G37 Sedan

What did you do to your Sedan today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,621 Likes on 3,462 Posts
Today - 4.083 rear gears and Whiteline Differential bushings.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Today - 4.083 rear gears and Whiteline Differential bushings.
I believe that's the biggest mod of the day, at least form the seat of your pants impressions. NICE!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I'm really curious of your thoughts on NVH of the diff bushings, Rochester.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Finally changed my rear diff fluid! Red Line 75W90. Everything went smooth except for my pump injecting air and taking forever to pump ($7 at wal-mart, Pennzoil pump). Got a good amount of shavings off the drain plug as expected and oil was definitely ready to be changed.
Note - A paint tray is perfect for this when your oil drain pan is to large to fit between your jack stands. I had to use the sub frame since i'm cheap and haven't bought hockey pucks for the pinch welds yet
Will be doing the front when I get a chance.

Last edited by tank99; 05-05-2017 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling police
Old 05-05-2017, 08:21 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 837 Likes on 716 Posts
I'm curious how a fluid could be defiant.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:26 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 507 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Virtually none. Especially when compared to the transmission mount, which I found to be way too much.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
My focus was on the gears, but I couldn't help but be aware there was something new going on here, not just in the throttle response and increase bottom-end, but a new "solidity" for lack of a better word. The car feels tight. Noticeably tight, and in a great way. No added NVH at all. Then again, with my tranny mount, it would get lost if there were any.

You might be wondering if there is an improved throttle response with the diff buttoned down, and all I can say is "probably". Truth is, these gears make the low-end so freaking instantaneous, any gains by the diff bushings are masked.

My mechanic absolutely hated doing the main diff bushing. Greasy ooze everywhere, and an inner ring that caused him hours of frustration.

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Virtually none. Especially when compared to the transmission mount, which I found to be way too much.
There is no comparison. The poly transmission mount is an NVH monster. Some like it. Most don't.

Don't hate me for being a hypocrite, but after a year of this mount, I'm starting to ask myself if it's time to go back to OEM. I'm old.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:06 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 234 Likes on 163 Posts
So close....
What did you do to your Sedan today?-yvpt7wn.jpg
Old 05-06-2017, 12:11 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Finally got around to taking my steering wheel off and doing a proper wrap. Sewing took about an hour. Black suede and grey leather go really nicely together. Ill take some pics installed tomorrow if it stops raining and I can go outside...

Old 05-06-2017, 03:38 AM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
My focus was on the gears, but I couldn't help but be aware there was something new going on here, not just in the throttle response and increase bottom-end, but a new "solidity" for lack of a better word. The car feels tight. Noticeably tight, and in a great way. No added NVH at all. Then again, with my tranny mount, it would get lost if there were any.

You might be wondering if there is an improved throttle response with the diff buttoned down, and all I can say is "probably". Truth is, these gears make the low-end so freaking instantaneous, any gains by the diff bushings are masked.

My mechanic absolutely hated doing the main diff bushing. Greasy ooze everywhere, and an inner ring that caused him hours of frustration.

There is no comparison. The poly transmission mount is an NVH monster. Some like it. Most don't.

Don't hate me for being a hypocrite, but after a year of this mount, I'm starting to ask myself if it's time to go back to OEM. I'm old.
If you don't mind me asking, what did the gears and bushings cost, installed? And is there any drawback to doing this? Everyone seems to rave about them, just makes me wonder why Infiniti didn't just gear it that way to begin with.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Furlow
If you don't mind me asking, what did the gears and bushings cost, installed? And is there any drawback to doing this? Everyone seems to rave about them, just makes me wonder why Infiniti didn't just gear it that way to begin with.
I've been talking about the gears in my progress thread, and will likely not shut up about this mod for a while, LOL. The only drawback I can speak to at this point is lower highway MPG, and added highway drone because of the higher RPM while cruising. As for gains... OMG, Furlow. So much better than expected, because it's totally driveable. In fact, I'd even say it's *more* driveable now because I'll be living in 3rd gear for low speed maneuvers instead of 2nd gear.

Cost... in big, round numbers, this was a $2000 mod. I have the exact dollars spent elsewhere, but off the top of my head, here you go:

Gear & Pinion - $600
Rebuild Kit - $250
Gear Oil - $30 x2
Diff Bushings - $100
Installation - $900

Last edited by Rochester; 05-06-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 507 Likes on 436 Posts

I can't believe you've made it a year with it. I think it was just you and 4DR that didn't find the NVH obnoxious.

I saw in another thread you comment on your car being a little too brutal at times. Going back to the OEM trans mount would certainly dial that back.

The great thing about the diff bushing is you get a lot of the benefits of the trans mount without the NVH. The rear feels tighter, and the whole drivetrain has less slop.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Furlow

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I've been talking about the gears in my progress thread, and will likely not shut up about this mod for a while, LOL. The only drawback I can speak to at this point is lower highway MPG, and added highway drone because of the higher RPM while cruising. As for gains... OMG, Furlow. So much better than expected, because it's totally driveable. In fact, I'd even say it's *more* driveable now because I'll be living in 3rd gear for low speed maneuvers instead of 2nd gear.

Cost... in big, round numbers, this was a $2000 mod. I have the exact dollars spent elsewhere, but off the top of my head, here you go:

Gear & Pinion - $600
Rebuild Kit - $250
Gear Oil - $30 x2
Diff Bushings - $100
Installation - $900
I actually found your progress thread after I posted this, but thank you. I do about 30% freeway driving, so I'm a little reluctant. Although I'm in the same boat as you as far as overall annual miles. I'd be curious what your RPMs look like at 70-80 MPH and what the effect on MPG is. If it's 10% as you stated in your progress thread, that seems tolerable. Although I already feel like the RPMs are kinda high for this car at highway speeds.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:57 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Installed

Old 05-06-2017, 11:29 AM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Where did you get that wrap from? redline?

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Sedan today?