NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Thoughts on new MA inspections?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 11:11 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Thoughts on new MA inspections?

I first heard about the changes to the MA car inspections from a buddy that works at a dealership -- who was forced to pay $6,000 to replace their equipment. Now I'm worried that I'll have trouble getting a sticker if my car is too low, because I have an aftermarket cat, or CAI. Good thing is I don't have to find out for another 11 months as I needed a new sticker just before this went into effect. Anyone in MA hear about this or have experienced any issues yet?

Massachusetts Car Enthusiasts Fear New Inspection Program - The Drive

"But the issues that concern most Massachusetts auto enthusiasts have to do with the safety inspection required of all vehicles, mainly ride height and exhausts. State law prohibits deviating from the factory ride height by more than two inches higher or lower. Additionally, federal law prohibits tampering with catalytic converters and requires any car originally equipped with one to have one installed."

"Cats aren't the only concern. The law is that emission/evaporator systems can't be modified. No EGR removal, no cold air intakes, no forced induction mods. I'm guessing that CARB exempt systems are still OK, but no actual statements about that, so as far as anyone knows this state could be tougher than California."
Old 10-05-2017, 11:37 AM
bassy
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Yeah, I'm worried about this new inspection bs, too. At least I have until next Aug before my next inspection. I also have an aftermarket exhaust and I will soon install Berk HFCs and Megan Racing Y pipe. My front windows are tinted at the legal limit, but my rear windshield is at 20%. My front windshield is also tinted at 70%. I've never had problems with both windshields, but I'm not sure if they're gonna able to measure them now. If it's such a hassle to get my car pass this new bs safety inspection, I may as well get a Prius. I thought Cali sucked, but Mass sucks even more now.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:16 PM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
The CMR has not changed at all. This is the same inspection requirements as last year... if you passed then, you should pass now. But I think that with the camera system, inspectors will be less lenient with tint and exhaust.

Time to lobby, my friends.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:27 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr_Mer
The CMR has not changed at all. This is the same inspection requirements as last year... if you passed then, you should pass now. But I think that with the camera system, inspectors will be less lenient with tint and exhaust.

Time to lobby, my friends.
I've heard that too. I've also heard they aren't going to look under the car and they aren't allowed to look under the hood so if that's the case then you're right, if you passed last time you should pass again.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Mr_Mer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
And yes, they are much less lenient. Went on Monday to do my inspection, got a big fat R sticker... tint. Min transparency is 30, I got 27 so I need to rip it out to get the proper sticker. When they jack it on to check play on the wheels they are looking for cat converters, or so it looked to me. This inspector didn't find any objections to my Berk/Ark sound level.

Note: inspector commented that painted headlights are not technically a violation as the CMR and other literature they have does not speak to it, but if you don't have amber reflectors you will fail safety inspection.