Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

MYG37 Improvement Opportunity - New Member Disregard for Forum Rules

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 10:21 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Received 558 Likes on 390 Posts
MYG37 Improvement Opportunity - New Member Disregard for Forum Rules

I'd like to start by saying MyG37 is a great site and resource with an excellent staff who help facilitate smooth operation. This improvement opportunity is with the intention of maintaining this sites integrity and ease of use, by reducing clutter and pointless threads. This is NOT a generalization of ALL new members. I welcome all new members as they are a vital component of this sites success.

On to the improvement opportunity...

I think there should be some sort of action taken when a thread is made that is clearly only cluttering the site. These posts blatently show a member has not searched or read the rules of the forum, and only selfishly want people to do the work for them. These are typically not contributing members, and typically not experienced members, since they know better and can easily find information for simple questions.

I bring this up because I am seeing an abundance of ridiculous questions like "Yo wat size rimz cans I get for $1k and wat site is cheapest?!?!?!"

I think asking questions is important, but only when a person takes the time to show they have put in effort and want feedback on their findings, not have others do the searching for them.

Maybe a warning for the first offense, followed by progressive length suspensions from the forum?

I realize the staff is busy, maybe there is a way to implement a "button" that regular members can flag these posts.

I think this will only get worse with time if there isn't an actual reason to deter members from posts such as these.

Thoughts? I'm sure as a team we can come up with a reasonable and effective solution.

Last edited by Ryne; 03-10-2016 at 10:37 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Ryne:
Gio37 (03-11-2016), kennyz424 (03-10-2016), Rochester (03-11-2016), Vizard_87 (03-13-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
There is a report post button (exclamation point in the center of a blue triangle) at the the bottom left of every post, beneath the user name. Click it and report posts or threads in question. They will either got moved to the newb forum where people are free to ask stupid or redundant questions and people who want to help them can do so and everyone else is free to completely ignore the entire forum, or they may be deleted altogether. Some people are new to forums altogether and don't know how things work. Some are lazy, ignorant, self centered a-holes who expect or demand to be catered toimmediately by someone telling them an answer instantly without them even trying to find the information. Those guys don't last long here.

Feel free to go through and flag some of the threads in question by clicking the report post button and they'll get cleaned up. Thanks for the kind words and appreciation for the staff and for caring about our forum.

And thanks for actually posting the correct type of thread in this forum, which usually has random non forum related questions by noobs who don't read far enough to see what this forum is actually for.
The following users liked this post:
kennyz424 (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by Black Betty
There is a report post button (exclamation point in the center of a blue triangle) at the the bottom left of every post, beneath the user name. Click it and report posts or threads in question. They will either got moved to the newb forum where people are free to ask stupid or redundant questions and people who want to help them can do so and everyone else is free to completely ignore the entire forum, or they may be deleted altogether. Some people are new to forums altogether and don't know how things work. Some are lazy, ignorant, self centered a-holes who expect or demand to be catered toimmediately by someone telling them an answer instantly without them even trying to find the information. Those guys don't last long here.

Feel free to go through and flag some of the threads in question by clicking the report post button and they'll get cleaned up. Thanks for the kind words and appreciation for the staff and for caring about our forum.

And thanks for actually posting the correct type of thread in this forum, which usually has random non forum related questions by noobs who don't read far enough to see what this forum is actually for.
I wasn't sure if that was a proper use for the report button, so thanks for the clarification. I think we both know, as these cars become more affordable, these types of posts will be more prevalent. I know each forum operates differently, but I was a part of a car forum where the car reached a certain level of affordability and there had to be strict rules in place for posting, otherwise there were consequences. I just thought I'd voice this though since I'm seeing meaningful posts buried in a sea of exhaust and wheel threads asking very basic questions that can be found with a simple search.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

We are headed into that place with the G37 and have been for a few years now. At first things were fairly normal. Now that almost anyone can afford used high mileage G's the level of the forum has taken a precipitous dip. We often get a different caliber of member than we used to get. A lot more bros who scooped a sick whip than car enthusiasts. G35driver had this happen to them many years ago. We deal with it as best we can. It's not the end of the world but it is a contributing factor in losing interest and participation from a number of long time valuable contributing members who have simply moved on from this car or this forum or both.

I ignore a lot so as not to get too irritated by the BS and waste too much of my time. I try not to overmoderate. If I'm ignoring too much, let me (and others) know by reporting it.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:36 PM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

We are headed into that place with the G37 and have been for a few years now. At first things were fairly normal. Now that almost anyone can afford used high mileage G's the level of the forum has taken a precipitous dip. We often get a different caliber of member than we used to get. A lot more bros who scooped a sick whip than car enthusiasts. G35driver had this happen to them many years ago. We deal with it as best we can. It's not the end of the world but it is a contributing factor in losing interest and participation from a number of long time valuable contributing members who have simply moved on from this car or this forum or both.

