Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LooksLikeASport
Happened again. I opened a new Incognito window in Chrome, I clicked my bookmarked link to Private Classifieds - MyG37 and then I walked away from the computer for a bit and came back to this:
Thanks for the screenshot. We're working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Please let me know if the issue happens to you under any under circumstances, such as when visiting a different section of the forum or when Incognito browsing is turned off.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:24 AM
LooksLikeASport

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Jason
Thanks for the screenshot. We're working to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. Please let me know if the issue happens to you under any under circumstances, such as when visiting a different section of the forum or when Incognito browsing is turned off.
So I tested with Incognito, and without. I was only able to replicate the issue in Incognito mode, and only in the private classifieds section (obviously this does not mean that other sections are not affected).

What I have noticed is that it is redirected immediately. Say I open a new tab, click on my bookmark to the private classifieds section, and I'm redirected to the "java update" page...if I click the back button, it goes back to a blank tab. It does not go back to the private classifieds section that it was originally supposed to go to.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 AM
Brian6t5
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for letting us know. Were you by any chance using Internet Explorer's InPrivate Browsing option when you got redirected?

I'm not computer savvy, so I really don't know what that is.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:19 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

So I tested with Incognito, and without. I was only able to replicate the issue in Incognito mode, and only in the private classifieds section (obviously this does not mean that other sections are not affected).

What I have noticed is that it is redirected immediately. Say I open a new tab, click on my bookmark to the private classifieds section, and I'm redirected to the "java update" page...if I click the back button, it goes back to a blank tab. It does not go back to the private classifieds section that it was originally supposed to go to.
Thanks for taking the time to test with and without Incognito mode. Can you please send me the specific URL of your private classifieds bookmark?

Originally Posted by Brian6t5
I'm not computer savvy, so I really don't know what that is.
Not a problem. InPrivate Browsing is an Internet Explorer option that allows you to visit a webpage without it adding cookies to your computer or being saved in your browser's history. The option is turned off by default, so if you are unfamiliar with it, it most likely hasn't been enabled.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:45 PM
LooksLikeASport

Thanks for taking the time to test with and without Incognito mode. Can you please send me the specific URL of your private classifieds bookmark?
I PM'ed you the URL.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:05 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Your computer itself may have a virus on it. Sometimes add-ons from different sites can get saved to your computer causing it to redirect. It's not necessarily this website, but a bug in your computer itself. If using Chrome or Firefox, install the add-on AdBlock. It is a free attachment and blocks a lot of popups. Try this first to see if it works. Next I would advise running a system scan. What firewall are you using? Do you have another program that you use to scan your computer? If you're running windows, try using the program that Microsoft includes - Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:22 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by monytx
Your computer itself may have a virus on it. Sometimes add-ons from different sites can get saved to your computer causing it to redirect. It's not necessarily this website, but a bug in your computer itself. If using Chrome or Firefox, install the add-on AdBlock. It is a free attachment and blocks a lot of popups. Try this first to see if it works. Next I would advise running a system scan. What firewall are you using? Do you have another program that you use to scan your computer? If you're running windows, try using the program that Microsoft includes - Windows Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials.
I doubt that is the problem. Multiple people have seen this issue. I have seen it happen on two different machines, one work laptop and one personal laptop. It has never occurred when I have AdBlock turned on, only when it is off (in Incognito mode, AdBlock gets turned off). Because of this, I am lead to believe that the issue might be caused by an advertisement.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM
LooksLikeASport

It happened again, this time I was clicking a bookmark to a different page on myg37.com. The link I clicked on was this: https://www.myg37.com/forums/audio-v...nexus-7-a.html

I actually saw myg37 start to load, and then it redirected to a "Chrome Update" website. A picture is attached. Here is the link to that page:
Code:
http://pcupgradenow.com/su/en/1/4da909388c412451c21ecc437d685e21d7fb04c9b7bfd110c29d7a0b2cb21d46:1405340875/?sid=2858&uid=24067_45224752&filename=software_updater&b=7d97708c
Attached Thumbnails Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?-capture.png  
Old 07-14-2014, 03:27 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

I appreciate the continuing updates! We're still investigating the issue, so please keep me posted on any additional redirects that may occur.
Old 07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
11Blueslate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was hit with the Java update in explorer also but stupid me clicked on it because it really looked legit since I have updated Java many times before . 2 days later there was a different search engine instead of google . I had to use the "restore to a earlier point" feature in windows to completely remove it . since the restore it has been fine .And it was from this site because similar stuff has happened but I didnt think anything of it and just refreshed the page , if it happens again I will make sure to screen shot it .
Old 07-15-2014, 08:50 PM
IB Jason
Internet Brands

Originally Posted by 11Blueslate
I was hit with the Java update in explorer also but stupid me clicked on it because it really looked legit since I have updated Java many times before . 2 days later there was a different search engine instead of google . I had to use the "restore to a earlier point" feature in windows to completely remove it . since the restore it has been fine .And it was from this site because similar stuff has happened but I didnt think anything of it and just refreshed the page , if it happens again I will make sure to screen shot it .
Sorry you had to go through all that. Please pass along the screenshot whenever you take it.

Thanks!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM
11Blueslate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its ok wasn't my computer lol work computer
Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts

I doubt that is the problem. Multiple people have seen this issue. I have seen it happen on two different machines, one work laptop and one personal laptop. It has never occurred when I have AdBlock turned on, only when it is off (in Incognito mode, AdBlock gets turned off). Because of this, I am lead to believe that the issue might be caused by an advertisement.
You can also enable adblock in incognito mode. Just go into adblocks options and hit enable during incognito or something.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:34 PM
LooksLikeASport

Originally Posted by monytx
You can also enable adblock in incognito mode. Just go into adblocks options and hit enable during incognito or something.
Yes, it can be found under Settings->Extensions->AdBlock->"Allow in incognito"
Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 AM
LooksLikeASport

Maybe I just haven't noticed them before...but are there new types of Ads in the private classifieds section at the bottom of the first post of a new thread?

I attached a screenshot with the Ad circled in blue...
Attached Thumbnails Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?-capture.jpg  

Quick Reply: Advertisements that Redirect to Malware?