013, it could not be leased. They are asking $50K for it. But since I started to Hunt for Ms, I don't find too many available locally. For a Black with Stone deluxe model (i've had 2 Black Gs in a row...getting tired of Black cars), I had a $538 / mo. lease negotiated with $2k down, 15k miles per year, 39 months, Plus TTL , so OTD at $5,500. I was informed today that this car was sold. The 2 dealers i've been dealing with, don't have any other Ms with Premium and Deluxe Touring Packages, which is what I want. I may just wait for the summer release of the New Q50.
Ugh. Tough break.

Yeah, it's true, certain M's are just really hard to find, especially the AWD/x models. I'm in Arizona and there is one M that is perfect, but it's one state away north in Utah. Who knows how much it's gonna take to have it brought down or if I have to go up there to get it.

For me, a lot of the appeal of the M is the fact that isn't overly saturated in the way that BMW/Mercedes/Lexus is around here. From my perspective, "car guys" don't see Infiniti as an option at all when it comes to luxury/performance. It's either German or nothing. I think Infiniti's main appeal will primarily be for their SUV/Crossovers.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:16 AM
SimpsonTide985

Originally Posted by JohnsVert
How much different are they ? I've ridden in both the g37x and Xs , and I really didn't feel much of a difference in ride quality between the sport model and non sport.
See, what we need is to get the perspective of someone who has driven the sport and non-sport versions of the M37...

Last edited by SimpsonTide985; 03-31-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 PM
da mayor

Originally Posted by SimpsonTide985
See, what we need is to get the perspective of someone who has driven the sport and non-sport versions of the M37...
Night and day. M rwd have different struts,too. The leather wrapped steering wheel vs the non sport I enjoy
Old 03-31-2013, 11:51 PM
SimpsonTide985

Night and day. M rwd have different struts,too. The leather wrapped steering wheel vs the non sport I enjoy
What do you know about the performance of the M37xS?
Old 04-01-2013, 12:05 AM
da mayor

personally I prefer the RWD and I drive it in the snow w/ blizzaks and no issues. I think the AWD isn't necessary unless you live in a huge climate of snow.

I love the rear active steering and sport steering ratio of the RWD w/ sport package. The seats are more comfortable. Cons yes you can't have the semi- analine leather that's soft but the regular steering wheel feel isn't luxurious to me, the leather wrapped in the sport package is worth the upgrade itself.

suspension wise the sport package struts felt more stable with the car. I've owned my M for over 2 years now and enjoy it
Old 04-01-2013, 02:37 AM
SimpsonTide985

personally I prefer the RWD and I drive it in the snow w/ blizzaks and no issues. I think the AWD isn't necessary unless you live in a huge climate of snow.

I love the rear active steering and sport steering ratio of the RWD w/ sport package. The seats are more comfortable. Cons yes you can't have the semi- analine leather that's soft but the regular steering wheel feel isn't luxurious to me, the leather wrapped in the sport package is worth the upgrade itself.

suspension wise the sport package struts felt more stable with the car. I've owned my M for over 2 years now and enjoy it
Hmmm--Thanks---very informative...and you've been using the same tires too?

Do you have the Technology Package on your M?

I ask because I've been wondering about how the Active Trace Control works on the M37, but I haven't read anything on it from people who've utilized it or have the feature. It's one of the more appealing features in the Technology Package (the rest I don't really have a major use for).

Quick Reply: I test drove a 2013 M37 today (thoughts inside)