I ignore a lot so as not to get too irritated by the BS and waste too much of my time. I try not to overmoderate. If I'm ignoring too much, let me (and others) know by reporting it.
I appreciate the time you spent on the well thought out responses. More of a vent than anything after receiving a harassing PM from a
Old 03-10-2016, 09:03 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I saw the PM. You were right to ignore it and move on. Morons gotta moron. If you get any further harassment, let me know.
slartibartfast (04-07-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:04 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
you should see the the PMs i get asking me to spoon feed my wheel info to them.

its frustrating when i have FS threads and all of a sudden i get a PM and its asking me about my specs instead of someone interested in my wheels.

honestly a 2 second search they could find my info all over the forum. there's even a dedicated sticky thread that has everything in it.................................
Old 03-10-2016, 10:15 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I vote to enlarge and make the search button bold red text.

When someone clicks on the new thread button they should be taken to a landing page where the search option is offered. Then, only after completing a captcha are they able to generate a new thread. This should be applicable to anyone with say less than 100 posts of 6 months of membership.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
And I thought the site feedback/suggestion folder was just a place to post temporary threads to move to their proper locations.
Old 03-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by blnewt
And I thought the site feedback/suggestion folder was just a place to post temporary threads to move to their proper locations.

Seriously, I look exactly like this sometimes when I log in to this forum.
blnewt (03-10-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:29 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt

Seriously, I look exactly like this sometimes when I log in to this forum.
It's been a bit out of control as of late
Old 03-11-2016, 08:02 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,606 Likes on 3,449 Posts
Maxima.org is organized according to model generation... 3rd Gen, 4th Gen, 5th Gen, etc. And whenever demographics shifted down-model because of changes to affordability, you'd start seeing phrases like, "The 5th Gen forum is becoming the new 4th Gen forum." And so on. I'd like to think Nissan's lame CVT killed whatever was left of auto enthusiasm on Maxima.org, but probably not.

It's just a fact of life in car forums, guys. Death, taxes and stupid noobs.

The only constant here is the lack of women.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 AM
G37xhibeet

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts
This thread is pretty much how I feel about those G/VQ Facebook groups.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:06 AM
G37sGraphite

Received 140 Likes on 115 Posts
I knew people in work like you OP. They did not want to help the new stock brokers because they had the mentality that -no one helped me - and -they can find out that information themselves- (like a search button) etc. I was the guy who helped all the new guys regardless of what stupid questions everyone thought they were asking and believe me newbs asks really stupid questions in the stock broker world. Honestly this forum is not super active....coming from the Corvette forum and M3 forums which you can ask a question and have the answer in a couple of minutes. I have seen people ask legitimate questions and not get a response for a day or two....So who cares? Its not like they are clouding up the forum because its not that active anyway relative to other forums. Bottom line is, if you dont like the stupid questions then dont open the threads. Its that simple....why go through all the trouble of reporting them ....heck thats harder then helping them. Plus thats the staffs job...not yours...no one likes a cop wanna be...
IMOP.....of course I am a newb here, but believe me not a newb when it comes to modifying and working on cars....

Last edited by G37sGraphite; 03-11-2016 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM
Ryne
The Steering Wheel Guy

Originally Posted by G37sGraphite
I knew people in work like you OP. They did not want to help the new stock brokers because they had the mentality that no one helped me and they can find out that information themselves (search button) etc. I was the guy who helped all the new guys regardless of what stupid questions everyone thought they were asking. Honestly this forum is not super active....coming from the Corvette forum and M3 forums which you can ask a question and have the answer in a couple of minutes. I have seen people ask questions and not get a response for a day or two....So who cares? Its not like they are clouding up the forum because its not that active anyway relative...to other forums. Bottom line is, if you dont like the stupid questions then dont open the threads. Its that simple....why go through all the trouble of reporting them. Thats the staffs job...not yours.
You must have had your own personal interpretation of my post. You say "Bottom line is, if you dont like the stupid questions then dont open the threads.", but how do you see said question without opening a thread? I also said that questions are fine, and I encourage them. It's just more productive when the OP actually puts in some effort instead of looking to be spoon fed.

I don't see how I am the stock broker you speak of that doesn't want to help anyone. I have posted "How Tos" answer numerous questions, some good, and even some that could have been easily searched. This is obvious by my 365 thanks I've received on this forum. I definitely consider myself a contributing member. I wouldn't be surprised if I have or will answer one of your questions at some point.

Sorry your bad experiences have blurred your perspective on this. I think the funniest part is that you tell me to ignore threads, but here you are posting in my thread about how you don't like it...

Last edited by Ryne; 03-11-2016 at 09:23 AM.

Quick Reply: MYG37 Improvement Opportunity - New Member Disregard for Forum Rules