SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

Vert burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Calgarywinger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vert burning oil

Has anyone else experienced this?
Since the day I picked up the car last year it has been using oil (ester) at the rate of 1 liter/3000 kms or 1 qrt/~2K miles.
The first time this happened (last year) the Dealer recommended keeping an eye on it and that it was probably normal for "break-in" oil.
The car mostly sat all winter in the garage and I had the oil changed just before my trip in July.
I left Calgary on a 5000 kms trip (Pacific North-west loop) with new oil. When I got to Missoula (~700 kms) I noticed the oil level was at half. I picked up a quart of Ester oil at the local Nissan and topped up the car.
About 1500 kms later the level was again at half, I topped it up to full.
Upon my return to Calgary I checked the level and again it was at the half mark and was very dark.
There are no oil stains on my clean garage floor, no oil showing anywhere around the fill plug or the oil filter. I'm assuming that the car is burning it even though there is no smoke.
Back to the dealer with a list of minor issues (door panel damaged by seat belt, clicking rear axle). The service Tech wants to start an oil-usage survey to confirm whether the engine is actually burning more than normal, whatever normal is.
Is this a Vert issue?
I would appreciate any advice from other G owners.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
These engines DO consume oil, but it should not be at the rate you are describing. I'd say the max that would be acceptable is burning a quart per oil change at most.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by Calgarywinger
Has anyone else experienced this?
Since the day I picked up the car last year it has been using oil (ester) at the rate of 1 liter/3000 kms or 1 qrt/~2K miles.
The first time this happened (last year) the Dealer recommended keeping an eye on it and that it was probably normal for "break-in" oil.
The car mostly sat all winter in the garage and I had the oil changed just before my trip in July.
I left Calgary on a 5000 kms trip (Pacific North-west loop) with new oil. When I got to Missoula (~700 kms) I noticed the oil level was at half. I picked up a quart of Ester oil at the local Nissan and topped up the car.
About 1500 kms later the level was again at half, I topped it up to full.
Upon my return to Calgary I checked the level and again it was at the half mark and was very dark.
There are no oil stains on my clean garage floor, no oil showing anywhere around the fill plug or the oil filter. I'm assuming that the car is burning it even though there is no smoke.
Back to the dealer with a list of minor issues (door panel damaged by seat belt, clicking rear axle). The service Tech wants to start an oil-usage survey to confirm whether the engine is actually burning more than normal, whatever normal is.
Is this a Vert issue?
I would appreciate any advice from other G owners.
Thanks
I'ts not a vert issue, its a VQ issue. Most don't burn oil; a few of them do.
If you are 100% confident that it's not leaking somewhere, then it seems like the oil consumption test is something you should difinitely do. If it's found to be burning excessive oil (I think the consider >1 qt/3000 miles to be excessive) I believe that they usually just replace your engine.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I took a long highway trip before having the oil changed, at 6,000 miles, for the first time. The oil level never went below the full mark.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Calgarywinger

Hi Black Betty,
Thanks for the reply. I strongly suspect that this dealer will be extremely reluctant to swap engines. Do you think that going to a different oil (conventional 5W30) would fix this problem?
I'm ok with more frequent oil changes as long as the engine performs as expected.
Dan
Old 08-04-2010, 01:03 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Black Betty,
Thanks for the reply. I strongly suspect that this dealer will be extremely reluctant to swap engines. Do you think that going to a different oil (conventional 5W30) would fix this problem?
I'm ok with more frequent oil changes as long as the engine performs as expected.
Dan
If you are burning excessive oil then you should absolutley WANT to have the engine replaced. Please document this issue carefully (which it sounds like you have been) and speak to the Service Manager and stay on top of this until it is resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Hi Black Betty,
Dan
If it's burning excessive oil, you really want them to replace the engine, not put a band aid on a bullet wound by trying to change to a different oil. If you are using the Nissan ester oil that they so heavily recommend and push and it's consuming that much oil at such a low mileage, it's only got potential to get worse not better as the engine wears and gets older.

If they perform the test and it shows to be excessive consumption, I dont see how they will deny fixing the issue. As has been said many times, the dealership stands to profit from this, not lose money so they shouldn't give you a hard time.

I definitely would not change oils now, as the oil that you are consuming is their own recommended oil for best performance. This can only help your case. Once they fix the issue, use what you like.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Calgarywinger

Thanks Guys, I'll let you know how it turns out. I absolutely agree that Infiniti should fix the problem. I'm sure glad I stuck with their recommended oil from day one.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Calgarywinger

Excessive oil consumption update

Well, I got the car back yesterday and am quite impressed with the service at this Dealer (Hyatt Infiniti, Calgary).
- Excessive oil: The Tech changed the oil and filled the engine to the high mark. I'm to bring the car back at 3000 kms (no appointment nescessary) at which time the Tech will check the level and record the reading. We'll do this a few times and go from there.
- Click in the rear axle: As per ITB the Tech repacked the grease in the drive shafts and replaced the bolts. No charge
- Seat belt not retracting and dimples on the inside door panels: Tech took pictures, checked the retracting mechanisms and is sending the data to Infiniti for resolution. He mentioned that they will replace the door panels (both sides) but that fixing the belts to retract properly might be a challenge. By the way the '10 Vert has the same issues.
- Clutch check: Couldn't find anything wrong with either the clutch or the master cylinder but recorded the complaint in case of future problems.
Way to go Hyatt
Old 08-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Awesome, I'm glad they took your concerns seriously and helped you out. Keep an eye on that oil level as you progress through your 3000 km and keep us updated. If it got down to half a quart low I would suggest taking it in to show them even if you haven't driven 3000 km yet.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Calgarywinger

Good advice, thanks Black Betty
Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 AM
jsweaz

My 09 G37S 6MT Vert just had a short block replacement at 8K miles. "Oil consumption issue". I'm still in the break-in period. I spoke candidly with the tech and he strongly advised me to check the oil religiously ever 200 miles because his recommendation was a complete long block replacement, but Infiniti Corporate denied that request. I believe there are now some tsbs available in regards to a limited run of G's mated to the 6MT in regards to short block replacements due to Oil Consumption.

What Joy.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Calgarywinger

Hi Jsweaz,
How much oil was your original engine using?
Were you using Ester oil?
Dan